Menu

"plant bulbs point side up." Well.....

what if there truly was NO point? OR many? Dh, both dd's and I were scratching our heads. With the ones that DID have a point, we planted that side up. With the good little bulbs that had a sprout, we planted them sprout side up. What to do with the rest? What if we planted them upside down? I moistened some peat moss and placed them on the moss inside an open plastic bag. I'm going to wait for a sprout and then plant them. Does this sound ok? They are caladiums, or better known as the red elephant ears.

Also, I planted the above and cannas in Miracle Grow potting mix. WHY did I get that? I do know that MG is not a preferred soil but it's what Walmart had to offer while I was there. Is that too strong to get the cannas/caladiums started?

Also, I found some organic vegetable seed mix in the garage today. I live in NH so it's been through deep freezes. Should I throw it out? There's swiss chard, zucchini, summer squash to name a few.

It felt good using my green house again. I miss gardening! I hope to buy small veggie plants and get them in the ground after the first frost.

cannot advise you on the bulbs,

But many seeds like being frozen. Because I live in a warm climate, We actually put some seeds in the freezer, it helps improve germination rates. We do this with lettuce and been seeds. Other seeds benefit from freezing because pests like some borer Beatles lay their eggs just under the skin of the seed, freezing kills them.

what if there truly was NO point? OR many? Dh, both dd's and I were scratching our heads. With the ones that DID have a point, we planted that side up. With the good little bulbs that had a sprout, we planted them sprout side up. What to do with the rest? What if we planted them upside down? I moistened some peat moss and placed them on the moss inside an open plastic bag. I'm going to wait for a sprout and then plant them. Does this sound ok? They are caladiums, or better known as the red elephant ears.

I don't think it would matter.. if you put them upside down by mistake, they just take a little longer to sprout, that's all.

Bulbs grow no matter how you plant them!! At least this is my experience the many years ago I planted a bunch. My FIL was telling me, 'Those will never grow! That's a foot of rock you are planting in." Well, 15 years later those same bulbs are still growing and blooming in that same 'foot of rock' ;)

Really----nature will find a way.........

Do your bulbs have no fuzzy little brown stuff on one side? That's the root...that side down. If your bulbs have no points or roots...they are from Venus and should be buried immediately. :D

Wow. VENUS!!! Whoda thunk? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, a few of them had little fuzzy brown stuff, but it was on several sides. It was very hard to tell! :lol::lol:

Does anyone know if Miracle Grow is to strong a potting mix to get them started in? I've never used it before. I don't typically use chemicals.

Thanks everyone!