Menu

What science for next year? HELP

tabmtbc

Houston, we have a problem.

I can't decide what science for my accelerated learner for next year. She is 7th grade and qualified for Duke TIP Academy for Summer Studies. We're currently waiting to hear if she will be accepted.

Here's what science she HAS done:

NOEO Chem I and II

Sonlight Sciences K-5, beefed up with middle, high school, and college texts in certain subjects.

Rainbow Science, both years.

Her science score on the ACT was a 23, one point below what they consider to be "minimum college ready."

Yet her math is only slightly accelerated. She just started Algebra I this week. Most of the sciences she WANTS to take have Algebra I as a pre-requisite, and she doesn't like the looks of any of the others we've looked at.

I was thinking of waiting to see what Duke TIP will offer her in the fall as online courses, but if none of those options are suitable, does anyone have any ideas what to look at? She really doesn't like Apologia and she really wants to do Spectrum Chemistry from the people who made rainbow science but again, Algebra I is a required prerequisite.

Thoughts?

The Spectrum Chemistry publishers also produce a product called "Bridge Math" to facilitate the math component of chemistry. I plan to have dd work through it starting in May and over the summer before starting Spectrum Chemistry in August, even though she's completed Algebra I. Take a look at Bridge Math and see if you think she would be willing to work through it. :)

you could just delay starting the science course she wants until she finishes the algebra I. if she works through the summer at a standard pace that will set her to start the science in january. knowing she will get the science course she wants might work as incentive for her to go faster with the math.

you could just delay starting the science course she wants until she finishes the algebra I. if she works through the summer at a standard pace that will set her to start the science in january. knowing she will get the science course she wants might work as incentive for her to go faster with the math.

Well there is that.

It is something I have considered but I don't have enough data to make that decision right now.

*Math teacher is having a baby in July and might not be around for a while.

*We're waiting to hear from Duke TIP.

So I'm not sure how much she will be around to do math in the summer yet.

I'm in a similar position with DD the Elder. Originally I was going to throw some conceptual work her way: Explaining the Way Life Works, Conceptual Chemistry, Conceptual Physics. Then I thought, well, she's young, we have lots of time, what not take a reading year? I've been compiling a list in the good science/nature reads thread in this forum.

My DD was in a similar situation in 7th grade. We simply started with biology (Used Campbell/Reece Concepts and connections) which she took concurrently with algebra 1.

The following year (8th), she was ready for an algebra based college physics course.

Btw, we first tried Exploring the Way Life Works (because I heard this recommended for younger students) which did not work for my DD at all. The pictures, similes and simplified explanations drove her nuts. She much preferred the straight forward scientific explanations of Campbell/Reece.

My DD was in a similar situation in 7th grade. We simply started with biology (Used Campbell/Reece Concepts and connections) which she took concurrently with algebra 1.

The following year (8th), she was ready for an algebra based college physics course.

Btw, we first tried Exploring the Way Life Works (because I heard this recommended for younger students) which did not work for my DD at all. The pictures, similes and simplified explanations drove her nuts. She much preferred the straight forward scientific explanations of Campbell/Reece.

Could you link Campbell/Reece for me. Never heard of it, don't know where to find it.

Could you link Campbell/Reece for me. Never heard of it, don't know where to find it.

On Google. Or at Amazon.com. Just type in the name.

You get a lot of versions. This is the one we used (5th edition, much cheaper to use an old edition used than buying the current one new)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321512448/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0805366253&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S37RZWZP94GCWX274P1

Another option is Conceptual Chemistry, which is designed for liberal arts college majors, since your dd is 12. It is a great book in many ways, but doesn't have the math; this can be done later in high school if you don't mind revisiting Chem or at least doing a Chem lab with the math later. The ChemAlive! lectures correspond to the first 12 chapters of the text.

RS4K Chem II is for grades 7-9 (but I'd say more grades 7-8), although dd found that it didn't go into enough depth at times when she was 13. One of the best parts is the lab manual; dc are to design their own labs based on what his asked of them.

Another option is Conceptual Chemistry, which is designed for liberal arts college majors, since your dd is 12. It is a great book in many ways, but doesn't have the math; this can be done later in high school if you don't mind revisiting Chem or at least doing a Chem lab with the math later. The ChemAlive! lectures correspond to the first 12 chapters of the text.

RS4K Chem II is for grades 7-9 (but I'd say more grades 7-8), although dd found that it didn't go into enough depth at times when she was 13. One of the best parts is the lab manual; dc are to design their own labs based on what his asked of them.

Not enough depth in RS4K here either. She's just as science oriented as she is music oriented, but the math is where the hole is, and she doesn't really LIKE math either. She understands it, just doesn't LIKE it.

Care to link Conceptual Chemistry?

Not enough depth in RS4K here either. She's just as science oriented as she is music oriented, but the math is where the hole is, and she doesn't really LIKE math either. She understands it, just doesn't LIKE it.

Care to link Conceptual Chemistry?

The newer edition is here http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Chemistry-4th-John-Suchocki/dp/0136054536/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301664686&sr=1-2

Dd used the 3rd edition, which we bought used http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Chemistry-3rd-John-Suchocki/dp/0805382216/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301664758&sr=1-1

http://www.conceptualchemistry.com/ This is about the lectures that you can use with the text. Dd liked them.