Menu

MP's Famous Men series looks appealing, except for

the fact that it's all about MEN - no famous women it appears. I am looking at the FMof Modern Times. My dd10&8 have been pointing this out. Do you know of any curriculum that compares with MP's that includes women of history?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I don't know of curricula per se, but I have found biographies of females for my daughters to read. Landmark books, though OOP, have some good biographical selections.

Dd11 and I have enjoyed the "Outrageous Women" series. She's read Outrageous Women of Ancient Times and is reading Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages, both by Vicki Leon.

I've made an effort to search out books, biographies and fictional works, and history magazines focused on the lives of women and girls throughout history. In addition to the short bios in the "Outrageous Women books" she's read complete works about Hatshepshut, Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Theodosia, Anna of Byzantium, and Ethelfled (daughter of Alfred of Wessex). She will read about Eleanor of Aquitaine, the real Mu Lan, Genghis and Kubla Khan's female relatives (whose names escape me right now), and Joan of Arc.

Dd also reads descriptions of everyday life for each period we study in history. I want her to know the roles women played throughout history---not just as daughters and mothers and nurturers, but as leaders, innovators and academics.

Dd11 and I have enjoyed the "Outrageous Women" series. She's read Outrageous Women of Ancient Times and is reading Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages, both by Vicki Leon.

I've made an effort to search out books, biographies and fictional works, and history magazines focused on the lives of women and girls throughout history. In addition to the short bios in the "Outrageous Women books" she's read complete works about Hatshepshut, Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Theodosia, Anna of Byzantium, and Ethelfled (daughter of Alfred of Wessex). She will read about Eleanor of Aquitaine, the real Mu Lan, Genghis and Kubla Khan's female relatives (whose names escape me right now), and Joan of Arc.

Dd also reads descriptions of everyday life for each period we study in history. I want her to know the roles women played throughout history---not just as daughters and mothers and nurturers, but as leaders, innovators and academics.

Thanks for sharing that series. I haven't heard of it and will check it out.

Yes, exactly - nurturers as well as leaders, innovators, and academia! We have done some reading with biographies of some of the women you mentioned as well. I appreciate your recommendations on the series - will definitely have to check that out. I really wanted to get the Famous Men of Modern Times book, but not without have a female counterpart!! LOL Let's just say dd10 & 8 will appreciate seeing a conglomeration of female bios :D Thanks much.

A few books I have (given to me by very successful friend) . . .

Lives of Extraordinary Women: Rulers, Rebels (and What the Neighbors Thought)

Kathleen Krull

The Sky's the Limit: Stories of Discovery by Women and Girls

Catherine Thimmesh

Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women Catherine Thimmesh

33 Things Every Girl Should Know about Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A.

edited by Tonya Bolden

Madam President: The Extraordinary, True (and Evolving) Story of Women in Politics

Catherine Thimmesh

Women Warriors: Myths and Legends of Heroic Women

Marianna Mayer

A few books I have (given to me by very successful friend) . . .

Lives of Extraordinary Women: Rulers, Rebels (and What the Neighbors Thought)

Kathleen Krull

The Sky's the Limit: Stories of Discovery by Women and Girls

Catherine Thimmesh

Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women Catherine Thimmesh

33 Things Every Girl Should Know about Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A.

edited by Tonya Bolden

Madam President: The Extraordinary, True (and Evolving) Story of Women in Politics

Catherine Thimmesh

Women Warriors: Myths and Legends of Heroic Women

Marianna Mayer

Thank you, Tiffnkids. I appreciate it. The titles look interesting! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Cheryl