Menu

Holy Cheap Printer, Batman!

meggie

I am so excited!!! We got a Brother HL-2240 at Office Depot for $60!!!! Thanks, everyone, for recommending laser printers instead of inkjet, I had no idea they were so much cheaper for printing things; we've always only ever had inkjet :glare:. I think it's a conspiracy.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a nationwide thing or only something my local store was doing, but it wouldn't hurt to go check and see.

Glad it could help someone.

ooooo, also, on our receipt, they printed a coupon for $10 a $50 purchase if you do a survey. So we're going to do the survey, then go buy the $45 replacement toner and $5 of something else! Hopefully you guys can get that too *knock on wood*

Most laserjet printers, for black copies, will print around 2 to 4 cents a page. :)

Now, take an Elemental Science Biology Logic Stage print job of 504 pages and that equals $15ish .... Color can be anywhere from 4.5 to 7 cents still. Look up the print per page specs for the printer's toner cartridge that you have in mind. Take the number of sheets and divide into the cost of a toner cartridge.

My HP 1022 prints around 2000 pages per cartridge. It costs around $65. So, a 25-dollar download, plus $15-dollar print job, and combs ... not a bad deal for six units of science. :D

Just let me add that I alter the color settings and quality. I will have a cartridge last a little over six months, LOL

Well, our old inkjet had black ink cartridges for $20 (we got that printer bc the cartridges were cheaper than our previous printer's cartridges, which were about $40 for the black ink). On the box for those cartridges it says you can print about 200 pages, which in my opinion is a gross overestimate (hence the conspiracy comment). So about 10 cents a page, the same as the library.

The toner cartridge says it can do about 12000+ pages and costs $45, so about 3.75 cents a page. Plus, someone said you can get them for $30 on Amazon, about 2.5 cents a page (if I'm moving my decimal over the right number of spaces, I'm too tired to think clearly). And I don't know if it was this printer or a different one, but someone on Amazon said that they put a piece of black electrical tape over part of the cartridge and they got even more pages out of it.

Here's the link, it's not the same printer, but the same brand and I don't know if they have the same method of checking the toner, but it's a helpful hint nonetheless.

Thanks for the info. We are starting to purchase books that we can download and print out and it is really getting expensive. Has anyone had experience with the Kodak printer that is supposed to have much cheaper ink??

Michelle:lol:

I wouldn't recommend it. We bought one last year and it only lasted about 5-6 months before it broke.

I have a Canon i960 printer and I LOVE it b/c it prints well AND the cartridges are about a buck each on ebay! Also instead of only 2 cartridges, there are 6 (one for each color) so when a color is empty, I only have to replace that 1 color, not all of them. Prints great photos too. Now I print just about anything the kids want to b/c it's SOOOOOOOOOOO inexpensive, it's *almost* free. LOL! At $6 to refill ALL the cartridges, i think i can afford to print anything! LOL!

Follow the instruction in this link :

http://www.southernsavers.com/2011/03/brother-laser-printer-for-50-shipped/

I love my Brother laser printer and my first standard toner lasted me about 2 years (with tons of coupon printing and for school). I did the "masking" tape trick after my printer stopped printing thinking that the toner was empty and it worked. I was able to print for another 6 months before the toner ran out.

In January I ordered a remanufactured high yield toner from Amazon called Amazon Basics (guaranteed for 1 year by Amazon) and it cost me about $25.00. My old standard toner allowed me to print over around 5,000 sheets with the masking tape trick. The high yield toner supposed to be 50% more than the standard one ;0)

Overall, I saved a lot of money with a laser printer and highly recommend it to anyone!

Julia

I'm so glad to see this thread! My printer (Samsung 300 SLP) has started acting funny in the past week. It won't pick up the paper properly but instead stops short of grabbing it and tells me there's a paper jam. I can make it work if I hand-feed the paper to it, but 50% of the time that creates a REAL paper jam. The last time we went through this, the printer was (literally) one day from being out of warranty. Customer service and repairs took forever -- it turned out that "something was slightly out of adjustment." No kidding. :D Anyway, it is well out of warranty now, and I was dreading having to hunt around for and buy a new one. But I can definitely live with this price!

The Samsung eats ink/toner like there's no tomorrow. I'm not going to miss that.

The toner cartridge says it can do about 12000+ pages and costs $45, so about 3.75 cents a page. Plus, someone said you can get them for $30 on Amazon, about 2.5 cents a page (if I'm moving my decimal over the right number of spaces, I'm too tired to think clearly). And I don't know if it was this printer or a different one, but someone on Amazon said that they put a piece of black electrical tape over part of the cartridge and they got even more pages out of it.

Here's the link, it's not the same printer, but the same brand and I don't know if they have the same method of checking the toner, but it's a helpful hint nonetheless.

Yes, we have a Brother (probably the same one, but I can't think clearly this late) and the black electrical tape works. In fact, I couldn't find any in the house when I needed it, so I just taped little squares of black contruction paper over those little windows. Works just the same.

I'm on my second ink cartridge for my Brother laser printer. I know I printed at least 4 reams of paper on the last cartridge. It may have been as many as 6 reams, but I didn't keep careful count. All I know is that cartridge lasted forever!! VERY worth it!