Menu

What kind of Music curriculum do you use?

NatYoung17

Hi!

I'm looking for some kind of music curriculum for my 6 yo. She used to go to Kindermusik and learned to read some notes, play some songs on the Glockenspiel, etc...but she's done with that & I want to do something musical at home... I would love for her to learn the piano, but that's not in the budget right now, so I'm just looking to teach her a little about classical music, etc...

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

If you still have her glockenspiel, this book might be useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0137561644/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301530627&sr=8-1-fkmr1

It's an introduction to music theory that uses mallet instruments or keyboard, and segues into piano quite well. It won't give you the music listening/literature, but you could combine it with Classical kids and/or makingmusicfun.net.

My 6 yr old will graduate Kindermusik this year, and will be continuing recorder and piano, and I plan to do a year-long study on American music history to correspond to our US history next year, listening to composers and adding them to our timeline, as well as learning a lot of American traditional music.

I think of using The Violin Book next year with my DD5. It is supposed to be good for teaching a child how to play the violin at home. Overall, it's gotten pretty good reviews.

Many people do say that it is important to have a teacher because of things like grip, stance, etc. but you could possibly work out a once a month lesson or something with a teacher to back up what's being taught at home (and check for developing issues). I have a good friend who has played violin for a long time who will be able to do that for us occasionally.

I second the recommendation for the Ready to Use Music Reading Activities Kit. I have been using it this year with my K'er and 2nd grader. I bought an electric keyboard at Costco to use with it, but you could also use it with something simpler as suggested above.

For music appreciation, we read one part of the Music chapter from Hirsch's "What Your ___-er Needs to Know" books. Then I show them something from YouTube that demonstrates what we just read (an orchestra playing, the different instruments, a piece by Mozart, patriotic music, etc). This has worked very well.

We try to do CM composer study. We're using Living Books Curriculum, year 3. This term it's ancient Greek music/Pentatonic scale and Palestrina. :glare: We did have a lot of fun watching the Bobby McFerin video on YouTube about the power of the pentatonic scale, but I can't say any of us are in raptures over the ancient Greek stuff. We're trying to listen to it though.

Palestrina isn't so bad but it's not easy to sing along, which we all like to do. I think next term we get to move on to Vivaldi which is at least pretty and soothing.

ETA: Piano lessons. Piano lessons are wonderful. We found a fabulous piano teacher, and I am THRILLED with what she is teaching the girls.

I think of using The Violin Book next year with my DD5. It is supposed to be good for teaching a child how to play the violin at home. Overall, it's gotten pretty good reviews.

Many people do say that it is important to have a teacher because of things like grip, stance, etc. but you could possibly work out a once a month lesson or something with a teacher to back up what's being taught at home (and check for developing issues). I have a good friend who has played violin for a long time who will be able to do that for us occasionally.

Though we have a teacher, the Suzuki violin books (and probably others) do have a lot of information about grip/posture etc. Just FYI. :001_smile:

My DD has weekly violin lessons. But at home we've just started learning a little about J.S. Bach (because she's learning to play one of his pieces), I downloaded 'Mr Bach comes to call' by Classical Kids - from itunes, which my children are loving, and also a $2 ebook narrative about his life to read/notebook. So I guess it's like a unit study.

I plan to continue this way, picking up composers or themes that tie in with other learning areas (history for example) and having fun with it.' I''m sure we'll end up using more from the Classical Kids series.

We also sometimes look at the classics for kids website, or simply pop on a classical music CD while resting/cleaning etc.

Though we have a teacher, the Suzuki violin books (and probably others) do have a lot of information about grip/posture etc. Just FYI. :001_smile:

Thank you! I'll have to check this out. :D I'm really hoping to be able to afford actual lessons next year, it all depends on whether I work this summer or not, but DD wants to learn violin *so* badly, so I figured it was worth a shot.