Menu

Setting Goals for the Year

Greta

The thread about teacher notebooks got me thinking about goal setting. This is an area where I am sorely lacking. Would anyone care to share their goals with me so that I could get a feel for how you do this? How specific are you? Do you feel that having concrete written goals really helps you stay motivated? I mean, obviously I have some general goals in mind. I'm wondering if/how I would benefit from putting them into words.

Thanks!

I sat down and made a list of objectives for each child for each subject. It's the first time I've ever written anything down or chosen our curriculum based on each our goals. I've always based our goals on our curriculum.

The biggest benefit I can tell so far is that I don't feel like I'll be a slave to the curriculum. I feel like for the first time in our hs journey I'll be able to use TMs, etc as a guide not a god. Because I don't feel pressured to use things perfectly I think I'll be less likely to hop around. I can look at what other people are doing and feel happy that it's working for them but not feel compelled to do it myself.

Keep in mind though I haven't yet implemented anything. I THINK objectives will help but I'm not in the mix yet. My dc began ps in Jan and we don't start hsing again until July so I've had some time to breathe and get excited.

I'm very specific with our goals, and I like them written down. I have an overall goal and a key verse for our homeschool. I also make specific homeschool goals for each year. We plan to graduate all 3 boys, so I start with our long-term homeschool goals because I like to see where we are going; then I break those goals down by boy by subject.

For example, my mathy first born son has already indicated that he would like to take Calculus in high school. That's where I want to end up with him so I back track from that point to where we are now; in order for him to reach Calculus, he needs to take Algebra no later than 8th grade. My non-mathy middle son has not indicated any such desire to take Calculus in high school. His goal is to complete math each day so that he can go and play Legos. He's good at math, but it's not his strength. I'll plan for him to start pre-algebra in 8th grade with a note to reassess his ability and make sure that algebra is not a better match for his current level of maturity and academics.

Once I know what I want to do, I then start my search for the best curriculum to make that happen. Right now I'm looking at math books to determine the upper level math sequence I would like for my boys to take. I know that new products come out and things do change; however, if I do my research now, I have a better understanding of whether or not a new program will be a better fit. Generally, I like to go with the older programs that have a proven track record anyway...but that's just me.

This is a quick overview of my thinking process as I move through our homeschool journey. I hope that something I've said is helpful and will enhance your own process of goal-setting.

I sat down and did my goals yesterday, just to get something on paper that explained where I wanted to be at the end of next year, taking into account what I think that she is capable of. Some of them are a reach, some of them will be easy to reach. I'll cut and paste them to give you an idea. There are other's involving character and listening, but these are the ones related to homeschool stuff. Hope it helps!

Math

•Complete Singapore PM 2A & 2B along with corresponding sections in Miquon Math

•Solidify concepts of addition, subtraction, money, time, length and weight.

•Work on the concepts of multiplication, division and fractions

•Have student memorize basic additions and subtraction facts by the end of the year

English

Spelling:

•Have student learn the basic phonograms

•Have student learn how phonograms apply to spelling

Vocabulary:

•Increase students understanding of words and her usage of them

•Have student learn how to alphabetize

Grammar:

•Complete 1st grade section of First Language lessons

•Have student understand basic types of speech and punctuation

Writing:

•Have student become proficient at Copywork (mechanics of writing)

•Have student learn the basics of narration (organization of thoughts)

•Have student create a portfolio of her own work consisting of journal entries, letters and summaries of Read-Alouds

Reading:

•Have student reading on a third grade level by the end of the year

•Have student read at least one full book a week

•Have student demonstrate comprehension of reading by creating a book review

Language Acuity:

•Complete the Read-Alouds from Sonlight’s Core 1

•Have student demonstrate comprehension of the stories through answering questions and dictating summaries

Science: Biology for the Grammar Stage (animals, human body, plants)

•Have student demonstrate understanding of reading by dictating a short summary.

•Have student complete all experiments and corresponding sheets

•Have student complete the ongoing projects

History: Ancient World History

•Complete assigned reading in Story of the World and Sonlight Core 1

•Have student keep a record of what they have learned through narrations, book reviews and project sheets

Electives

Art:

•Have Student understand the basic elements of art

Music:

•Have student increase their knowledge of composers and their music

PE:

•Have student maintain physical fitness

Bible:

•Have student gain a better understanding of the Bible and the principles in it

•Have student memorize the A to Z verses

I read about grade level standards and create our own for each subject, mostly using The Educated Child by William Bennett and Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp with an eye on what Ruth Beechick says as well. I don't have all the goals for our upcoming year done but here's what I have for poetry.

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/04/poetry-memorization-3rd-grade.html

I also look at our curriculum for objectives and compare what they have to the resources I listed above. Here's what I use for each subject:

Explorer's Bible Study- I use their objectives but have an objective for character training for the year, for 3rd that is self-discipline, responsibility, self-motivation and trustworthiness which I will highlight through our reading whenever possible.

Horizons Math- built in objectives but we also read literary math books that correlate to our math studies and look for opportunities to optimize math in life situations.

LA objectives come from the sources I listed above plus the curricula we use.

