Menu

FLORIDA homeschoolers?

hi, i'm wondering what the FL homeschool laws are? i've looked online of course, but i'd love to have it explained from an actual homeschooler (for example, i'm in SC currently and it sounds more complex than it really is when you read the requirements). also, how do i find a homeschool group? i'm specifically looking around the calhoun county area.

thanks!:)

Florida is a super easy state in which to homeschool. We have an excellent homeschool lobbyist (Brenda Dickinson http://www.homeeducationfoundation) and she has been on the forefront of gaining rights for homeschoolers and watchdogging our current rights.

Three requirements for Florida homeschoolers:

1) send a letter to your county superintendant indicating indicating your intent to homeschool with the name, birthdate and grade of your dc (no other info necessary though some counties will send a form for further info).

2) keep a *contemporaneous log* of your daily studies. There are no minimum hours or days, but you do need to keep a record of what your dc are doing. For years, I kept this in a notebook and wrote down books and page #s as we went through our day. With older dc, the weekly checklist serves as our contemporaneous log.

3) have your dc evaluated by a certified teacher or take a nationally normed achievement test and turn in results within 1 year of filing notice of intent.

Cover/Umbrella Schools

Practically, this usually looks just like homeschooling (at home, co-op, outside classes, etc). Legally, however, your dc are private school students and this can make a difference for Bright Futures or if your dc want to participate in public school extracurriculars.

Florida has excellent benefits for homeschoolers.

* participation in extracurriculars at public school (band, sports)

* free dual-enrollment for college classes

* participation in Bright Futures, Florida's scholarship program

* participation in Florida Virtual School (offers middle school and high school classes; public school, asynchronous online classes but doesn't confer public school status on your dc)

HTH! Can you tell I like it here?

Lisa

Well, since you've already read the various options, I'll just give you my simplified version. :001_smile:

1. I had to send a letter to the county informing them that I was homeshooling. I don't think you have to use any particular format for the letter, but I just got on my county's website and printed off a form that they had.

2. I have to have each child evaluated every year. For my youngers, I meet with certified teacher, have them look over dc's portfolio, then have them fill out an evaluation form that I printed out. I like to have my oldest take a standardized test every year (eventually my other kids will to), so I give the test scores to my chosen evaluator, and have her fill out the same form, indicating that the child is making "adequate yearly progress". I could send the test scores directly to the county, but I prefer not to give them detailed information like test scores.

3. I keep samples of dc's work for their portfolio. The district has the right to see the portfolio at any time (after they send you written notice). I've never heard of anyone actually having their portfolio inspected, though.

4. If you decide to stop homeschooling (or you move away) you have to send a letter informing the county of your decision.

Edited by bonniebeth4

While some previous posters have given you great information, I think they forgot some "OR"'s in there, meaning you have choices.

You can

1. Register with your county as a homeschooler. Send them a notification once, keep a log of schoolwork (or in my case have the information ready to throw together should you ever been asked for it) and then annually provide the county either a. Proof of testing and signature from certified teacher that your child shows progress (and notice I did NOT say actual test results), or b. Have what is called a portofolio review by a certified teacher that states child shows progress. Neither option is difficult as there are many HS'ers who are certified teachers who offer testing to HSer's. With this option you have access to the public schools for extracurriculurs.

OR

2. You can register with what is called a "umbrella school" or "cover school". Most of these are not actual schools or building, but a organization ( or some cases, even a person)who have filed the necessary paperwork to be recognized as a "umbrella school" by the state. You will often pay a fee for these schools, and that fee varies widely. You often submit paperwork, vaccination records, etc, just as you would to any other school (and that means they also take vacc exemption forms). As this is considered "private school" by the state you are not required to do testing, but some umbrella schools have other requirements while others have barely any but bare bones requirements. Your child is considered a "private school student" and thus not under the jurisdiction of the county school board. They also do not have access to public school extracurriculars. Many people prefer this option so one they can avoid testing for those that do not feel testing shows anything, but more importantly, they feel this is a way of keeping "big brother" out of their business.

I always did the "register with county" option, because frankly besides annual testing, it was free and painless. I kind of like the testing anyway as it is always good to see our numbers on paper, IMHO. I have heard there are some counties that are a pain to deal with, but the two FL counties we lived in while HSing FL were super easy to deal with. One even sent emails to HSers on a regular basis letting them know about different opportunities, diffrent activities HSers' could participate in at the schools.

thank you so much!:D

another question. how do i find other homeschoolers? we'll be moving to blountstown or marianna fl. it's an hour to panama city and an hour to tallahassee. i don't mind driving that far either (as i do currently), but i'm inundated with info via google - so i wasn't sure if anyone here knew of an easier way to figure that aspect out. thanks again! i really appreciate it!

Florida has excellent benefits for homeschoolers.

