Menu

curriculum planning block

You've heard of writer's block? I have curriculum planning block. I need help from people who won't just give a breezy "Oh, it's just first grade. Relax."

I have researched everything, it seems like. But I'm at a loss for everything except Singapore Math. That's my constant.

This year, she will finish FLL 1, AAS 3, and about half of SSL. We should have finished SSL, it's my fault that we didn't. She's read a ton of books, including SOTW 1 and 2 on her own. She just finished The Jungle Book and loved it. AAS is sort of a waste, since she doesn't need that much instruction. We skip most of the lessons and go straight for the words.

I want the best for dd, obviously. But the first problem is figuring out what "the best" is. It needs to be something challenging. The second problem is finding the compromise between "the best" and "what I can handle without neglecting my other children."

So, for a 6-year-old who:

-- can read just about anything

-- is a natural speller who needs a spelling program to give her confidence

-- understands concepts quite easily

-- is good at memorizing, but will forget what is memorized without frequent review

-- left to herself would play dolls with her sister all day with breaks for reading and playing piano

and for a mom who:

-- needs things open-and-go with a clear plan

-- has two toddlers, one of whom does not nap

-- works part-time

What is my best plan for LA, science, history, literature, art, foreign language?

If I can figure out all the individual components, I'm going to plug it all in to a document and make my own guide for the year, sort of a customized all-in-one program. But I need to make decisions on the components.

Any ideas?

I'm just learning to schedule - we're doing a K/1 mix for my 4.5yo. I did an excel chart of all the things we're covering, and then wrote up 6 weeks first to see how it goes as we gradually added more in. At the end of that 6 weeks I planned out 3 months, and at the end of that we'll be doing more 1st than K.

Now, I just had to re-do the math schedule today because my first one wasn't fast enough and he's getting bored. I've had to do that with FLL1 too. He's going to fly through that book. I think I'm going to stick with planning small chunks, for the time being, because then if I need to go back and re-do my schedule it's not so much work as it would be if I'd guessed on the whole year. We're planning on working with 6 weeks on 1 week off year round at this point, so in that week off I can plan out a few more weeks. That way, I can keep adjusting it to where he's at and how he's moving now, and not have to try to guess what it's going to be months and months from now.

I think sequential spelling would be a better spelling program for you. You described my oldest son very well. We ended up getting the adult version of SS for him simply because it was cheaper to get the condensed version (includes about the first 5 books or so for only $20 rather than $10 each, knowing we'd breeze through most of it). The adult version builds faster than the child version, so he really enjoyed that a lot. You can do as much or as little repetition as necessary, and then later pick up the child books for 6 and 7 to get all the odd, rule-breaking, or foreign words that even a good speller wouldn't be able to sound out.

SSL is supposed to be coming out with a 2nd volume soon, too. You can join CAP's facebook page to inquire about that.

Your DD would probably enjoy Minimus-it's a reading approach to Latin, where you have sort of a little comic about a family in Roman Briton, then a few activities. My DD enjoys it. I can't say it teaches much Latin, but it's a good way to keep it going while you wait for SSL2 or for you to be ready to start a more formal program. There are two books. The only problem you may face with a child who loves reading is that it's very easy for a child to sit down and simply read the books, and then want to know what's next. I've also found LfC very open and go, and my good reader who loves Latin hasn't had trouble with it.

For science, I've gone to using Evan Moor daily Science as a spine, and then working from there. I know it's workbooky, but otherwise, it didn't get done. What I've done is print out the table of contents from several grade levels, and let DD pick what theme she wants next, and then use my Teacher File Box subscription and the library to work from there. Once I've got a unit printed, it's open and go for the next day for me, and DD can read books on her own-and all I need to do is to make sure that she has whatever supplies she needs for experiments.

You've heard of writer's block? I have curriculum planning block. I need help from people who won't just give a breezy "Oh, it's just first grade. Relax."

I never found this to be helpful when I would ask about my dd and doing school, except it was, "She is only ____ just let her play":glare:

For history, do you have any plans such as following a 4 yr cycle, doing US history, geography, or world cultures? This would help with getting suggestions on what to do.

I think I'm going to stick with planning small chunks, for the time being, because then if I need to go back and re-do my schedule it's not so much work as it would be if I'd guessed on the whole year. We're planning on working with 6 weeks on 1 week off year round at this point, so in that week off I can plan out a few more weeks. That way, I can keep adjusting it to where he's at and how he's moving now, and not have to try to guess what it's going to be months and months from now.

You have a point about that. The reason I'm going to try and plan at least a semester is that I want to force myself to make school more well-rounded this year. Keep the math lessons shorter and make sure science gets done, for example.

