Menu

Microwave oven question... purely curious

When we moved into our rental home, the brand new microwave came with a removable metal rack inside. It is not a combo convection/microwave, just a standard microwave. How can a metal rack be used safely in a microwave? I've been wondering about this since July, and my curiosity finally got the better of me, and I have nothing better to do tonight, so I thought I'd post this rambling question on the boards :tongue_smilie: (PMS does weird things to me...)

Some microwaves do have those. I suppose we could google about it, but it's more fun to speculate.

I'm thinking it's alien technology. Some sort of polymer that the Vulcans left by accident that is impervious to microwaves.

Some microwaves do have those. I suppose we could google about it, but it's more fun to speculate.

EXACTLY!!!!

I'm thinking it's alien technology. Some sort of polymer that the Vulcans left by accident that is impervious to microwaves.

THAT'S IT!!! Alien tech.

Have you tried it yet? Are sparks flying? :D Is it actual metal?

I am not much of a microwave user but this is interesting...

I never tried it once. Too chicken. The landlord didn't give us a manual, and I'm a RULE FOLLOWER, and I don't want to miss some special setting allowing for forbidden metal in a microwave.

You know, that is a good question! You can put a metal bowl in a micro and it is like the 4th of July in there, but those racks just sit in there...Hmmm...:confused: Maybe they're coated with some super strength stuff?

Get thee to Google and report back! :D

I had a microwave 20 yrs ago that allowed for some metal.

I think the deal is that you cannot contain the waves. They bounce off of metal, esp large solid pieces, so a bowl or a wrapper will be a problem, but thin metal should be alright (so should a spoon)

I am not a scientist, nor do I play on TV.

Lara

The landlord didn't give us a manual, and I'm a RULE FOLLOWER, and I don't want to miss some special setting allowing for forbidden metal in a microwave.

You can find most manuals online ;)

We just bought a combo convection/microwave oven. Ours says not to use the rack on the microwave setting. But, it has a combo setting (microwave AND convection) and in THAT you can use the rack, so I would guess it's fine in the microwave, too.

It's hard to undo all those years of training, isn't it!