Menu

Singapore Essential Math - not available in

desertmum

Singapore Essential Math K. I've googled until my fingers turned purple. Is it not available in the UK? I found it at Rainbow but the shipping cost for international shipping is 5 TIMES the shipping cost for the order :svengo:

The Early Bird books are £21.99 each! from the Singapore website for UK and Europe.

Any ideas?

You could use the MEP recourses instead (for the cost of printing).

MEP 1 more interesting than Singapore's Earlybird (IMO) and we use Primary Mathematics (Singapore) as our math spine. I realize you are looking at Essentials, not EB.

There is also a Reception Level now that wasn't out when my son was in Pre-K and K.

Just a thought.

Bill

You could use the MEP recourses instead (for the cost of printing).

MEP 1 more interesting than Singapore's Earlybird (IMO) and we use Primary Mathematics (Singapore) as our math spine. I realize you are looking at Essentials, not EB.

There is also a Reception Level now that wasn't out when my son was in Pre-K and K.

Just a thought.

Bill

Thank you. I tried Sonlight but they offer the Early Bird, not the Essential series.

Sadly enough we were using MEP this year. It didn't work. It was too spiral. So spiral that ds moved quickly and then couldn't remember the days lesson and look bored. We tried a bit more mastery and drills and it worked better -even if it didn't move so quickly. I was going to MM do but read here that MM 1a was for first grade not kindy.

Hi Desertmum,

do you mean this:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=906141&event=CF

I totally understand your frustration with shipping costs to Europe. :banghead:

Christianbooks has more reasonable shipping costs, but somehow doesn't alway show up when you do a google search. Last week I had been googling for hours to find a good place to buy Singapore Math Standard Edition and MPH Science. Found nothing, untill a friend reminded me of Christianbooks. (Thanks, friend! ;))

HTH,

Thank you. I tried Sonlight but they offer the Early Bird, not the Essential series.

Sadly enough we were using MEP this year. It didn't work. It was too spiral. So spiral that ds moved quickly and then couldn't remember the days lesson and look bored. We tried a bit more mastery and drills and it worked better -even if it didn't move so quickly. I was going to MM do but read here that MM 1a was for first grade not kindy.

Sorry to suggest something that you'd tried and not had success with.

Since I'm on a roll :tongue_smilie:, we dumped EB in late Pre-K (not loving it) and just used Primary Mathematics 1A/1B through kindergarten with great success. I would imagine the same thing might be done with MM (depending on the child).

Bill

Hi Desertmum,

do you mean this:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=906141&event=CF

I totally understand your frustration with shipping costs to Europe. :banghead:

Christianbooks has more reasonable shipping costs, but somehow doesn't alway show up when you do a google search. Last week I had been googling for hours to find a good place to buy Singapore Math Standard Edition and MPH Science. Found nothing, untill a friend reminded me of Christianbooks. (Thanks, friend! ;))

HTH,

You found it! Thank you so much. I checked it out and the shipping costs are lower. I am actually not in Europe but the Middle East (even farther than Europe :tongue_smilie:). I was checking Singapore's math site because we are going to the UK next month and I thought I could order, have it sent to a friend's house, stuff it in suitcase, bring back to the desert, etc. Anyway, I was appalled EB books were £21.99 a pop, which is like $33 each....

Sorry to suggest something that you'd tried and not had success with.

Since I'm on a roll :tongue_smilie:, we dumped EB in late Pre-K (not loving it) and just used Primary Mathematics 1A/1B through kindergarten with great success. I would imagine the same thing might be done with MM (depending on the child).

Bill

Besides the price I find EB has too many cute little pictures which are way too distracting. Thank you for sharing your experience with EB. I may go down the same route later on if I see ds catching up nicely. BTW, did you get the textbook and workbook and the guide all (you know, the whole set) for Primary Math?

p.s. Never Mind -I just saw what you used from this thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103921

Edited by desertmum

I have 2 suggestions -

1. work out the total cost including shipping, rather than look at shipping as a separate item. This is how I managed to get over the postage cost when I ordered the Challenging Word Problems.
  2. or order from somewhere like sgbox.com - I've no experience with them, but their postage to the UK looked pretty reasonable when I was comparing them.

