Menu

Facebook question: If I put someone on my "limited profile" list...

No, your status updates shouldn't show on his newsfeed. If you want to be sure, hold your cursor over the little padlock icon. It should tell you. In my case, I have a crazy ex-sil blocked from most status updates. When I move my mouse over the lock, it says, Friends Only, except (name).

If you ever want him to see a particular update, or photos, you can move your mouse over the lock, and change it to Friends Only (or whatever your standard setting is). Then he'll be able to see that update but not the others.

Examples of when you'd want to do that -- I posted some pictures of my niece's kids - ex-sil's grandkids. I didn't want to keep her from seeing the pics, so I changed those updates to allow her to see the pictures. She still can't see my other updates.

I really like that feature. You can selectively let some people only see what you want them to see, and they don't know it (unless they talk to someone who mentions a status update they didn't see - then they might start wondering).

That others (especially our children!) are able to do this to us as well. :-)

Yes. My dd's boyfriend thinks I can only see what he wants me to see, but I just hop over to my son's page to see those "private" posts. Bwahahaha! (He's actually a good kid. ;))

Go to Account>Privacy Settings>View Settings then click 'Preview My Profile'. That will show you how your profile looks to non-friends, but you also have the option there to plug in the name of a friend and see how your page looks to them.

I check it once in a while with the name of a friend who is under tighter security (I have a whole list full of people who aren't allowed to see my photos, for example) just to make sure everything is working like it should.

Go to Account>Privacy Settings>View Settings then click 'Preview My Profile'. That will show you how your profile looks to non-friends, but you also have the option there to plug in the name of a friend and see how your page looks to them.

I check it once in a while with the name of a friend who is under tighter security (I have a whole list full of people who aren't allowed to see my photos, for example) just to make sure everything is working like it should.

Yeah, that's how I found the steps for tighter security settings for certain people. Then I went to Account>Privacy Settings>Customize Settings> then under Things I Share, clicked the button that shows who sees what, clicked Customize, then added his name under Hide This From . At first, I actually set up a Limited Profile list within my Friends list, so now I can just add other people to that list without having to go through each of the Things I Share items for each person whose access I want to limit. I found out how to do that by Googling, and that led me to the instructions on the Facebook site.