Menu

Another Waldorf question

happyWImom

Well, here I go again! I really think it would benefit my dc, especially my dd who has anxiety issues, to go to a more Waldorf type of school. Tried it before, didn't really stick to it. Here are some questions for you "seasoned" Waldorf ladies.

I like certain aspects of a lot of the different Waldorf curriculum (which is why I put out a WTB for a bunch!) but am wondering if it will be too much, or too confusing to try & do the combining? For instance, I have OM 4, and I really like the looks of it, but think it might be a little too much for my ds (7, but excellent reader & very bright). I was going to do it with both, but give ds less writing. Or, do I do OM 4 with dd, OM 3 with ds? Christopherus looks good to me too, especially their OT Stories, and I am also intrigued by the Spritual Syllabus books. Am I crazy to try & pick and choose what I like from each?

Before I thought of doing (trying) an actual Waldorf curriculum again, my plan was to just add in a bunch more nature studies, books about animals, Waldorf recommended books, and maybe the Little Acorn after school guides to say, my SL curriculum for next year.

I know no one can make the decision for me (wish you could), but I would appreciate hearing anyone else's experiences with this.

Thanks!

-BTW, I realize OM isn't really considered a "true" Waldorf curriculum

I don't think it's crazy to pick and choose. I have done that with both of my kids. My youngest is much more into the Waldorf style than my oldest.

I tend to do other things for math and science because except for geometry I am not as into the Waldorf method for those things. Oh and history too. I am kind of like waldorf on steroids:001_smile:

I have been doing OM2 with my first grader. Glad to see another Waldorf "heretic". Pure waldorfians would never accelerate through the curriculum. I also do WAY more math and reading than a true Waldorf person would do with a first grader. But there are some things about Waldorf that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't think you are crazy either :) We do the same thing with picking and choosing from all that you have mentioned plus some. My oldest is in 5th now and we are starting chemistry from the 7th grade spiritual syllabus. I just like how it is all tied to history and the depth is not too much, yet just enough for us. My 3rd and 4th graders will join in. The beauty of homeschool is that you CAN pick and choose and you do not have to follow just one persons ideal path. Good luck on your journey :)

PS. I have a lot of the books you are wanting to buy, ;) but I am not ready to part with them... I will be glad to answer questions for you though!

I don't think you are crazy either :) We do the same thing with picking and choosing from all that you have mentioned plus some. My oldest is in 5th now and we are starting chemistry from the 7th grade spiritual syllabus. I just like how it is all tied to history and the depth is not too much, yet just enough for us. My 3rd and 4th graders will join in. The beauty of homeschool is that you CAN pick and choose and you do not have to follow just one persons ideal path. Good luck on your journey :)

PS. I have a lot of the books you are wanting to buy, ;) but I am not ready to part with them... I will be glad to answer questions for you though!

Oh, darn! All the responses I've gotten so far have been for things I already have. Maybe that's a sign.:D

I don't think you're crazy. :)

Personally, I didn't love OM, so I prefer to use other Waldorf-y resources for the Waldorf aspects of our curriculum.

I like Christopherus a lot, but once we stopped using a full Waldorf curriculum, it is too expensive for just a general yearly outline. I do like the things you can buy separately though, like form drawing, Old Testament....

I really like Little Acorn Learning for younger kids- it is a GREAT resource for seasonal stories, finger plays, crafts, etc.

Hope that helps! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one trying to combine Waldorf and Classical education!

I pick and choose as well! I've really found that I can piece together my own main lesson blocks just poking around on the internet and using a basic Waldorf curriculum guide. This has the added bonus of letting me feel connected to the lesson because I'm the one who created it and I can also tailor it for each child and our particular situation.

I like the idea of picking and choosing, but it didn't work well for me this year. I think part of the problem was simply that we were too busy in the fall and I needed to pull school together or we wouldn't have gotten much of anything done. I was trying to do OM 1-2 with one ds and OM 3 with the other, plus adding in some Ambleside. Sheesh. Made myself nuts and I was just overwhelmed. I'm sure it can work, but I just wanted to add my experience here too. Have you looked at Live Education? I love their books.

I like the idea of picking and choosing, but it didn't work well for me this year. I think part of the problem was simply that we were too busy in the fall and I needed to pull school together or we wouldn't have gotten much of anything done. I was trying to do OM 1-2 with one ds and OM 3 with the other, plus adding in some Ambleside. Sheesh. Made myself nuts and I was just overwhelmed. I'm sure it can work, but I just wanted to add my experience here too. Have you looked at Live Education? I love their books.

I have looked at Live Education a lot, but I've always been afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it! Please tell me specifically what you've used of theirs and how you've used them. Was it difficult?

We do a lot of unit studies (at least everything ends up like a unit study!), so the main lesson block idea appeals to me. I just hope I'm up to the task of actually putting a whole year together. I do have my SL 1&2 waiting in the wings-just in case.:D

Until now, I have not used their books for more than inspiration. Well, that is not entirely true. I used their book on the alphabet a little. Other than that, I look, drool, and incorporate the spirit of their lessons and add a tidbit here or there. I think I would really like to use their math approach for grade 3 and 4.