Menu

CLE math and supplementing?

apple4

For those of you using CLE math, do you supplement with another curriculum to teach the concepts? I want to buy something to help teach the concept conceptually and I don't know whether to buy MUS, or something else. Any suggestions? By the way, we will be in level 4 next year. So I am mainly looking at fractions, decimals, multi digit multiplication and division. Thanks, Amy

We started with CLE math 4-5 years ago after using RightStart for the early years, and the only add-on I ever used was the card games from RightStart because we already owned that. I'll note that I've always required them to explain the new concepts of each lesson in their own words and then do those problems with me watching. Then I let them go off to do the rest of the lesson. I've never just handed it off, and of course sometimes have to teach when they don't get the new material. I grade each quiz and test with them present.

Their test scores have always been stellar, and I've never seen any significant problems.

I've started using CLE this year (and am in LOVE with it!) and I use Mammoth Math to supplement only when I feel like they need a deeper understanding of it. The great thing with MM is you can print off the only pages you need, when you need them. However, my kids, nor myself ended up being a big fan of MM as the main curriculum, only as supplement!

We used RS. My dd finished B and my ds finished E. She does CLE and a page or 2 of MM daily. (I need to slow her down, she's *mathy) My ds is doing Math Detective right now to help his problem solving skills. He is not mathy. *Disclaimer~I know mathy isn't a word but math intuitive sounds so pretentious.

It is funny because I came from doing RS A, B and some of C before I switched. I loved RS, but we hit a wall. They just were not ready for all the mental math. So far CLE has been a good fit for us. I never dreamed that I would use a curriculum such as CLE but I now see the how much they need the continual practice. I just want to do a little more conceptual work when things are introduced. I don't have RS D or E. Would these levels be helpful? I just need something to add in here and there. The lessons actually take up enough time. Adding a lot would be difficult. Any further suggestions would be great. Thank you, Amy

The only math supplement we are using is SM Challenging Word Problems. My 2nd grader in particular needs the practice; it's not the math that gets him, it's the wording! We keep it light and fun; my oldest two work the problems on whiteboards and see if they get the same answers. (They are both working in CWP 2 right now).

DS has just come from MUS (changing curriculum had to do with competition with DD) to CLE. I've had to pull out MUS to teach some of the concepts to him. He has a tough time with Math no matter how it is served. He really likes CLE, I think, for the very short segments on each topic and the daily reviews. He loves the speed drills and dislikes the flashcards.