Menu

What do you expect your 3rd grader to do independently?

Homemama2

Let me start by saying that today was NOT a good day :glare: so perhaps I'm a WEE BIT frustrated. :D

But honestly my 3rd grader cannot read directions on his own and follow them to save his life. It doesn't matter if we're doing grammar, math, or whatever, I will have him read them (usually outloud). He reads all the words. Correctly. But then proceeds to NOT do them. When I check his work and tell him to read the directions again, sometimes he'll see where he messed up, sometimes not.

I don't have him read all of his directions for all of his work, but surely a kid this age could handle some of this, right? I am wanting him to move in the direction of a little more independence for 4th grade. After today, I fell like I'll be reading the directions and going over EACH STEP for him until he's 18! :banghead:

Obviously, I'm not meaning for him to read his lessons that I am suppose to be teaching to him. I mean things like for grammar it says: 'Underline the noun once and the verb twice' and he underlines the verb once and does nothing with the noun b/c "Oh! I didn't see that!" even though he just read it.

Anyway, could you tell me what I should be able to expect from a 3rd grader? Thanks!!

My 3rd grader does his grammar on his own, spelling review, reading (of course :)) , math (I assign the pages and he completes them). Together, we do WWE and Kilgallon, and we usually do Latin together, although if we're running behind he will translate on his own. We also do Science as a family and History together.

My suggestion would be to have him read the instructions out loud to you, and then TELL you orally what the instructions just said, so you can confirm that he understood them. Some kids simply don't "get" instructions when they read them, and need more practice.

Good luck.

On her own? My dd in 3rd grade was still very much in the child-at-elbow stage (is that what it's called?). She could do her the majority of her work if I gave clear explanations then sat very near her while she completed it. It is a progression. Now, she has a daily list and comes to me if she needs a clarification or to get the worked checked.

My youngest is still at the stage that she needs a cheerleader for every.single.part.of.every.single.lesson. My oldest tells me what classes he's taking then checks-in when he needs money or has done something terrific, then tells me what the grades were.

My son just completed 2nd grade. He is horrible with directions most of the time! He almost always misses a two-part question. He really needs me there to go over the questions, but I cannot always be there. There are just many days that it will take longer for him because he missed it and has to go back. From what I have heard, it is pretty common. It may be a maturity thing or a personality issue. The former would be much better! The latter is going to kill me!

Obviously, I'm not meaning for him to read his lessons that I am suppose to be teaching to him. I mean things like for grammar it says: 'Underline the noun once and the verb twice' and he underlines the verb once and does nothing with the noun b/c "Oh! I didn't see that!" even though he just read it.

Anyway, could you tell me what I should be able to expect from a 3rd grader? Thanks!!

You don't know how glad I am to see that someone else has a 3rd grader with this disease. My dd will ask why I didn't get her some milk, when it sitting on the table right in front of her!!!

Dd does her math workbook exercise, spelling sentences, grammar diagramming and Latin workbook exercises on her own, but that's after I've taught the lesson, gone over what she is expected to do, had her repeat the directions and then I check on her every 5 minutes of so to make sure she's on track. That's not really independence, is it? Oh well, it's better than last year and I figure we will get there eventually :). Best of luck and hope that helps!

Thanks everyone! Now that I've had the evening to just :chillpill:...I'm feeling a little better. I never thought about the fact that he should explain the directions back to me (duh! Do people still say 'duh' anymore? ha!). I always have him read the directions, ask " Do you understand or have any questions?" Then let him go with it. We'll keep plugging away. I love that every time I'm freaking out about something you guys help me see things more clearly! :grouphug:

Handwriting, math drill, GWG. He used to do SWO, but we switched to SWS which has some dictation in it. The non-math drill is pushing new territory almost all the time, so I sit right with him, but then we double back with drill. History is together, science is together. Hum. Most things are together. I'm not quite ready to give up my little boy, I think :001_huh:.