Menu

Math majors....

I need advice!

My oldest dd has decided to major in math with secondary education in college. She is a junior in high school and still has one more year at home. Because she had been planning to major in PE only, I've let her slide on Advanced Math. She started it the first time her sophomore year, but then decided to start from the beginning again last October because she didn't think she remembered enough (a curse of working full time during the summer - no time to keep current.)

She will only finish about 45 lessons before the end of this year. At this point, she plans to pick up where she left off next August and we are going to hire a tutor for her.

She's a very strong math student (not really sure why she decided to start over...) and generally I am only needed as a facilitator. She uses Saxon Teacher.

My question? She is only going to have two subjects next year - physics and math - and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to encourage her to double the pace of Advanced Math so she can start calculus before she heads off to college. Any thoughts?

Another option, although more of a long-shot because of her basketball schedule, is to drop the Advanced Math completely and see if she can take College Algebra & Trig this fall and first sem calculus in the spring at the local university.

Is it that important for her to have some calculus under her belt before her freshman year?

I don't think so.

I passed the AP calculus exam when I started college (AB). It got me out of one semester of calculus. There was still a ton of math :)

I'd recommend getting as solid an algebra/trig foundation as possible. If there's time (and interest), reading some about calculus and doing bits of it might be good (look at the idea of a limit for instance). Even if calc I is covered before college, it probably would be useful to retake it at the college. If you get the same instructor for Calc I and II, you can be sure the full topics are covered. I hate when one instructor doesn't cover the syllabus and there are gaps when picking up with a second course. :glare:

I agree with Dana. Making sure the algebra and trig are really solid is more important than having a calculus course in high school. I took calc my senior year and struggled, retook it in college and did much better. I was on track with my peers, not behind, and many of them had not had calc in high school at all. Also, if she is going for a secondary teaching certificate and not a technical field she can do a BA in math instead of a BS which demands fewer higher level math classes.

It is more important for her to have an extremely solid understanding of algebra and arithmetic, and to a slightly lesser degree geometry and trigonometry, than to hurry towards calculus.

However, there's also no real issue with accelerating if her understanding is solid. But if her scores are not at least 90% with a few small errors, I wouldn't do it.

Looking at the table of contents for advanced math, I only see two lessons (99 and 104) which deal with series, and none which deal with limits.

Rather than attempting to get through all of calc 1 in a semester, I would be more inclined (especially for a prospective math major) to do additional work on limits, sequences, and series, to lay a foundation for both calculus 1 and 2. Chalkdust's precalculus has some chapters on these. These are two topics which are frequently, frequently misunderstood by calculus students. But this is just my personal opinion.

However, there's also no real issue with accelerating if her understanding is solid. But if her scores are not at least 90% with a few small errors, I wouldn't do it.

Her scores are never less than 95% and are mostly all 100%, homework and tests.

I don't really want to buy Chalkdust just for for a few things, but I can discuss those gaps with her tutor if we go that route (which is most likely).

I don't really want to buy Chalkdust just for for a few things, but I can discuss those gaps with her tutor if we go that route (which is most likely).

Oh yeah, sorry if I gave that impression, I certainly wouldn't buy it for just a few things, just listing their textbook as one that has some chapters on it.

I also meant that while accelerating, her scores should *stay* over 90%, and if they start to drop, it would be time to slow back down. Nothing says you have to finish calc 1 in a semester ... if you get even the limit chapters of calc 1 done you're ahead of the game.

Mostly all 100% on homework with Saxon??? My dd is great at math and currently doing Advanced Math, seldom if ever getting 100% on lesson work. They introduce a lot of more complicated problems which haven't been taught in previous lesson in the 30 practice problems. Between some of these and the usual errors here and there ...

I think your plan to complete the Advanced Math next year is a good one. I wouldn't worry about the calculus as she'll be doing that in college anyway. Unless if she's a good bit through the book, in which case she could probably do a lesson a day and finish by the end of the summer and then start calculus in the fall.

Agreeing with the others. Actually, my college wouldn't let freshmen skip Calculus 1 even if we had a 5 on the AP Calculus exam. :glare: We took a course designed specifically for entering freshmen who had a year of calculus. It covered the 1st 2 quarters of calculus in 1 quarter. By the time our junior and senior years came around, I don't think anyone knew or cared who'd had calculus in high school versus college.

As a sidenote, the course I was the most grateful for in college was AP English. The teacher had us writing thesis papers again, and again, and again. Being able to throw a thesis paper together was a handy skill in college. ;)

I also meant that while accelerating, her scores should *stay* over 90%, and if they start to drop, it would be time to slow back down.

Duh. That makes more sense. I should have caught that.

Mostly all 100% on homework with Saxon???

Seriously. And mostly self-taught. It boggles my mind. My dh and I have always thought she should go that direction in college' date=' but she wanted no part of it. We stopped saying anything when she was about 13 and she's just now made this decision on her own.

