Menu

To Silas Marner, or not to Silas Marner...

So how important is this book? Right now my oldest is working through Omnibus IV which has a hefty reading schedule and she's doing Classical Writing Plutarch which also has recommended reading. Often the CW reading list will contain books that are also sometime during the years of Omnibus so I just look at our schedule and decide when it we'll do it so not to overload her. (the CW reading list isn't integral to the writing lessons). Up until now, when CW has had a book that isn't in Omnibus, the timing has been such that it hasn't been that big of a deal to add the CW book. But right now she's a bit busy and Silas Marner is next in CW. It doesn't appear to be in the Omnibus series. Is this important enough to pile more work on her? I know she can handle it, but I want to make sure it's worth adding extra to her plate.

Thoughts?

Heather

I loved Silas Marner. So many wonderful lessons, so beautifully written. My 16 yo daughter will read it this coming year. I want her to see how this man persevered over great odds, how he loved this little girl he took in, and how she loved him back, never forsaking him or giving him up for a 'better' life. And also how our early choices affect us throughout our lives. Truly inspiring.

I read this aloud to my kids. It's not what I would consider a *must read*, but was certainly enjoyable with a great theme. It would be really nice to sandwich between some of the modern novels of ugliness. :D If she's pressed, maybe you could keep it as a possibility for summer reading, Easter break, etc.

Lisa

I loved Silas Marner. So many wonderful lessons, so beautifully written. My 16 yo daughter will read it this coming year. I want her to see how this man persevered over great odds, how he loved this little girl he took in, and how she loved him back, never forsaking him or giving him up for a 'better' life. And also how our early choices affect us throughout our lives. Truly inspiring.

:iagree: My 16yo will also read it within the next year or so. I absolutely LOVED this book when I read it in high school.

One of my favorites when I was in high school, too.