Menu

For those that do lapbooking

TracyR

Thought I would ask here . The one group I'm on I have to wait to have my message approve and would love more automatic feedback from here .

Anyways we've been really enjoying this quite a bit and have some questions for those of you who are die hard 'lapbookers' ( is that even a word ?"

1. What supplies do you find you must keep on hand ( other then file folders and glue :D) ?

2. Where do you buy most of your supplies ?

3. Ink. How do you not go broke on printer ink ? We have two computers , two printers and our printers seem to drink ink like a hot and thirsty child when printing . So do you purchase refill kits ? Buy off of Ebay ? So since ink is more expensive then gas what is the scoop ?

Right now we are putting together our own lapbooks so are doing alot of copying off the computer until I purchase some all-ready- put together books .

As for the ink I got Staples and buy the refill kits there. They have instructions in them and everything. My printer also drinks the ink. It is worse if I don't use draft mode.

I do lapbooks here and there. I just buy whatever looks like it might be fun some time. I already have a lot of scrapbooking supplies, so we use a lot of those.

You can find a lot of free lapbooks online or there are some wonderful pre-made ones at handsofachild.com .

We've done both.

Supplies:

8 1'2 x 11 and 11x17 colored cardstock is a must.

I usually buy mine at RocksolidInc.com and they usually have some kind

of deal or another

Colored Pencils are another favorite here. Younger children may prefer crayons or markers but we have found that there is more control with quality colored pencils.

Another good resource is Dover Books. They have some great little sticker books and small format coloring books that are great to use on all topics.

For fun, I also like the little pre-made little file folders that are different colors or patters as well as library envelopes like that. I think I bought them at Tobins Lab? Sometimes the local teacher's store has them as well.

Have a lot of fun on your Lapbooking adventures! :D

I haunt the clearance sections of the scrapbooking aisle of stores like Target. I got a huge pack of cardstock for $.97! Also, the Ultimate Lapbook Handbook (I think by Tammy Duby?)and Big Book of Books by Dinah Zike have been worth their cost... we now make our own books instead of printing them up. It really takes the same amount of time, although my kids are older (9 and 11). For my 7 yr, old I make the books myself.

1. What supplies do you find you must keep on hand ( other then file folders and glue :D) ?

2. Where do you buy most of your supplies ?

3. Ink. How do you not go broke on printer ink ? We have two computers , two printers and our printers seem to drink ink like a hot and thirsty child when printing . So do you purchase refill kits ? Buy off of Ebay ? So since ink is more expensive then gas what is the scoop ?

Right now we are putting together our own lapbooks so are doing alot of copying off the computer until I purchase some all-ready- put together books .

Supplies:

Glue Sticks (to adhere booklets to file folder or card stock)

Spray Glue (to adhere file folders together)

Card Stock (to adhere booklets onto instead of using a file folder)

3 Prong folders (to put 3 holed punched card stock into and use in place of a file folder)

24 lb colored paper (to make copies of booklets)

scissors

brads (needed for some booklets)

stapler

Some folks use those stick dots (the ones for scrap books). I haven't tried this yet, but plan too.

NOTE: I prefer 24 lb paper to card stock when making booklets. It is easier to work with, not as thick, and is still durable. Just a personal preference.

Purchase Supplies:

Office Depot: glue sticks, colored 24lb paper, colored file folders

Staples: 24 lb paper and file folders

Joann's: Card Stock (I use the 40% off coupons when I have nothing else bigger to purchase)

Walmart: Brads, scissors, 3M spray glue

My favorite company that make lapbooks is HOAC. I Love that they have the research right there for me and I don't "have" to add anything more to our study. I don't "have" to search for the answers. They are all there in the guide. But I do occasional add extra stuff to our lapbooks (books, magazines, movies, etc).

There are free lapbooking sites: Homeschool Share and Homeschool Helper. But there are a few yahoo groups out there now that share lapbooks that they created with other people. Oh, here's a good group to look at: Lapbook Lessons. And one the members just made a WONDERFUl FAQ site: Lapbooking Frequently Asked Questions Jimmie is just a wealth of information! :D

INK:

I send my pdf's into the UPS Store and they make the copies for me. I purchase a 1000 copy punch card (cost $35), and they just deduct my copies from the card. It is so easy and I don't use my machine at home. I LOVE THIS! I don't think I would be able to do much lapbooking if I wasn't able to do this. Most of the time have them make black and white copies for me and I take down my 24lb colored paper to make copies from the black and white copies I had made. Sometimes I will even send in a colored page I need and they will print it out in color for me. This is GREAT because I don't have a colored printer.

If you want them (UPS Store, Office Depot, Staples) to make colored copies for you, they will. If you want them to print out the pdf on colored paper, they will, but be for warned, they charge an arm and a leg for their colored paper. It is cheaper to take your own colored paper down and use the black and white master that they made for you and make the copies yourself.

I have 4 children that lapbook. If I am doing a small project with 1 child, I will use my printer. But for big job, I send the pdf in, they make a black and white copy (my master) for me, and I bring down my colored paper and make the copies of the booklets for the kids.

I hope I explained how I use the UPS Store a little more clearer this time. :)

I think KBC is the only company that has pre-made lapbooks (ones that are already assembled) for sale. The other copies do have hard copies you can purchase and have mailed to you. But they aren't put together for you already. They are just provide the pages already printed for you (HOAC also provides extras needed like brads & file folder), so you don't have to make the copies. You will still have to cut, fold, and glue them.

We have a supply of construction paper and a tub of markers, crayons and colored pencils handy. We have multiple scissors and tapes so nobody is waiting on them. I buy supplies in bulk at Sam's Club. As for the ink, we use refill cartridges and buy the ink online.

I have made plenty of my own lapbooks so I really appreciate and like the convenience of using pre-designed ones from Knowledgeboxcentral and Handsofachild.

I use regular file folders that I get in bulk at Sam's. Sometimes you can recycle old folders too.

Is lapbooking predominantly an activity for younger children or do some of your older children enjoy and benefit from it too? I have an upcoming 6th grader who might enjoy lapbooking, but I'm wondering if he's too old for this. TIA!

IMO, 6th grade is a great age for lapbooks. I've done a couple with my dd this year (1st grade) and they were fun, but I did most of the work. At 6th grade, they can do all the cutting, folding, gluing and writing themselves! We really learned a lot while doing them, so I think they're great in that way - not busy work - and the books themselves are wonderful keepsakes. For us this year though, they were pretty time-consuming and more labor-intensive for Mom than I would have liked (it's hard to make a lapbook while your 3 yo is running around, LOL!).

HTH,

Melissa