* participation in extracurriculars at public school (band, sports)

* free dual-enrollment for college classes

* participation in Bright Futures, Florida's scholarship program

* participation in Florida Virtual School (offers middle school and high school classes; public school, asynchronous online classes but doesn't confer public school status on your dc)

Lisa

this sounds awesome! does my curriculum have to be secular though to go this route? i've already chosen (and purchased) heart of dakota, which is definitely religious. is that okay? participation in school extra curricular activities sounds really great.

this sounds awesome! does my curriculum have to be secular though to go this route? i've already chosen (and purchased) heart of dakota, which is definitely religious. is that okay? participation in school extra curricular activities sounds really great.

There are no curriculum requirements that I am aware of.

Right, at no point do you have to show your curriculum or have it approved.

The best way I have found to find HS groups is via Yahoo groups. I think HS groups like to use Yahoo groups as it is a free way to communicate and doesn't take alot of techno knowledge like a website. I have found several every time we moved to a new state. Once I found a few in the area that I joined, just from the "news" that would post to the groups, I would find out about a few more.

Do a search in Yahoo groups by using "homeschooling" and then put in the city name, or county name, etc. There even a few HS Yahoo groups that for all of Florida, so you can join that and then ask there about local HS groups. There's bound to be someone on the Florida HS Yahoo group in your new area who can point you in the direction of local groups.

thank you so much!:D

another question. how do i find other homeschoolers? we'll be moving to blountstown or marianna fl. it's an hour to panama city and an hour to tallahassee. i don't mind driving that far either (as i do currently), but i'm inundated with info via google - so i wasn't sure if anyone here knew of an easier way to figure that aspect out. thanks again! i really appreciate it!

Beautiful area. Love the caverns and the rivers and the l-a-n-d. :001_smile:

Anyway, the best way to connect is to contact your FPEA rep for that area and then ask for a list of groups and contact info.

Lisa

Beautiful area. Love the caverns and the rivers and the l-a-n-d. :001_smile:

oh! i'm so happy to know that:). i've actually never even been to the area we'll be living at. my husband just got home from an interview & we've decided to accept the job and move. the kids and i have actually never seen it though. aftr 5 years in SC, i was just really finding my groove here & now we have to start all over, lol.

thanks for all of your help everyone!

I am one of the leaders of our homeschool group in Calhoun County. We are a very active group. PM me and I'll send you a link to our website. I would be happy to talk to you about FL homeschool law if you would like. If you move to Marianna, I can give you info on their homeschool group as well. When will you be moving? May I ask what brings you this way? It seems rare for people to move to Calhoun County.

Emily

Edited by Emily in FL

You have been given some good information, and I'll just expand a bit on it.

There is a third option, though I can't say I know anyone who has chosen it. That option is to hire a private tutor.

I'll also speak on umbrella schools, since I'm an umbrella school owner. I won't however, try to talk you into that option. It's not for everyone. As was previously pointed out, umbrella school students are private school students. In fact, there's no such thing as an umbrella school in Florida - we homeschoolers just use that term. The state doesn't make any distinction between non-campus based private schools like umbrella schools and campus based private schools. That's why they require immunizations or a letter of exemption. Attendance reporting is also required. Many umbrella school owners, myself included, allow the homeschooling parent to define "attendance".

There is no problem with private school students and Bright Futures. I had a student apply for, and get, a BF scholarship last year. Dual enrollment is also possible with any of the homeschooling options, though not all umbrella schools offer this.

Umbrella schools allow you to keep the county and state out of your business. When I do my annual report to the state I do not send any names. The only way names of students in an umbrella school would ever be released to the state or county is if that school is audited.

Umbrella schools are not a good choice for those who have children wanting to participate in activities at their local public school. Only homeschoolers registered with their county are eligible for that.

Umbrella schools differ in what they require and in what they offer. Some provide any or all of the following: grades, transcripts, curriculum, and diplomas. Some, like mine, only require the minimum that the state wants. Be aware that Florida doesn't recognize accrediting agencies for private schools, but that private schools in Florida are not required to be accredited. Obviously the more an umbrella school provides, the more they charge. Most though, are inexpensive.

With an umbrella school you can still choose to have your child tested or evaluated, but the results would just be for you. You don't have to send them to anyone unless your umbrella school requires it (some do).

If you choose an umbrella school, make sure it's listed here

http://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/Information/PrivateSchoolDirectory/

Choose a county from the drop down list (you don't have to go with one in your own county), and see if it's there. This is not an endorsement of any private school, but if it isn't here it means they haven't followed the state requirements and sent in their annual report.

Any of the 3 choices allow your child to take online classes through Florida Virtual School but again, not all umbrella schools offer that option.

Oh, and as for your question about using religious curriculum, no there's no problem with that. The state doesn't tell you what you must teach or what curriculum you can and can't use. Most umbrella schools don't either, but that's something to ask the school if you decide to go that route. For the most part either choice gives you the freedom to choose any curriculum (or none, for unschoolers).

This site seems to have done a decent job of explaining each of the options. I will say though, it makes homeschooling through the county sound difficult. It really isn't, it's just that there are a number of options for annual evaluations, so listing them all makes it seem a bit overwhelming. You just choose the one you want to do (I'd recommend portfolio evaluation).