Menu

wireless dog fences

We are considering purchasing a wireless dog fence. Our yard is hedged and we've successfully trained a myriad of dogs to stay in our yard (including three basset hounds, no easy feat :)). Until now, all the dogs in our lives began their lives with us at 6 months of age or older (we've generally adopted adults). A few weeks ago we brought home our dog Lucy. She's a yellow lab and she's 12 weeks old. We just think we want better containment with such a young pup.

So, has anyone had success with a wireless dog fence? Just checking through our options.post-519-13535084717789_thumb.jpg

So cute!

We have a radio fence and it's great! You have to do the training with the dog, but it is one of the best things I think we've done for our dog. We have even moved once, got a new fence, did a little training on the new layout and haven't had any trouble.

Good luck!

We love our PetSafe Wireless fence. Our Labradoodle was fully trained within a day or two and has not attempted to cross the fence line in the three years since. She was a year old when we got her, and it might take a bit longer with a young pup, but maybe not. One of my favorite things about it is that we can take the fence with us when we travel. We spend a good bit of time at my parents' beach house, which doesn't have a fenced yard, but with the wireless fence I just plug it in when we get there and never have to worry about her wandering.

The batteries are a bit of a pain - expensive and only last 6 weeks or so, but at home, she's so well-trained that she doesn't even have to wear the collar anymore; nothing she's ever seen has tempted her to cross that invisible line.

My sister and parents were so impressed that they both have the PetSafe fences now as well, and they've had similar results with their dogs (Boykin Spaniel & Llhasa Apso). Quick and apparently permanent training.

Good luck finding the right solution for your little one :)

SBP

We have an electric fence --- LOVE IT!!!! I have 2 dogs and they are rarely outside without me but it is so nice to not have to put them on a lead to walk them outside to do their business.

It was super easy to train them too but you need to wait until they are 6 or 9m old. I don't remember exactly the recommended age but 12 weeks is too young. We followed the directions exactly and my dogs have never left their yard. We went with Innotek and installed the system ourselves, around our 2 acre lot.

Some will warn you that the fence will not keep people or dogs out of your yard and away from your dog. True, which is why my dogs are rarely outside without me. The presence of my dogs, running through the yard, around the house has kept door-to-door salemen, and other folks away from my home :) I like that !

Carole