Menu

Those of you with clear vinyl on your table top...

what gauge of vinyl are you using? I'd like to cover our table with vinyl and place maps and such underneath it. I'd also like the option of being able to write on and wipe off the vinyl so it needs to be durable. I don't have a sense of the thickness of the gauge needed and I don't have ready access to compare. The tablecloths I've seen online are 8 and 12 gauge. Would this be sturdy enough for abuse by several children? TIA!

Sandy

I wish I could tell you the gauge - I have a new one but the gauge is not listed anywhere on the tissue paper that came off the roll with it.

I can tell you that it is very thick and not at all flimsy feeling. Going to the fabric store and checking for yourself is the best I can advise.

I use it on our school table and there is a cloth tablecloth underneath the vinyl. I just tested it for dry erase marker and it works but we also have other marker marks on it that have not come off.

I bought mine at Walmart in the fabric section by the yard. It's the heavier guage but can't remember how it was listed either. Unfortunately the cat decided he likes the feel but other than that it works great especially since our table is used for everything. I really thought it would help keep my cat off the table - should have known better.

Judy

Mine is the second-from-the-heaviest guage available. You don't want the heaviest guage because it has a tendency to stick out at the corners. You don't want a super light one either because it wrinkles up and doesn't stay in place. Get the second highest, and you should be alright.

I hold my plastic in place underneath the table using bungee cords and spring clips (1 inch size, from office supply store). I roll the vinyl and table cloth around a small dowel (1/8 in diameter, and 2 inches long). Then, I clip the spring clip on the roll. I do the same on the opposite side, then attach a bungee cord across. I have four cords down the length of my rectangular table. This holds the plastic firmly in place, making it much easier to clean and use.

I took pictures of it for my friend, and they're still in my computer. I can send them to you if you're interested in trying this.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I got this idea from someone on this board a few years ago. I don't remember who it was, but Thank You, whoever-you-are. :)

Thanks for all the helpful input.

One more question - so is it best to buy the vinyl by the yard or purchase a vinyl tablecloth with the ends sewn. I suppose it might not matter if you're clipping the ends under.

Suzanne, I would love it if you could email me a picture of your set up! Thanks!

Brenda, I was hoping the dry erase markers would work. I also use Sharpies on my page protectors and wipe them clean with alcohol. Maybe that would work on your other marks.

I've thought this was a great idea since first hearing about it several years ago but I just never got around to actually doing it. Now our wall space is at a premium and I'm excited at the prospect of making better use of our tables!

I agree w/ getting the second-to-the-heaviest gauge. holds up well to 5 kids here! I haven't noticed that it is any less protective than when i got the heaviest gauge.

i did the binder clip- bungee cord system till my toddlers kept taking them off, lol. I'm now waiting till the kids are OUT of that stage.

i like the wet-erase markers for drawing on the table.

don't get a vinyl tablecloth: it's super flimsy. get the stuff on the roll at WalMart :)

enjoy!

For those who have done this, how long does the vinyl hold up under normal homeschooling-and-eating circumstances?

I think I've had mine on the table for over a year now - I have a replacement for it, though. The vinyl has held up, but there's permanent marker on it - glue and tape spots, glitter stuck on it - its time to put the new one on!!!

And another thing - I bought dry erase lap boards from Rainbow Resource for each of the kids to use as a hard writing surface at their spot at the table.

Oh - and I don't use the vinyl for eating. If we are going to use the dining table for a meal/company, the hs table cloth and vinyl come off and I just use a regular tablecloth for the meal.

Thanks for all the helpful input.

One more question - so is it best to buy the vinyl by the yard or purchase a vinyl tablecloth with the ends sewn. I suppose it might not matter if you're clipping the ends under.

Brenda, I was hoping the dry erase markers would work. I also use Sharpies on my page protectors and wipe them clean with alcohol. Maybe that would work on your other marks.

I'd buy it by the yard - it's about $2/yd at Wal-mart. There's no need for the edges to be hemmed.

Thanks for the tip about the alcohol - I'll try it if we have the same problem with my new one!

I think I've had mine on the table for over a year now - I have a replacement for it, though. The vinyl has held up, but there's permanent marker on it - glue and tape spots, glitter stuck on it - its time to put the new one on!!!

And another thing - I bought dry erase lap boards from Rainbow Resource for each of the kids to use as a hard writing surface at their spot at the table.

Oh - and I don't use the vinyl for eating. If we are going to use the dining table for a meal/company, the hs table cloth and vinyl come off and I just use a regular tablecloth for the meal.

Thanks! :001_smile: