Menu

Using SL 1+2 for 6, & 8 yr old has it been done?

Also I wanted to sprinkle some SOTW activities from the guide in to match our SL lessons. I am torn on Core 1+2 or just doing core 1. The reason is because we already have all the books for core 1+2 and I would have to buy the guide and a good chunck of the books for core 1. What do you SL'ers think would be best? Since this is our first time using SL I don't want to set ourselves up for failure because the core moves too fast or the books are too old for my youngest. At the same time though I don't want to have to spend a bunch more money on pulling the peices together for Core 1. Have I lost everyone lol. I need to make a decision because I have a seller who is waiting for an answer on the core 1 books and guide.

Thanks

Oh and if you are wondering we decided to go with SL this school year instead of HOD, WP, or TOG lol. (I know I have been wishy washy with my posts in the last weeks with indecision) I decided to stop trying to plan out our whole homeschooling journey this year and just go with it. Next year we can reevaluate and there is no reason we have to stick to one curriculum. We may very well try WP, TOG, and of course go back and forth to MFW in future years :-) Not sure about HOD though, as it is too hard to place my children.

Edited by joyfulhomeschooler

I'm sure you can do it and it would be fine. On the other hand, if you wind up really liking SL, then you will hit Core 3 earlier than you probably want to. You could add enough from SOTW to stretch Core 1+2 out for two years. That might be your best bet if you don't want to make an additional investment.

Lisa

We did this. Core 1 is great. Core 2 flew by quickly because there were several books my kids were not interested in - also, check the reviews because 2 of the books got really bad reviews.

Oh, and watch out for Detectives in Togas for that age group. Your kids might really like it, but my son had absolutely no idea what was going on in that story. It was so far over his head. :glare:

We had some huge hits/successes: King Tut's Mummy (we took them to the museum to see a mummy), Houses and Homes (they built wooden houses and painted them), Great Wall of China (we did lapbooks), my son loved Mr. Popper's Penguins, my daughter cried when Kildee House ended, my daughter like that From Abeku to Zapotec book :001_huh:... My kids loved Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and Gooney Bird Greene.

Anyway, I'm going to read through Core 1 again this year with my 1st grader. Have fun!

If you have all the books for 1+2, you could just use the library to do Core 1. Most of the books besides the spines (which you should already have) are only used for a week or two. There are a couple of exceptions like Missionary Stories with the Millers but you could either buy those or just not use them. We are having a lot of fun in Core 1 and we could easily extend it out a few months if we wanted. I would hate to rush through it using 1+2 if it weren't necessary. Then you could do the same for Core 2. From what I've heard, 1+2 is comprised of a lot more Core 2 books so you wouldn't have to use the library as much.

Thanks! I keep going back and forth. I want to use SOTW activity guide with it. Would that work with core 1? I know it lines up with the 1+2 core but wasn't sure if you can do it with core 1. Also, not sure why but it seems that the vast majority of the books are from core 2 and only a handfull from core 1. So I would have to use the library A TON!!! Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. I do really want to do core 1. I think my little one would enjoy it more (dd 6).

So I guess my biggest question is whether or not I could use the SOTW actvity guide with core 1 (B)? Great! I just told the seller of core 1 I was going to buy from that I didn't want it... now I think I want it lol. It isn't the whole core but it would be enough to give me some leeway with the library use.

Thanks! I keep going back and forth. I want to use SOTW activity guide with it. Would that work with core 1? I know it lines up with the 1+2 core but wasn't sure if you can do it with core 1. Also, not sure why but it seems that the vast majority of the books are from core 2 and only a handfull from core 1. So I would have to use the library A TON!!! Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. I do really want to do core 1. I think my little one would enjoy it more (dd 6).

So I guess my biggest question is whether or not I could use the SOTW actvity guide with core 1 (B)? Great! I just told the seller of core 1 I was going to buy from that I didn't want it... now I think I want it lol. It isn't the whole core but it would be enough to give me some leeway with the library use.

You can absolutely use the SOTW AG for Core 1! Core 1 falls mostly into SOTW1. I'm not using the AG but I am using SOTW alongside CHOW because we can't get enough history reading, it seems. Ds keeps asking for more.

You can absolutely use the SOTW AG for Core 1! Core 1 falls mostly into SOTW1. I'm not using the AG but I am using SOTW alongside CHOW because we can't get enough history reading, it seems. Ds keeps asking for more.

You are so very helpful :) Thanks! I have just got done checking the library website and they have almost all the books for core 1 so I think I am going to go that route. Can you tell me though the books that would be helpful to own for this core. The only ones that match up from 1+2 are CHOW, USborne world history, detectives in togas, and charlotte's web. The others I can get at the library or buy so I was wondering what books you think are necessary to have on hand.