Science- to use all our senses to explore what we're studying, there are particular objectives I have for each subject we study.

and it goes on...

In the past, I guess I didn't really have goals. But I have found that these past 2 years, I have set goals. It works well! I guess being new to homeschooling, I did not know what goals to set.

They are simple. I select what curriculum must be done, books read, etc, and that is the goal. I also require X number of outside activities...broken down by type. This year it was 1 must be physical, 1 can be artsy orr physical and then 1 more. So my daughter does Swordsmanship, Tennis, and voice lessons.

Sometimes, the goals have been altered when it ended up being too much, or we just did not get it done (perhaps I had expected too much or circumstances prevented it from getting done). My children know if they do not finish their work, then they will work until it is donee, even if that means this school year lasts until after the next one starts. We generally start the new year in the summer. We are just now finishing up this past year. I still think we will be done by the end of this month. DD slacked a little bit.

In my job, I help families write out their homeschooling goals and one thing I always try to remind them is that a goal should be what you want them to learn and not what you want them to do. For example, "finish the Saxon book" is not as helpful a goal as "understand and work with fractions in different settings and applications". A child can finish something without learning a thing (I think we have probably all done that at some point). So, the challenge is to think about what we want them to learn, and then providing curriculum that gets them there.

I tend to stick fairly close to the main goals of WTM, with a few of my own thrown in. I like to start with goals before I choose curriculum, some of them long term goals (I want my kids to really understand the flow of history and to go through the 4 year cycle 4 times) and some with short term goals (I want my kids to have all the capitals memorized). Once I have those goals set in my mind (like a road map) I can see which curriculum helps them get there.

In my job, I help families write out their homeschooling goals and one thing I always try to remind them is that a goal should be what you want them to learn and not what you want them to do. For example, "finish the Saxon book" is not as helpful a goal as "understand and work with fractions in different settings and applications". A child can finish something without learning a thing (I think we have probably all done that at some point). So, the challenge is to think about what we want them to learn, and then providing curriculum that gets them there.

That's my recommendation as well. I plan out very specific objectives to help me evaluate whether or not we are meeting desired outcomes.

For example, correct spelling transferring into written work was a goal for my 6th grader. He is still misspelling 100s of words; however, the words we have been working on during the yr are being spelled correctly. We are meeting a realistic goal.

and for subjects that I have a broad, over-arching pre-knowledge of, that's great. (Unfortunately, that would be... music.)

I don't have years of hs'ing, but this year has been a *great* year thanks to momof7's wonderful how-to-plan threads last year! And, other than history and science, my goals were more along the lines of, "Master the concepts in (insert textbook)."

There was one textbook which simply wasn't helping my child master the concepts they were teaching, so I switched. But, I simply don't have time to re-invent the wheel and write my own curriculum. And so, since I have average kids, I try to choose something that maybe isn't the hardest, but isn't continually dumped on for being too lax - kind of average like them.

I do get what you're saying, I think. I do hold them to mastering the curriculum I choose. It isn't enough for me to give my dc the book and say, "Do this." (And, I know someone IRL who very much accepts that as ok.) NO - I am there teaching; ensuring that the information isn't being read without comprehension and that it has reached a place where it can be recalled when needed.

:)

Rhonda

ETA: I do have some long-term goals, I guess. But mostly, they aren't "mine" - I borrowed them from WTM. =)

I want to thank EVERYONE for the replies in this thread. This has helped me so much. I feel we're really on track with Math and Science, but I've been stressing lately about my dd's reading and language arts skills. So last night I took a good look at where we're at, and what I want to accomplish with her in the next year. Your guidance helped tremendously. I feel so much more centered and focused -- and now I have a plan rather than just a nagging worry. It's wonderful!!!

Yesterday I opened up my word document with my goals for this year. I'll paste it here:

Goals for Homeschooling in 2007-2008

“Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead me in a smooth path,

because of my enemies.â€

Psalm 27:11

“For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.†2 Corinthians 1:12

Prayer: Lord, may this be my attitude towards my children as I school them unto You!

GENERAL

Slower, peaceful schedule.

Biblical incorporation.

More consistent quiet times and scripture memorization for me.

JARED - 4th grade

Simplify.

Stronger math understanding - Reasonable, repetitive, clear, easy to use, explains concepts well, traditional scope and sequence, video, dvd or computer teaching.

Improved spelling and writing to include dictation and copy work.

Improved vocabulary and reading comprehension.

KARRY - Kindergarten

Solid Reading Foundation, 3 letter words, lots of writing practice, copywork.

Better self-control.

Clearer speech.

Writing Legibly

As you can tell, my goals are spiritual and knowledge based. Simplicity was a keyword I carried in my mind throughout the year based on the verses (2 Cor. 1:12) God gave me in the beginning. The amazing thing is that we have met them all to at least some degree and exceeded in the reading lelvel with my K'er! I don't think I looked at the goals during the year AT ALL, but now at the end I am very encouraged that I kept on track. So goals can also be a wonderful means of encouragement. I'm now gung-ho to write my goals for this next year.

HTH!

Kisa