Menu

Looking for summer camp ideas--17 yo uninspired student.

My ds is capable of so much, but is completely uninspired, uninterested, and apathetic.

Because this is likely to be my last "summer of great influence", I'm thinking of trying to find a summer camp experience he might enjoy.

Worldview Academy leadership camp is a possibility, but I'm looking for other ideas. :bigear:

My ds is capable of so much, but is completely uninspired, uninterested, and apathetic.

Because this is likely to be my last "summer of great influence", I'm thinking of trying to find a summer camp experience he might enjoy.

Worldview Academy leadership camp is a possibility, but I'm looking for other ideas. :bigear:

I vote for Worldview Academy. It does wonders.

But, he's old enough for Summit, too, so I'll suggest that as an alternative.

In her books What Colleges Won't Tell You and What High Schools Won't Tell You, Elizabeth Wissner-Gross writes of suggestions for summer "camps" and other activities for the apathetic teen. First of all, what is he interested in? Is it sports, art, or something else? Then take that and find some he can do that is constructive along those lines. Both of these books are for the "Harvard or Bust" crowd, which is a turn-off (and so superficial), but she has some great ideas of how to spark up a teen. If your library has a copy of them, I would take a look.

My older dd went to a business camp called MN Business Venture:

http://www.bestprep.org/index.php?cID=53

It looks like there's a CA Business Venture, too?

http://www.theadvancementacademy.org/HOME.html

I thought it was a good learning experience, kind of putting the kids' minds into future careers with real people. We didn't have to pay, though.

Julie

My dd attended Wheatstone last year & loved it. We will make ds go next year when he's 16.