Menu

Singapore Question

carrie_irene

Probably dumb, but....:001_huh:

What is the difference between the standards edition and the US edition? Pluses and minuses of each?

I used it very little with DS this year along with Saxon1 and want to implement both next year. We are nearly done with 1A. (I ended up with the US edition). He is VERY mathy (gets it from me and DH both), so I really want both approaches. He loves them both and would do math all day. I will do 1B over summer and start level 2 in the fall.

So US or Standard??

Thanks!:bigear:

The Standards Ed. integrates more review and has changed the introduction of certain subjects to align with the California ed. requirements. They adamently state that it is not "dumbed" down from the US edition (per the Singapore Math website). It has a slightly different look and fewer Asian names/pictures along with the above. We used the original EB and then changed to Standards for 1A-2B. I prefer the look of it to US and have been very pleased.

You can find more information here (maybe you already looked here?)

www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm

Primary Mathematics US Edition is an adaptation of the Third Edition for use in the US. It is almost identical to the Third Edition but has a few added sections for US customary measurement. It uses US spelling and conventions. The same guide is used for both, and it is possible with minor adjustments to use the US Edition workbook with the Third Edition textbook, except for 6B, if desired.* We will continue to carry the US Edition indefinitely.

Primary Mathematics Standards Edition is an adaptation of Primary Mathematics to meet the Mathematics Contents Standards for California Public Schools, adopted by the California State Board of Education in 1997 for grades 1-5 as one of the approved textbooks. It is similar to the US Edition but has some rearrangement of topics and some added units, primarily in probability and data analysis, negative numbers, and coordinate graphing.*The Standards Edition components are not interchangeable with the US or Third Edition components.

Hi,

I have been through lots of math programs....ugh. I know mental Asian math is the "best" but.....MM brings out her anger like you wouldn't believe. She absolutely hates MUS blocks. Same thing with c-rods and RS with the alabacus. We have had the most success with SM but lately I have had to use manipulatives and I want to pull out my hair! She shuts down fast when she sees manipulatives come out. Glazed over... rolling eyes and complaining make me wanna just :cursing::banghead::cursing: I have stopped and covered review topics for a month so that we could have some peace. Things won't always be fun but Wow! I think she would burn our manipulatives if she had half a chance! I have been thinking about changing yet again to teaching textbooks to see if the videos can do a better job than I am.

Any suggestions? I feel like I would be somehow cheating her out of a good education if I don't use an "Asian Math."

Penny