Menu

Don't you hate it how charges show in your online banking...

{warning--petty rant ahead...)

...and there's no way to *stop* them, even if they're just listed as "pending" or "processing". :cursing:

We've had trouble with fraud on our account in the past, and even if I catch it before the charge clears, they can't stop the transaction.

This time, it's not fraud, it's Weight Watchers. Apparently, if you want to cancel your subscription to WW Online, you have to cancel it *before* your re-up date. Doing it on the date is not sufficient. The charge has not been processed yet, but there's no way to cancel it. WW won't withdraw the charge either. (Thanks WW, *love* the "customer service" grr...)

Sorry...vent over. :chillpill::nopity:

Edited by Julie in CA

Grr. I so understand. My husband ordered flowers for me a month ago. Super sweet, right? Unfortunately, when he ordered they also signed him up for some type of flower reward card that automatically subtracts money from our account EVERY TWO WEEKS! He doesn't remember agreeing to anything like that. Craziness. I've been fighting them for the past two weeks trying to get them to cancel our "subscription" and stop deducting money. At this point, I'm ready to get the BBB involved!

I wonder why your bank is not helping you. We had issues like this in the past and our bank was very helpful in helping us getting rid of a transaction or stopping a transaction.

In cases of fraud, my bank is very good about replacing the money that's been stolen, but they will not even do that until the transaction completely clears. They won't do anything about a "pending" transaction.

I've noticed recently, with the rise in gas prices, that when I fill the car, the amount pinged for possible sale is now $100....it used to be $50....that sits as pending until the real total is batch-closed by the station- very annoying!

I've been taken for a ride by WW as well :glare:

I've noticed recently, with the rise in gas prices, that when I fill the car, the amount pinged for possible sale is now $100....it used to be $50....that sits as pending until the real total is batch-closed by the station- very annoying!

Some stations around here do that (and it's $75, not $100), but some don't. I think if you choose "debit" they only charge you for the exact amt.. but you get hit with fees. But useful for us to know as we don't always have that cushion :/

This time, it's not fraud, it's Weight Watchers. Apparently, if you want to cancel your subscription to WW Online, you have to cancel it *before* your re-up date. Doing it on the date is not sufficient. The charge has not been processed yet, but there's no way to cancel it. WW won't withdraw the charge either. (Thanks WW, *love* the "customer service" grr...)

I had the same thing happen with EA Games a few years back. I tired to cancel my account the day before the account renewed. They had already submitted the charge to my bank. The bank wouldn't cancel the charge. EA Games also made it very hard to find a phone number to contact them with. After hours of searching for a phone number, the customer service person didn't speak English and either didn't or wouldn't understand that I wanted to cancel the account immediately rather than at the next renewal.

Wow, I guess we are lucky. In our area, they only deduct $1. For some strange reason though, all pizza places deduct a very small amount for a tip but it is not a set dollar amount or a percentage of sale. We can't figure out where they get the number from. :confused:

If you catch something before it is pending though then they can decline the charge. I recently had a website try to charge me an incorrect amount. I immediately called my bank and informed them and they said the would decline that charge if it showed up and then froze my debit for two weeks if it tried to hit in which it would be declined if it tried to hit. At the end of two weeks, they release the freeze and the charge never hit and I didn;t have any problems using my card again.

I just checked the ww site, and it is pretty specific about how and when to cancel before you get charged again, imo. You cancel right on the site. That is different than accidentally signing up for something that is hard to cancel.

Oh yes, there's no problem at all with canceling, other than the charge happening *before* the re-up date/time, and WW customer "service" unwilling to actually serve by canceling or reversing the charge. We all know that when a business truly wants to please customers or gain repeat customers, they cancel the transaction or issue a credit for what hasn't been used. The next month had not even started yet, but they're choosing to keep my $17.95 (appx.) rather than have my good will and repeat business in the future. If the month had already started, I'd understand, but that wasn't the case. :glare: