Menu

I need your input!!!

I am putting together a geography curriculum for my kids. Would you please give me some ideas of books about or set in your state? It doesn't have to be a classic and fiction is fine, too. For example, I found a romance novel for my dd that is set in Texas and has a ton of info about the Alamo. The bodice ripper authors do extensive research! I'm also going to do some Hank the Cowdog. I'm trying to keep it light because they are doing so much required reading. Anyway, you're help would be greatly appreciated.

There are always the Holling C. Holling books, which can definitely be enjoyed by your entire age span. Have you read these? Pagoo, Minn of the Mississippi, Paddle to the Sea, Tree in the Trail, Seabird.

I'm from New England, and have a small collection of the "Sea to Shining Sea" series (NH, Maine, Mass). These are more about state history, but there is some general state geography as well. :)

I am putting together a geography curriculum for my kids. Would you please give me some ideas of books about or set in your state? It doesn't have to be a classic and fiction is fine, too. For example, I found a romance novel for my dd that is set in Texas and has a ton of info about the Alamo. The bodice ripper authors do extensive research! I'm also going to do some Hank the Cowdog. I'm trying to keep it light because they are doing so much required reading. Anyway, you're help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out Gallopade.com. They have tons of good resources for state history, including many books (I think they're fiction) written by Carole Marsh. I've used some Gallopade stuff and it's really good! I also like "Our 50 States: A Family Adventure Across America" by Lynne Cheney and illustrated beautifully by Robin Preiss Glasser. Neat! We're happily using the Star-Spangled State book and workbook this year for state history studies. We love it! I ordered it from KnowledgeQuestMaps.com. I have more geography resources at my blog. HTH!

Here are a few fiction titles with a fun NYC setting -

All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

From the Mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

And here is a *teen* title that your older dd might like -

Remember Me to Harold Square by Paula Danziger

I am trying to think of a few books that are more about upstate NY....I'll ask my crew when they wake up!

HTH.