Menu

Childs History of the World & SL 1+2 (Christians who have used the core)

Since we have mostly all of the books for SL 1+2 I decided I better go through and see if we could make that work for our new school year. As I was reading the first part of A Childs History of the World I was upset to find that it seems to go against creation. Has anyone else found this and still used this SL program? I am worried that my children are too young to deal with controversial books at this tender age.

Have any other Christians used this core from SL and what are your thoughts?

Since we have mostly all of the books for SL 1+2 I decided I better go through and see if we could make that work for our new school year. As I was reading the first part of A Childs History of the World I was upset to find that it seems to go against creation. Has anyone else found this and still used this SL program? I am worried that my children are too young to deal with controversial books at this tender age.

Have any other Christians used this core from SL and what are your thoughts?

I'm doing Core 1 with one of my dc at the moment. SL doesn't actually schedule those first few chapters of CHOW. Chapter 4 on Mesopotamia is the first chapter that is used.

Thanks! So you haven't had a problem with any of the other book choices either? Good to know these chapter are skipped.

Well, there is a lot mention of 'other gods' in CHOW and Usborne World History which really just goes along with the study of Ancients. I have always just discussed this with my kids and have talked about how this happened because the people didn't know God. I have found this to be effective and a good basis for understanding other cultures and religions. This is our 3rd time in Core 1 and I still find that approaching the topic head-on (and in the light of the Bible) to be good and worthwhile.

I was a bit picky and choosy with the stories from Greek Myths. Some I read - some I didn't. I think that is very much personal preference and will depend on your children and what you think they can handle. All in all, Core 1 and 2 are great and have some fantastic books. You'll learn heaps!!!

HTH

We haven't had trouble with it. Not all the chapters are scheduled in 1+2, and I've noticed that the ones most likely to be controversial tend to be omitted, including the first three. In addition, there is definitely a very Christian world-view when talking about other Gods and religions. Since it's an ancients study for the first half of the year, there are a lot of other Gods and religions mentioned, but it tends to be with a "this is what people believed then" view.

I admit that we basically gave up on Usborne in favor of library books that had the visuals. It was just plain too cluttered and chaotic for me to handle, although I know my DD enjoys pulling it out and looking at it.

Whaat do you think about the ages of my kids and doing 1+2? They will be 6 & 8 when we do it. I would do core 1 but I have the books for 1+2 and a friend is willing to lend me the IG for it.

On the SL website, they recommend Core 1+2 (now relabelled Core B+C) for the 7-9 age group. I haven't used Core 1+2 as we have done the cores separately, but it's my understanding that it is a condensed version of the two cores with some books from each, rather than a core with it's own specific book selections. I've also read that it moves pretty fast and is therefore quite intense particularly for the ages you would be using it for. Have you looked at the sample schedule pages on the site? You can also get the first three weeks of any of the programs to give you a feel for how fast it moves.

Also, if you have the books for Core1+2, then you would have quite a number of the Core 1 (Core A) books already. My 8yo is doing Core 1 at the moment and is fine with it even though she is technically older than the age range suggested on the site.

Anyway, hth.

I will have to take a look and see what books we are missing from core A or 1... why do they always feel the need to change things around lol it gets so complicated. The website has changed a ton since the last time I was on it too. I have looked at the IG and it didn't seem like it went too fast... but I suppose we would have to try it and see. I just hate to put more money out if we already have everything for core 1+2.

I will have to take a look and see what books we are missing from core A or 1... why do they always feel the need to change things around lol it gets so complicated. The website has changed a ton since the last time I was on it too. I have looked at the IG and it didn't seem like it went too fast... but I suppose we would have to try it and see. I just hate to put more money out if we already have everything for core 1+2.

Core 1 is now called Core B. Core A is the old Core K. Just didn't want you looking at the wrong one.

I know what you mean. It might be totally fine and you can slow it down if you do happen to find it moving a little quickly - but you might not. :001_smile:

And yes, I agree that the new labelling is totally confusing.... :tongue_smilie:

We used Core 1+2 several years ago, and I don't recall anything which went against a Christian worldview scheduled in the IG. As others have said, a study of the Ancients necessarily covers mythology/gods, but that was a springboard for discussion about our own beliefs. SL is a company which espouses and supports a Christian worldview while exposing children to beliefs of other religions, both present-day and historical. Speaking only for myself, of course, but I really appreciate this about SL.