Menu

selling used books

My local homeschool group is having a sell/swap/barter sale tomorrow. It is very easy and laid back, bring your books, a sack lunch, and meet to enjoy one another's company and get rid of books. Sounds great, but how do I price my books? Some are like new. Most have no writing or marks in them. A couple were never used. My original thought was to ask 1/2 of the sticker price. But, are folks going to be willing to pay that for a "trunk" sale? Do I take what I can get and be glad for some cash and more room or the bookshelves? Or do I start looking into online options to sell?

You could price them at half of Amazon or similar pricing and if they don't sell then try on line. Decide ahead of time if you are willing to go down a little or group them for a single price. I would put the full price on them and your selling price.

My local homeschool group is having a sell/swap/barter sale tomorrow. It is very easy and laid back, bring your books, a sack lunch, and meet to enjoy one another's company and get rid of books. Sounds great, but how do I price my books? Some are like new. Most have no writing or marks in them. A couple were never used. My original thought was to ask 1/2 of the sticker price. But, are folks going to be willing to pay that for a "trunk" sale? Do I take what I can get and be glad for some cash and more room or the bookshelves? Or do I start looking into online options to sell?

If you need 'good' money for them, sell them online. Most relaxed get togethers are more about swaps then making money.

If you need 'good' money for them, sell them online. Most relaxed get togethers are more about swaps then making money.

I tried selling at one local curriculum swap/sale. People acted shocked that any books were priced over $1. I saw items like Prairie Primer going for $1 because, well, to price a book higher was "outrageous" according to swap/sale buyers. They expected to pay about .25 for chapter books. If I'd known in advance what to expect, I'd have sold a bunch of my stuff online instead.

I don't think all swap/sales are like this. At least I sure hope not! I really don't think it's right to feel coerced to sell curriculum at sub-Goodwill prices.

Is there any way to ask the organizers what amount buyers are generally willing to pay, so you can decide what you want to try to sell there, and price accordingly?

I tried selling at one local curriculum swap/sale. People acted shocked that any books were priced over $1. I saw items like Prairie Primer going for $1 because, well, to price a book higher was "outrageous" according to swap/sale buyers. They expected to pay about .25 for chapter books. If I'd known in advance what to expect, I'd have sold a bunch of my stuff online instead.

I don't think all swap/sales are like this. At least I sure hope not! I really don't think it's right to feel coerced to sell curriculum at sub-Goodwill prices.

Is there any way to ask the organizers what amount buyers are generally willing to pay, so you can decide what you want to try to sell there, and price accordingly?

I had this experience last spring. I was selling an almost new copy of CW Homer student text for $8. There was writing on 3 pages only and that was clearly marked on the price card. One lady was outraged that I would expect so much for "an obviously used" book. She offered $2. I said no. If she wasn't so unkind about it, I might have agreed to barter or swap. Hoping tomorrow goes better!