Your DD would probably enjoy Minimus-it's a reading approach to Latin, where you have sort of a little comic about a family in Roman Briton, then a few activities. My DD enjoys it. I can't say it teaches much Latin, but it's a good way to keep it going while you wait for SSL2 or for you to be ready to start a more formal program. There are two books. The only problem you may face with a child who loves reading is that it's very easy for a child to sit down and simply read the books, and then want to know what's next. I've also found LfC very open and go, and my good reader who loves Latin hasn't had trouble with it.

For science, I've gone to using Evan Moor daily Science as a spine, and then working from there. I know it's workbooky, but otherwise, it didn't get done. What I've done is print out the table of contents from several grade levels, and let DD pick what theme she wants next, and then use my Teacher File Box subscription and the library to work from there. Once I've got a unit printed, it's open and go for the next day for me, and DD can read books on her own-and all I need to do is to make sure that she has whatever supplies she needs for experiments.

Hi, I was hoping you'd reply! Your daughter reminds me a lot of mine. Minimus sounds interesting. That might be a good plan post-SSL. I'll have to check out Evan Moor Science. I have BFSU, and I love the concept. It's just the planning that gets to me.

How is MCT working out for your daughter? I've been studying that as well. I think my dd could handle Grammar Island pretty well, but some of the other Island-level books seem rather intense for a 6-year-old (the vocabulary and poetry books in particular). Of course, accelerated kids change so fast that 6 months from now she might be completely ready, but that's an expensive investment to make on a "maybe."

I never found this to be helpful when I would ask about my dd and doing school, except it was, "She is only ____ just let her play":glare:

For history, do you have any plans such as following a 4 yr cycle, doing US history, geography, or world cultures? This would help with getting suggestions on what to do.

I can't decide! That's my problem. I thought I was totally sold on Ambleside Online, but I like the 4-year history cycle. But then I also am concerned about dd being totally ignorant of US History. I actually studied the Heart of Dakota catalog for a bit, but I've decided that it wouldn't be a good fit because of dd's acceleration and because the theology doesn't match up with ours.

As I said before, dd has already read through SOTW 1 & 2, and she's pestering me to buy book 3. This morning, after a good night's sleep, I'm leaning toward following my original Ambleside plan, while letting her read through SOTW on her own and giving her some fun living books from American history for free reading.

I also use an excel spreadsheet to help with planning. These are some of the things that we've used, I don't know if that will help you or not:

For spelling, I use AAS for my ds who has great trouble with spelling. For my natural speller, I use Spelling Power. It's quick, and it focuses on words he doesn't know.

We use a 4-year history plan with SOTW as the spine. I've found that both of my dc have acquired quite a lot of American History, without having formally studied it. They've read quite a few books on the subject, and we've visited lots of historic sites.

Honestly, I didn't start a formal science program for my older ds until 5th grade, and the younger hasn't started an official curriculum yet. We mostly got lots of library books on topics that interested them (or that I thought would interest them). We watched lots of sciency videos, like Magic School Bus, Nova, Nature, etc. We went to lots of science museums/zoos/aquariums, etc. Oh, and they had lots of science related toys/projects, like raising butterflies, snap circuits, etc.

But the first problem is figuring out what "the best" is. It needs to be something challenging. The second problem is finding the compromise between "the best" and "what I can handle without neglecting my other children."

So, for a 6-year-old who:

-- can read just about anything

-- is a natural speller who needs a spelling program to give her confidence

-- understands concepts quite easily

-- is good at memorizing, but will forget what is memorized without frequent review

-- left to herself would play dolls with her sister all day with breaks for reading and playing piano

and for a mom who:

-- needs things open-and-go with a clear plan

-- has two toddlers, one of whom does not nap

-- works part-time

What is my best plan for LA, science, history, literature, art, foreign language?

My first, at 6, was like your describe your dd: a strong reader and a natural speller. He was a self-directed learner and covered a lot of academic ground on his own.

Science: he watched videos, took a class or two, and read a LOT. He used Usborne books from Sonlight's science curriculum, lots of library non-fiction, and the level one textbooks from Real Science 4 Kids (he happily read those on his own). We covered a lot of ground with science this way, even though I felt like it was mostly done without my direct involvement. Another mom (who also had littles) gathered a small group and we got together for once a week science experiments. We'd take turns each week: one mom would host (her house), another would bring the snack (so the mom who had to clean didn't have to do food prep), a third would prep the lesson and direct the kids, and a fourth would take the younger sibs to another room to keep them away from all the materials/tools. This was a GREAT thing! Most of us agreed that we'd probably never actually GET to the science experiments if left to our own (and needing to do it during the littles' naps for sanity reasons).

If you like your LA materials this year you could just do the next level. Ditto for Latin.

