Menu

Do you need teacher books for MCT?

After reading lots of glowing endorsements for the MCT curriculum I'm considering adding it to what I'm already doing with my recently turned 6 year old dd who needs more of a challenge. My question is whether the teacher books are essential or if the student books cover the material sufficiently. The cost for all the teacher/student books for the first level is over $200 and I hate to spend that and then realize it's too easy and the teacher books are unnecessary.

I have heard people suggest to get just the teacher books. They have all the information presented in the student books plus the extra information you may need. I did it with just the student books and it worked out just fine so which ever way works best for you.

If you get the 1st edition, the TM's contain the entire student book full-size up front with the lesson plans & answers in the back. The exception is the "practice" book. FWIW, I switched charters because of a move partway through Practice Town and had to turn in my TM for that. I found that I was able to figure out the answers without the TM.

If you go with the new 2nd edition, you will need additional student books for certain of the components. Whatever is in the "basic" package is what you need.

I wouldn't go with just the student books because the program relies so heavily on Socratic dialogue with the student. For that, you'll need the lesson plans and other information in the TM's.

We are doing Island with just the teacher books. It has not been a problem so far, and we have gone through Grammar Island and Sentence Island completely and are moving through MotH and Building Language now. The only thing extra I have had to do is write the sentences from Practice Island out by hand for ds to do the analysis, as the teacher book has the answers.

I have heard people suggest to get just the teacher books. They have all the information presented in the student books plus the extra information you may need. I did it with just the student books and it worked out just fine so which ever way works best for you.

When I called them last year about what to get, I spoke to a man who suggested that I get just the teacher books for the writing books & the poetry book I ordered.