Menu

The Elson Readers question

I have used Level 3 and purchased from Lost Classics Book Company. I used the teacher's guide as well as the reader. The guide has comprehension questions and vocabulary words. For each story, there is a simple worksheet that reinforced a variety of concepts (opinion/fact, sequence, contractions).

Hard copies are published through Lost Classics Books:

http://lostclassicsbooks.com/catalog/6

However, I've always bought mine via Amazon. You can use them with or without the workbooks (teacher's guide), depending upon your purpose.

They are a wonderful collection. My children are on Level 3 and 4 and they've read them from the beginning.

HTH,

Rachel

I have been using these

Amazon.com: READING-LITERATURE Third Reader (Yesterday's Classics) (9781599152677): Harriette Taylor Treadwell, Margaret Free,

but they stop at grade 4 and don't have a TE to go with them...but they look pretty similar, yes??

here is a link for you to look inside

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previews/treadwell_third_preview.pdf

Edited by NEprairemom

Incidentally, you can get all the Treadwell/Free readers online up to grade 6 at least. I used them and liked them (and we discussed them in the recent non-babyish readers thread).

From Google Books -- where some are mislabeled --

Reading--literature: the primer

Reading-literature: Book 1

Reading Literature: Second Reader

Reading Literature: Third reader

Reading-literature fourth reader

Reading Literature: Fifth reader (took me forever to find!)

Reading-literature : sixth reader

And the manual -- Primary reading and literature: a manual for teachers

Primer through Year 3 at Main Lesson (nicely formatted for reading off a computer screen).

Edited by stripe

Incidentally, you can get all the Treadwell/Free readers online up to grade 6 at least. I used them and liked them (and we discussed them in the recent non-babyish readers thread).

From Google Books -- where some are mislabeled --

Reading--literature: the primer

Reading-literature: Book 1

Reading Literature: Second Reader

Reading Literature: Third reader

Reading-literature fourth reader

Reading Literature: Fifth reader (took me forever to find!)

Reading-literature : sixth reader

And the manual -- Primary reading and literature: a manual for teachers

Primer through Year 3 at Main Lesson (nicely formatted for reading off a computer screen).

Does anybody know if I can BUY these books...I would rather my kids have the book in their hands...not read off a computer screen.

Does anybody know if I can BUY these books...I would rather my kids have the book in their hands...not read off a computer screen.

I bought the primer and #1 from Amazon, the ones published by Yesterday's Classics. They have primer through #3.

Note that there IS a teacher's manual. There are some overpriced versions you can buy. For that price, I'd rather just print off the website and hole-punch.

I bought the Free & Treadwell primer & First reader from Amazon (not a marketplace seller) for around $10 each a couple of years ago. I think you can find at least up to the 3rd reader on there...

I am sorry, I wasn't clear...I have the primer through 4th grade...I would like the 5th and 6th grade books...I guess I never thought to just print the and hole punch the teacher's guide...that is a good idea. Is it worth the money to do that??

kfeusse, you can buy a hard copy printed like a regular book.

Follow stripe's links to the 5th, 6th, and teacher manual (I think that's what you wanted, right?). There on Google Books, on the left-hand side there is a blue button that says Free. Scroll down inside that window and you will see Get This Book. Click on the On Demand Books link.

On Demand Books are little printing presses that bind it and make it just like a regular paperback book. Some of the places that have these will ship them, or you might be able to find one in your area and go pick it up.

you don't think it is worth it?? Maybe I will just consider the books. I just wish I could find a hard copy of the 5th and 6th grade book.

No, I wouldn't pay $20+ for a book that I can read online, print out for a few dollars at most, and is less than 75 pages, unless there was some compelling reason (like great artwork).

The OnDemand books link for the manual takes you to

http://net.ondemandbooks.com/google/t9xEAAAAIAAJ

and might I add, the prices are $10 and under. Not sure why it lists the page number as so large.

kfeusse, you can buy a hard copy printed like a regular book.

Follow stripe's links to the 5th, 6th, and teacher manual (I think that's what you wanted, right?). There on Google Books, on the left-hand side there is a blue button that says Free. Scroll down inside that window and you will see Get This Book. Click on the On Demand Books link.

On Demand Books are little printing presses that bind it and make it just like a regular paperback book. Some of the places that have these will ship them, or you might be able to find one in your area and go pick it up.

thank you for this...I didn't kown how that all worked. I appreciate it.

Kathy

No, I wouldn't pay $20+ for a book that I can read online, print out for a few dollars at most, and is less than 75 pages, unless there was some compelling reason (like great artwork).

The OnDemand books link for the manual takes you to

http://net.ondemandbooks.com/google/t9xEAAAAIAAJ

and might I add, the prices are $10 and under. Not sure why it lists the page number as so large.

thanks for this too.