As a sidenote, the course I was the most grateful for in college was AP English. The teacher had us writing thesis papers again, and again, and again. Being able to throw a thesis paper together was a handy skill in college. ;)

I was worried about that... but she's managed to get all As and Bs on her college papers. She's taken some dual-enrollment courses through our local university. I think I almost blew the earth off its course after I let my breath out after her first paper. ;)

My oldest dd has decided to major in math with secondary education in college. ...

She is only going to have two subjects next year - physics and math ...

Given that your daughter is college bound, I'm curious as to why she will only have two subjects next year.

Regards,

Kareni

Given that your daughter is college bound, I'm curious as to why she will only have two subjects next year.

Regards,

Kareni

Same here. Most colleges like to see seniors keeping up a good work load.

As for math, it could help to try some math from a different program. I find that a good test of understanding Algebra, etc.

My dd used to hate math with a passion and is also thinking about math as a college major; she also likes biochemistry, molecular biology and genetics, though, so she is toying with a few options.

Having a solid foundation is more important than exposure to calculus.

You might also check the foreign language requirement for a math degree. I tested out of three semesters and went on and took enough for a German minor, so I was set there.

What are the admission requirements for the program at her probably school choices? Is it competitive?

If not, I wouldn't worry about the Calculus in high school. Yes, it's nice to have that "boost" of having familiar material for a few weeks at the start of Calc class, but this will just require a bit more work on her part in college. Not a big deal.

I am a Secondary Ed Math/Comp Sci major right now, and the program starts at Calculus and builds from there. I would try to make sure that her pre-Calculus skills are solid, so that you don't have to waste tuition on math courses below Calculus (she will likely have a math placement test.)

Same here. Most colleges like to see seniors keeping up a good work load.

Until last summer she was going to graduate this year. Our basketball organization changed their rules, though, and she wouldn't be able to play if she graduates. We live in a college town and before the rule change it was common for kids to graduate at 16 or 17 and still play for one more year while they were at the local university. That was her plan. Our dual-enrollment options are severely limited - this semester there were only eight courses offered and only two my dd could take. We're HOPING they add something new next year, but at this point we have to make plans around that not happening. We're also looking into what online classes UK offers for dual-enrollment.

ANYHOO... when that happened, we split up the classes she needed to graduate between this year and next year. She added dual-enrollment classes this year, and a photography class. We're still working on next year, but as it stands she only has the science class and Advanced Math.

Her transcript is done by subject area with no dates listed. When she took each class is irrelevant.

What are the admission requirements for the program at her probably school choices? Is it competitive?

None of the schools she is considering are highly competitive. It isn't important for her to go to a competitive school with her goals - which are to teach and coach basketball and once she has her own children to coach and tutor math.

She originally only planned to major in PE and on her own realized that wasn't a good plan. She wants to be able to get a job when she graduates. ;)

I wonder if it would be worth it to pay the full tuition for her to take College Algebra and Trig at the university. If nothing else to give her exposure to university math classes. The biggest issue there is that both classes would have to be between 10am and noon - the only time she could be there consistently. I so wish we had a regular community college here!

My frustration is a remnant of my own college days - as a freshman in engineering at Illinois I was one of only a handful of my classmates that started with first semester calculus. Most of them had 2 or 3 semesters under their belt from high school. :( It made me feel inadequate. :p

Edited by Selah

I wonder if it would be worth it to pay the full tuition for her to take College Algebra and Trig at the university. If nothing else to give her exposure to university math classes.

I personally would not consider this, because College Algebra and Trigonometry are the remedial classes for students who enter university without enough prerequisites to take calculus. So, she would be surrounded by students who have difficulties in math - not the ideal situation for a math loving student.

I personally would not consider this, because College Algebra and Trigonometry are the remedial classes for students who enter university without enough prerequisites to take calculus. So, she would be surrounded by students who have difficulties in math - not the ideal situation for a math loving student.

THANK YOU! I never thought about that.

Until last summer she was going to graduate this year. Our basketball organization changed their rules, though, and she wouldn't be able to play if she graduates. We live in a college town and before the rule change it was common for kids to graduate at 16 or 17 and still play for one more year while they were at the local university. That was her plan. Our dual-enrollment options are severely limited - this semester there were only eight courses offered and only two my dd could take. We're HOPING they add something new next year, but at this point we have to make plans around that not happening. We're also looking into what online classes UK offers for dual-enrollment.

ANYHOO... when that happened, we split up the classes she needed to graduate between this year and next year. She added dual-enrollment classes this year, and a photography class. We're still working on next year, but as it stands she only has the science class and Advanced Math.

Her transcript is done by subject area with no dates listed. When she took each class is irrelevant.

Okay, that makes sense.