We used Sonlight for literature and history. I added in Story of the World and its activity book and LOTS of library books. (Ds was a history buff.) We did the rabbit trail thing on a regular basis.

I like Meet the Masters for art. It's a combo of famous artist studies, art appreciation, various skills, and hands-on "make your own in the style of" and TOTALLY open and go. I love it!

Honestly, I can't tell you what your best plan would be. I know what I did with my oldest. My second is a very different animal with very different strengths. My third learns a lot like my oldest. He's 5, but not yet K age according to our state. He's already devouring printed material and collecting information. Not sure what I'm going to do with him for LA next year. I've used Sonlight LA (adapted) with my oldest two, but I'm thinking that I'd like to try something new. So, I'll be watching your thread here for inspiration.

Well....it is just 1st grade...but that is easy for me to say now that I'm at the other end of the journey!!;)

The one helpful suggestion I have is to break things down into 2 separate kinds of curricula. One kind is your open and go math, Latin and language arts where each school day you just do the next thing. The other kind is more loosely planned, such as a list of books and videos for history, science and just for fun, books that are either read alouds or independent readers. I would have a list for the year but also pick up lots of titles at the library each week, and from those books I'd find projects, or pick out copy work or narrations. I'd put the list together over the summer and it would keep us more less on a planned attack of history and science. I'd also return to that list after we'd spent some time following rabbit trails. The list also also makes mid-year short range planning nice and easy -- you can just look at it when you have a few minutes, check the on-line library catalog, reserve a few things, then voila, you have a plan for the next few weeks!

This is, in essence, how I homeschooled all the way through high school.

I'm sorry I can't recommend any LA programs as there is so much more now than there was back in my day. Singapore at least has remained a popular standard!!

We did a simple year for first grade:

LA: HWT 1 (she lost a lot of ground over the summer; not making that mistake again)

WWE 1: She enjoys it but it really is too easy for her.

AAS 2: Again, pretty easy, but she does well with things that are easy for her. I plan to continue through the whole series. I'll use it with my other kids so we'll get plenty of use out of it.

Math: Right Start B & Singapore Math 1A and 1B

Latin: Song School Latin

Spanish: La Clase Divertida I

Other than those things, we've done outside classes and she also spends lots of time outside, playing with her siblings, reading, doing crafts, and writing/drawing. We're going to do science and history (I think, or geography) more formally next year.

It sounds like your dd might do well with a lot of the things we have planned for next year:

LA: Learn cursive this spring or summer.

AAS: Just continue. She's doing a step a day now whenever we do spelling. We keep busy with classes, playgroups, and family visits, so some weeks we get through 5 steps and others none or one.

Classical Writing Primers: This might be a little easy for her, but I think she'll enjoy it and I don't want to push her and have her drown in a higher level.

I'm not sure if we'll do a separate grammar program. I'd like to wait until 3rd grade for MCT Grammar Island.

History (or geography): We'll probably do SOTW 1 and Connecting With History 1. I'm also considering doing world geography, but dd says she wants to do history.

Science: We'll probably study earth science (minus astronomy, which she's studying in a co-op class right now) for the first part of the year and do Apologia Botany in spring and summer.

Art: Artistic Pursuits: She loves art!

Latin: Minimus and Prima Latina

Spanish: La Clase Divertida II

Literature: This will be tied to history (or geography) as well as other books that I chose from various lists.

The one helpful suggestion I have is to break things down into 2 separate kinds of curricula. One kind is your open and go math, Latin and language arts where each school day you just do the next thing. The other kind is more loosely planned, such as a list of books and videos for history, science and just for fun, books that are either read alouds or independent readers.

I agree with this suggestion.

I have 2 lists also: one for LA, math,foreign languages, science, PhE(she skates on a regular basis) and the other is for history, music, art etc. My daughter also very often does several day work for LA, foreign language or math, so I am moving things around her interests all the time.

As a LA suggestions:

My daughter loved Wordly Wise books. We discovered them on one of the shelves in our basement(somebody gave them to us). She did books A-C and had a lot of fun with new words.

You may also try IEW spelling program " Phonetic Zoo" It doesn't require any teacher involvement. A child listen to the audio CD and trying to spell words, dictated to him.

Science: Apologia Elementary Science books or study a particular topic. Last summer we studied "Rainforest", made three Lap-n-Note books. Even my 3 years old son was interested to participate. We are going to study Botany and kids are ready to "grow" their own pineapple as a continuation of our last year study:)

History: We love Mystery of History. Last year we did "Junior History Portfolios" ( Ancient History Portfolio and Medieval) by Barbara Shukin. My daughter enjoyed them a lot. We did a beginner level which is targeted to 5-8 years old.

Edited by SneguochkaL