I have 2 suggestions -

1. work out the total cost including shipping, rather than look at shipping as a separate item. This is how I managed to get over the postage cost when I ordered the Challenging Word Problems.

2. or order from somewhere like sgbox.com - I've no experience with them, but their postage to the UK looked pretty reasonable when I was comparing them.

Never heard of sgbox.com. Will check out. Ta.

Besides the price I find EB has too many cute little pictures which are way too distracting. Thank you for sharing your experience with EB. I may go down the same route later on if I see ds catching up nicely. BTW, did you get the textbook and workbook and the guide all (you know, the whole set) for Primary Math?

p.s. Never Mind -I just saw what you used from this thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103921

I agree about there being too much distracting visual clutter in EB. It is part of what motivated the move to PM. If I had a "do-over" I would order Essential instead (but have to first hand experience with it).

For PM, we did the whole deal: the SE Textbooks, SE PWorkbooks, SE HIGs, IPs from the US Edition and the CWP.

Bill

I agree about there being too much distracting visual clutter in EB. It is part of what motivated the move to PM. If I had a "do-over" I would order Essential instead (but have to first hand experience with it).

For PM, we did the whole deal: the SE Textbooks, SE PWorkbooks, SE HIGs, IPs from the US Edition and the CWP.

Bill

Pardon my ignorance but what are IPs and CWP?

Pardon my ignorance but what are IPs and CWP?

The IPs are the "Intensive Practice" books. Currently they are available only in the US Edition series (but we have had no problem mixing the with the SE edition books). The IPs have a variety of interesting problems that stretch the logical thinking and problem solving skills beyond the more "basic" level in the Workbooks. You could say they are "enrichment" materials. They are more challenging, and because of that many children find them more fun.

Some people will do the IPs right along with the regular texts, others will do them "behind" depending on the child.

The CWPs are (or were in the old version at least) simply word problems. Singapore Math is (rightly) famous for its approach to word problems and the "bar method" for problem solving. It is an extension of the whole-parts method in the rest of the Singapore math program.

The CWP start out fairly easy (in Level One) and much of the purpose is beginning to build the bar methods skills incrementally. A child who is good at basic math could solve the simple problems without developing the bar methods, but the "incremental" exposure is important because as the years go by the some of the words problems are fiercely challenging to solve.

Some also do the CWPs behind.

So these are two series that extend the depth of the Singapore math program. To my mind they extend it from a very good (or even excellent) program into one that is a truly outstanding world-class math program.

Bill

WOW I just learned a few things I didn't know I didn't know. :laugh:

Thank you so much for the details on SM. You are as of now my official SM guru! You've definitely gave lots to think about.

BTW, I went to sgbox.co, and I couldn't make heads or tails of the info on the screen (the lack of pictures didn't help matters).

BTW, I went to sgbox.co, and I couldn't make heads or tails of the info on the screen (the lack of pictures didn't help matters).

Tried SGBox while in the Middle East and found their shipping too high. You have to register to see the shipping rates and once they have your e-mail address they send you constant reminders that you have items in your shopping cart and whether you will be placing an order soon :mad:. I made sure I quickly cancelled that registration.

While in the Middle East my main providers were SL, Amazon.com (for certain big ticket items like HOP since at the time they charged the whole box as one item just like a book) and Christianbook for smaller orders. After we switched away from SL I found Rainbow and started using them for large orders as their shipping is the lowest for large orders and again Christianbook for smaller orders. Our orders arrived usually within two weeks, the only thing with Rainbow was that we had to wait for backordered items to come in before they shipped the order out. This was not really an issue in our case because I always ordered well in advance. In your case, if you are only ordering the Singapore books I would just go with Christianbook.

• 5 weeks later...
I may have missunderstood your OP, but you can get the Essentials K books from the Singapore site also. http://www.singaporemath.com/Essential_Math_s/138.htm

They are $8.80 there before shipping. I have no idea what the shipping would be for the UK.

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier. They only ship to the U.S. and Canada. I decided to go with Christianbooks.

4evercanucks: thanks for the info. :iagree:

I got mine from ExodusBooks.com. I don't knoe exactly how much they charge for international, but their US shipping was very cheap & flexible (media mail? parcel? priority? add DC? add insurance? sure!) and they do ship internationally.

Will check out. Ta.;)