Menu

The Art of Styling Sentences

That book looks interesting! I wonder how much it overlaps with Killgallon? It seems it goes further however.

Heh... I was thinking just the same thing. I need another great book on writing like a hole in the head, but, but.... it looks so interesting! :tongue_smilie:

I think teaching company has a video series on sentences, don't they?

I have been trying to concentrate on organization of paragraphs and essays with the color coding method of Step Up To Writing, and spelling and punctuation; and trying not to get too side tracked with the enormity of topics within "Language Arts".

I tend to collect many books, skim them all, and master none :-(

I taught it as part of my writing class this year, in which I went "smaller instead of larger" with students who had already mastered the form of an essay. We worked on sentences and paragraphs, which get short shrift often once high school students are writing longer works. It was great to build on the patterns my students had already learned in IEW. I highly recommend it! For writers who are already competent in basic grammar and correct sentence structure, it is a lovely way to encourage experimentation and creativity.

Edited by angela in ohio

There is some overlap with Killgallon, but it's also a great book. I bought it to use with Killgallon next year and have started writing out a plan for combining the two, but haven't finished it yet. The twenty sentence patterns from the book can be found here, but also, if you Google "twenty sentence patterns" you'll find many other helpful resources.