Menu

Where to Find Kittens to Play with only?

On another thread, I asked if DS should get a cat or guinea pig. I have landed on the cat side of the argument. I was talking with DS about it today, however, and realized he has never played with a real live kitten! How does he know he would really want one if he's never even held a live one?! How does a child get his age without playing with kittens? It was sort of shocking for me because I was around kittens all the time as a child because my relatives lived on farms. I could go visit them almost every week and I knew I loved them and wanted one. DH is trying to persuade DS that he doesn't really want a pet and that he'd be just as happy with a techno gadget bribe to get him to give up on the pet dream. To be fair, DS has admitted he really doesn't know what he wants now because he knows how cool the longed for gadget is and doesn't know what the "features" of a kitten are. :lol:

I would like to take him somewhere so he can play with some kittens and see if he likes them or not. I certainly wouldn't want to get one and DS decide that they are cute and all but he doesn't like the claws or playing their games. We have a cat and he likes her but she is not playful at all and doesn't really even want him to pet her. She is nothing like a kitten. We have just moved so we have no friends. Would an animal shelter let him come to just play with kittens (supervised of course) some afternoon? We are not wanting to actually get a kitten until sometime this summer. Where would one go about finding a kitten to borrow? I had him watch some videos on youtube of kittens playing but I felt really lame.

Our shelter welcomes visitors to hang out with the animals. It helps them to be around people.

Same here. Definitely call the shelters around you… they almost always welcome people to come play with the cats, walk the dogs, etc.

Your son might enjoy this music video -

:D

Thanks, I was hoping a shelter would be ok. I'm nervous about calling because the shelters where we used to live were very anti-kid. I would be scared to have taken my kids in there. We don't have a Petsmart anywhere near us. Hopefully this shelter, in a rural area, will be more family friendly. If we wanted to adopt a kitten from the shelters where we used to live, I would have had to go in myself and pretend I didn't have any kids. :glare:

Paige, the rural shelter, is it run by animal control? Is that an elected office? Our shelter is run by animal control (but it's dog only) and the warden is elected. They have to be nice. Our present warden is the nicest lady (she's been in there forever) and she knows everyone (and their dogs). That (elected position) can make a HUGE difference in how they treat you.

The shelters by me love having people come in and just play with the animals. (You can even volunteer to bring in some food or some toys or some blankets or some such and make a donation out of it, too).

Pet stores that sell kittens (not that I'm a fan) would allow you to play with the kittens.

And if you have any farms nearby where you can go on a tour or field trip or some such, they often tend to have a bunch of cats and kittens around, too. Around here, anyway!

Offer to foster. You'll all gain experience and if kittens wind up not being your cup of tea, well they'll go to homes soon enough. The other pro is, if you wind up falling in love with one or two (and I vote for two..two kittens who grow up together are easier and more fun than one), you can always go ahead and adopt them yourself.

Barb