Menu

Which level of FLL for a boy entering 3rd grade?

This was our first year to HS and the curriculum we used with our DS 8 was lacking in grammar.

I would like to start FLL in the Fall, but I cannot decide which level on which to start him?

He reads on a sixth grade level?

I do NOT want him to be "behind" and I feel like if I don't start him on the first level, he'll miss something, or does FLL spiral? I don't want to insult him by starting him at level 1, but want him to have a great foundation.

Thanks for your advice, I'd like to get these last books bought ASAP!

I haven't started FLL3 yet, but to prepare for starting in the fall we've been playing mad libs, watching School House Rock Grammar, and doing a few

KISS Grammar exercises (free on line). As I understand it this should be plenty of prep.

hth

FLL 3 would be a perfect place to start. It will review many of the basic parts of speech introduced in FLL 1 & 2 but moves on to diagramming. You will need the teacher's text and the student workbook.

We've used FLL 3 this year for our 3rd grader and have been very pleased.

HTH!

I agree, starting with FLL3 would be a great place to start. It builds on what a student would have learned in FLL 1 and 2. The only thing that is suggested by Jesse Wise is to purchase the accompanying CD that goes with FLL 1 and 2, this will help your student put into memory all definitions of parts of speech, and list of prepositions, pronouns, state of being verbs, helping verbs, articles, and conjunctions. Memorizing these things was an important part of the previous years.

HTH

We had a similar situation. My oldest came home from private school for 3rd grade. What I asked him what a noun was, he looked at me like I had 3 heads. So we did the combo level FLL1/2 very quickly, skipping what was too repetive and skipping some of the copywork and then moved on to level 3. We also skipped a lot of the writing because we added WWE. I think it layed a pretty good foundation. FLL 4 is so similar to FLL3 that I think your ds would be just fine doing either after a quick run through of the 1st 2 levels.

hth