Menu

Trouble regulating body temperature - can anything be done?

I was just talking to dh about this, and he mentioned that hypothyroidism is the most common cause for the set of symptoms you are describing. If that has definitively been ruled out, he thinks you should try to check your basal body temperature to see if you are simply feeling cold or truly not regulating (are you still 98° or are you currently hovering at 96° or 95°?). Less common reasons for feeling cold can include infection (sometimes chills can occur without accompanying fever). Also, true thermal dysregulation can have some neurological component. If you are feeling profoundly cold, you really need a full work-up by your physician.

I'm always running on the cold side myself, so I totally feel for you! I have to remember to stay warm, because when I'm cold, I turn wickedly cranky. In the winter months, I have to stay away from carbs and eat a high fat diet (well-sourced, organic, saturated fats). This past winter, the only things keeping me feeling semi-normal was a large amount of organic butter and extra-virgin coconut oil, especially the coconut oil (the medium-chain fatty acids change your metabolism).

I hope you feel better soon!! :grouphug::grouphug:

Edited by yllek
typo - pesky medical words!

We must be twins. I have very poor circulation and low blood pressure. Dh is always amazed that my hands and feet are still like ice after several hours under 2 down duvets. Barring medical issues, have you tried to work out lately? I find on days that I work out it gets my blood pumping more efficiently and does help me stay warmer. Also, try running your wrists under warm water. For some reason it warms your blood quite quickly. Frigid hugs to you! :grouphug:

I have this problem. Yesterday it was 70 degrees outside, but I couldn't bring myself to take off my winter jacket. I felt like a total goofball entering the rec center with my coat on, but I was just so cold. I have hypothyroidism and it has gotten a little better with treatment, but it has obviously not completely gone away.

Lisa

The combination of what you are dealing with sounds very much like my sister. She has Dysautonomia. It centers around the body's inability to regulate the involuntary bodily functions. She has had the same tests you have described and similar results. If you would like more information I can get it from her. She is doing better now that she has gotten everything regulated - she had very low blood pressure and a high heart rate among other things.

Michele, have you lost any weight recently from being so busy and going so hard? If you have, your body needs time just to get used to the lower fat levels. Until then, you literally would feel cold.

If this has been going on for months, then I would question the thyroid labs. Have them read you the results, what the tests were and the ranges, then compare them to what you see online. Thyroid is seldom tested as thoroughly as it ought to be.

Everybody's body reacts differently to stress. If this just started in the last few weeks with the VT, it may be your body's way of responding.