Menu

How do you teach two at a time? Please help!

This school year was the year I was going to start doing little exercises with my bright 3-year-old dd, just gentle stuff like Preschoolers' Busy Book, Family Math for Young Children, reading books together, etc. All that is down the drain (we hardly did anything at all), because ds (7) is time-consuming!! :banghead:

We're doing second grade work, and he constantly needs supervision. If I leave for a minute, he's already walking around and trying to play with his toys or like dh says, goofing off. If I attempt to do anything with dd, he wants to be part of it and leaves his work. He needs me to sit next to him, and then dd won't cooperate, because she's more hands-on and thrives on the couch or on the floor. I find that she's largely left to herself, and out of desperation I put on Starfall, PBS kids.org on the computer. She complains that nobody plays with her (we're doing school!). As a result, she's been a lot on the computer this year :blush:

I also have a new baby, dd2, 2 months old. I find the baby easier to deal with. What do I do about my preschooler? I want to give her a good start, play puzzles with her, do the Busy book, but should I neglect my son? He's not mature yet to be trusted to be responsible for his work. Dd doesn't care about our studies, and she doesn't listen to anything, not the books I read to ds, or SOTW.. And here I thought she would be soaking it all in. The only two things she actively participates in are science experiments and art class with dh. As an aside, she does have ballet twice a week and piano once a week, and knows the vast majority of her letters and numbers. In fact, if you dictate to her which letters, she can write down words. She'll be four July 31st.

I'm thinking of sending dd1 to a really great Montessori preschool VPK program in the fall. She'll be 4, and only at that school 3 hours a day. I'm not able to afford that preschool, so the VPK program is nice. She's not as sociable as my ds either, so I'm hoping she'll interact more with her peers. I'm crossing my fingers this will work and she won't be reluctant to come back home for Kindergarten, when (crossing my fingers) hopefully ds is more mature and able to do some independent work in his 4th Year!

Please help! Any suggestions and experiences welcome.

Edited by sagira

How long is schoolwork with DS taking? And how much are you trying to get done in a day? Has DS always been homeschooled or are you guys relatively new to this?

ETA: Could you maybe have DS kneel in front of the couch to write? Then have DD on the other side of you? My son likes to do his work there, it's not for very long, but then he'd be closer for you to keep an eye on.

Edited by meggie

Well, I'm not sure how much work you're trying to do with your 7 y/o or how long it's taking, but I honestly can't imagine he'd need more than like 2 hours of school a day at that age. Even if you took more like 3, there's plenty of time to do stuff with him, and then sit down with your preschooler for half an hour, an hour, and do some stuff with her. (And if it's taking LONGER than that with your 2nd grader, I'd re-evaluate what you're doing).

With that said, the fact that your almost 4 year old participates in your science and art and takes ballet and piano and is doing so well with her letters etc says to me that she's already doing PLENTY and I don't think you have to feel obligated to do some sort of 'curriculum' with her. If she feels like people aren't playing with her enough, just spend some time here and there playing with her. A preschool board game, one of the computer games she likes, doing an arts and crafts project, a read aloud, letting her help you cook something for dinner etc. Don't feel like you have to start doing formal workbook type stuff with a 4 y/o.

As for independence, my daughter started doing some of her work more independently in 4th grade.

Well, I'm not sure how much work you're trying to do with your 7 y/o or how long it's taking, but I honestly can't imagine he'd need more than like 2 hours of school a day at that age. Even if you took more like 3, there's plenty of time to do stuff with him, and then sit down with your preschooler for half an hour, an hour, and do some stuff with her. (And if it's taking LONGER than that with your 2nd grader, I'd re-evaluate what you're doing).

With that said, the fact that your almost 4 year old participates in your science and art and takes ballet and piano and is doing so well with her letters etc says to me that she's already doing PLENTY and I don't think you have to feel obligated to do some sort of 'curriculum' with her. If she feels like people aren't playing with her enough, just spend some time here and there playing with her. A preschool board game, one of the computer games she likes, doing an arts and crafts project, a read aloud, letting her help you cook something for dinner etc. Don't feel like you have to start doing formal workbook type stuff with a 4 y/o.

As for independence, my daughter started doing some of her work more independently in 4th grade.

:iagree:

I am working with 2 and have a 4 year old. It is tough. My oldest is the same, needing constant supervision. My 4 year old does get bored, but she does love to do crafts and play with her brothers. I know that my second ds is going to ramp up with school work in the fall so I am also planning to send my 4 year old to preschool. We are going to see the preschool today! I am expecting that the following fall my second ds will be proficient in reading and I can work with my dd while he and his brother do their free reading time. Good luck with your decisions.

:iagree: with Nance.. that sounds like a long time doing schoolwork. But then, when my oldest was 7yo, we were unschooling, and she did nothing at all.

I think I would aim for about an hour a day, split into small chunks, concentration being an issue. It is much better to do things little and often (to plan it that way) than to try and do a lot at once and everyone gets tired/cranky/left alone for too long/whatever.

Many 7yo boys (and some girls - my second being a case in point!) have the attention span of a gnat and a bad case of the wriggles. Some are kinesthetic learners who must be moving in order to concentrate. Can you try teaching in a different way, and see whether it works? I have a fantastic picture sent to me by a dear friend, whose ds learns best (apparently) upside down. He will regularly put his books on the floor and drape himself over the couch, head down, and do his schoolwork. His legs are waving and he's humming; personally I couldn't think straight in that position but this kid learns best just like that! :lol:

Hang in there.. in a couple years it will be so different. My youngest is now 3.5yo and boy does it ever make life easier.

