Menu

Crockpot summer meals?

What do you make in your crockpot during the summers (looking for lighter meals to lose this winter weight)?

There are three nights a week when DH and DS9 aren't home until 7:45pm, and my youngest sometimes makes it impossible for me to even start cooking until after they are home. I'm hoping to start using a crockpot more so we aren't eating dinner half an hour before bedtime.

Edited by joannqn

Here are two recipes I use--one for pork and one for chicken. The pork needs to be marinated, but the chicken can go straight into the crockpot.

Southern Barbecued Pork on a Bun (From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook):

1 cup ketchup

1 cup prepared chili sauce

1/4 c. Dijon mustard

3 tbsp cider vinegar

3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp honey

1 tbsp soy sauce

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 3-lb boneless Boston pork butt (trim extra fat)

3/4 c. water

Rolls

Combine everything through the garlic and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Cool to room temp. Marinate with pork in a ziptop bag at least 8 hours or overnight (turn bag a few times, if possible). Put pork in slow cooker. Mix marinade with water, then pour over meat and cook on low until pork is fork-tender (8-10 hours). Let pork rest about ten minutes before slicing or shredding. Serve on buns with sauce.

Slow-Cooked Pulled Barbecue Chicken (Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two--I usually multipy it for more people)

1 small white or yellow onion, chopped

1 small garlic clove, minced

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1/2 c. ketchup

2 tbsp cider vinegar

2 tbsp light brown sugar

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder (adds a nice smokiness but can be left out. sometimes it can be hard to find)

1/4 tsp salt

Scatter onion and garlic over the bottom of the crockpot. Arrange chicken thighs on top. Stir remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cook on low 7-8 hrs until chicken is fork-tender. Remove chicken, shred, and stir back into sauce.