Menu

Can anyone tell me about Glencoe Algebra I

I had once picked up a copy at the library used book sale so that I could compare it to other texts.

My problem with Glencoe is its busy-ness. There are color photos and sidebars everywhere which have nothing to do with the matter at hand, i.e. the formal content or examples. Many math text books try to make the material "relevant" by including pictures of supposed "real world" examples of mathematics, but I find that they only detract from the material--not contribute to it.

From a content standpoint, the text is fair--there are certainly better and probably worse books out there.

Is there a compelling reason for you to use Glencoe?

Jane

Is there a compelling reason for you to use Glencoe?

Jane

I was asking about it b/c it is what the public school in our area uses. It is the 8th grade text. (Oddly, they use Saxon Algebra I, not 1/2, for their pre-algebra course, which is the text my son is working through right now). Because of the way my son is wired, we are seriously considering putting him in school this coming year. This is his desire, but ultimately my decision. I am in the process of reviewing/researching the curriculum they use and really value this board's opinions! Thanks! :)

I used Glencoe Algebra 1 in combination with videos from Hotmath to explain concepts. We got to about Ch 7 (1/2 way through) and got stuck). The book did well up until this point. I felt the explanations weren't clear enough to understand the concept. We switched to BJU and did fine.

Glencoe may work well with a good teacher.

Be aware there are several versions of Algebra 1 by Glencoe.

Ds (in public school) took Algebra in 8th grade as an honors class, and had a really hard Glencoe text. he retook Algebra in 9th grade--you'd think they'd use the same text, but no! The text was another one from Glencoe, but it actually was much easier! Weird, huh?