Work with your 3year old first. After you have done something with him schedule in your dd to spend some time with her 2 or 3 X's week just with her.

Your son sounds like my daughter. I have an 8 year old daughter(2nd grade) with lots of challenges and everything takes so long to accomplish. Last year I tried to do my daughter first-BIG MISTAKE-by the time I finished with her we had to go somewhere, eat, or it was nap time or something else. Or I was just too frustrated to think.

This year I do school with my Pre-k first. He seems like he will be pretty independent so far and I hope it continues that way. We do maybe an hour together. Then we have subjects that we all do together science, history, art, read out loud, etc...

I do give my 8 year old the work that she can do by herself. Which unfortunately is very far in between her even getting a few problems done. Some days she surprises me. Not often:D

Here's what I did, and it is working well.

My ds, who's 4, is an early riser. My dd, the first grade student (age 7) is not. I cut out ds's naps, and he now sleeps in a bit better in the mornings. I wake dd at 6:20, and we start school by 6:30. She's done her seatwork easily before 8:30 a.m., and ds spends his early mornings cuddling with Dad or playing Angry Birds. :)

It has been an absolute delight around here since we started this in the dead of winter. I would have never thought that my sleep-in daughter would do her schoolwork better and more efficiently half asleep, but she does! :confused: And then, the kids and I have the whole day to read, do chores, play.... It is just GREAT!

Helloooo... I have a 9 yro, 8 yro, 6 yro and 3 yro and I know all about that situation. ;) I feel like I need to be taken away in an ambulance sometimes.

First of all, I would spend 2 hours on formal academics (at the most) on the 7 yro. Is there a nap time for the younger kids? Can you sneak in a subject here and there while the baby sleeps and the toddler plays? Is there a box of Lauri's manipulatives out there with your toddler's name on it? IMO, 1st grade is learning to read, beginning writing and math. But, mostly...you have to get those reading skills moving.

Second, and sadly...at some point in time, the toddler will be "doing school" with you. I just threw in the towel at some point last year and photocopied my 6 yro's worksheets and gave a copy to the 3 yro. She colors all over them, sings like a crazy person and ends up cutting them up with scissors. Hey, whatever keeps her busy, right? :tongue_smilie:

Also, when you have subjects like art, read-alouds, science, etc - I would just invite the toddler to the class. When we do art or any science experiment involving volcanoes, I automatically get the 3 yro a spot ready at the table.

As far as the 7 yro being time-consuming. I really feel like they should not do anything independently at that age. They really don't know what they're doing at that age and they really need your guidance. When your students reach 3rd/4th grade, you can send them off with some assignments and they're better able to get their work done. At that age, they can become frustrated very easily and lose interest or develop some serious negativity to school.

Also, have you read Boys Adrift? It talks about Dudes and their loathing of schoolwork. I really lightened up on our Dude after I read that book. They really need to move around, walk around the room, do things with their hands. In fact, there's an all-boys school mentioned in the book where the boys are allowed to move around the room during class. It says they score a lot higher and are more focused. I made a lot of changes to our homeschool after reading that book and my son's reading/writing has grown by leaps and bounds.

So, I'm looking at what you're doing for your 3 yro and :eek:. Ballet, piano, knows her letters and numbers...has preschool workbooks... You're not jipping her by working with your 7 yro. The 3 yro knows a LOT already. She's not going to be interested in SOTW. That wouldn't be normal. 3 yros just want to play, shred paper all over the floor in the living room :glare:, play with play-doh and pretend to be a fairy princess (or is that just my 3 yro :tongue_smilie: Doh!). None of the work you did with her is "down the drain". I'm sure she loves spending time with you and getting some one-on-one attention. Also, there's no school-year in a 3 yro's world, you can just keep working on that stuff with her when you have time.

Also, another idea...you're going to end up combining the two oldest kids - I can see it already. Have you looked ahead at some stuff like Five in a Row...my father's world...any of the kid-combining curricula?

Oh, thank you, ladies! :grouphug: I needed that encouragement and did someone to tell me that :) At 3, I spent oodles of time with ds with his numbers, letters, etc. I think that's what I'm comparing dd to. You're right, come to think of it I think she's doing just fine. I'm just postpartum paranoid lol

Ds is going to be 8 in September, so he's been working on second grade stuff and trying to up the ante on writing. Okay, so it is normal for ds to be like that and his need to be babied with school. Hmmm.. If I could figure out a way for him to move around and do school at the same time.. Will put that book on my Kindle, thanks for the recommendation!

She's a great gal, my dd. I just want to make sure I'm not shortchanging her. I'll make sure to read to her at night, and play more with her. Maybe set as a goal one preschool activity a week, and one Family Math. I think they will be enjoyable for us both.

How long is schoolwork with DS taking? And how much are you trying to get done in a day? Has DS always been homeschooled or are you guys relatively new to this?

ETA: Could you maybe have DS kneel in front of the couch to write? Then have DD on the other side of you? My son likes to do his work there, it's not for very long, but then he'd be closer for you to keep an eye on.

We do school for 2 hours a day.. if ds cooperates. If not, it has been known to take a little over 3 hours. I love the system we have going, and ds enjoys the reading, science, history. He's just reluctant to do any effort. I notice we are slowly but surely making progress, though. We're following the CM method of focused, short lessons that are slowly getting longer the older he gets.

He's been homeschooled since day 1, in Kindergarten.