Menu

Pinkeye/Conjunctivitis

DD has got some yellowish/cream colored "stuff" in the corners of her eye. This morning they were just really crusty and now I just wiped some actual goop. Is this the beginning of conjunctivitis or pinkeye? I know it's been going around a few families that we know. I did a quick search and it looks like it typically goes away on it's own. We've already been to the doctor once this week and I have family coming in town tomorrow. I'd really love to skip another doctor's appointment right now, unless it's something she needs to be seen for? Besides good hand-washing, separate towels, is there anything else I can do for her? There is no redness or puffiness at the moment. Maybe it's just "crustiness" in her eye and I'm jumping to conclusions?

if you are looking for a natural and SAFE method for healing, I would suggest:

BREASTMILK.

Yes... if you aren't still nursing (I guess you aren't by the looks of your siggy), can you find a good friend that you trust to donate a few squirts? You can use a dropper to apply the "medicine" to your child's eye.

I know it sounds weird, but I've actually donated some of my milk to friends who had kids that were suffering. Yes, strange, but it worked. ;)

Huh. If *I* had some, I'd be willing to try it...not sure that I could use someone else's....

I don't think I'd be comfortable applying someone else's body fluids to my child's eyes… :001_unsure:

Neither of our kids have ever had pink eye.. I did as a kid, quite frequently (it seemed to me anyway!) and I remember having these awful (to me) drops to put in it.

Use gauze to wipe from the inside corner out with strong chamomile tea. It fixed my son's viral pinkeye overnight. I was shocked. Don't reuse the gauze to wipe again. Get a fresh one if you wipe more than once.

They give me all sorts of advice here that I've never heard in America from cleaning surgical wounds with tea to boiling and drinking banana peel tea or tea made from that hair stuff from the top of corn husks. I was skeptical, but so far it all has worked.

Don't bother going to the DR, ours won't give anything for it. There is a homeopathic drop, I'll have to go look up the name, but I found in the local grocery store and it helps clear it up really fast.

Otherwise, be careful it is very contagious. So, we make sure and use the washcloth only on the LO with pinkeye and have them wash hands a lot.

ETA: It's called Similasan’s Pink Eye Relief.

Edited by indigomama

OK, explain more. Which kind of tea? how long to brew? how many bags?

And what is the banana and the corn silk for? You have to tell how and why. I am too curious!:lol:

Use gauze to wipe from the inside corner out with strong chamomile tea. It fixed my son's viral pinkeye overnight. I was shocked. Don't reuse the gauze to wipe again. Get a fresh one if you wipe more than once.

They give me all sorts of advice here that I've never heard in America from cleaning surgical wounds with tea to boiling and drinking banana peel tea or tea made from that hair stuff from the top of corn husks. I was skeptical, but so far it all has worked.

bREASTMILK IS THE (sorry) best remedy for it. That said, we usually just call our pediatrician for a prescription if it doesn't clear quickly. IF I had family coming in tomorrow, I would call my ped. first thing in the morning and get a script. It is VERY contagious.

OK, explain more. Which kind of tea? how long to brew? how many bags?

And what is the banana and the corn silk for? You have to tell how and why. I am too curious!:lol:

I brewed 4 bags in a little less than a cup of water. I let it sit there for a couple hours to get it really strong.

The corn silk is for UTIs and the banana skin is for nausea.

I was shocked that my son's pinkeye was gone so quick. The viral kind tends to go on for a long time.

Since you can't tell whether it's bacterial or viral, I'd call the dr and see what they say. Often if my child has just been in for something and something else pops up, they will write a script w/o seeing her.

In fact, I thought she might have pinkeye just this week--we were in Thurs for a virus and that night her eye looked like it might be pinking up--turned out it was just from drainage.

Wash the pillowcase, too.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is pink eye. I get goopy stuff in my eyes every day. I've never had pink eye, except a couple of weeks ago I suspected I might have it. My eyes were unusually itchy (I have allergies too), and it just wouldn't go away with the allergy eye drops I normally use. Dh had some prescription stuff for eye infection (not specifically for pink eye). I used that and it went away. But I still get non-pink eye goop all the time.

if you are looking for a natural and SAFE method for healing, I would suggest:

BREASTMILK.

Yes... if you aren't still nursing (I guess you aren't by the looks of your siggy), can you find a good friend that you trust to donate a few squirts? You can use a dropper to apply the "medicine" to your child's eye.

I know it sounds weird, but I've actually donated some of my milk to friends who had kids that were suffering. Yes, strange, but it worked. ;)

It works because breastmilk contains an antibody which fights the bacteria. "A particular antibody in the breast milk, called immunoglobulin A, prevents the pink eye bacteria from attaching to the mucosal surface of the eye. This limits the growth of the bacteria, helping to end the eye infection." (http://www.pregnancy-info.net)