Menu

VT Success-just 6 weeks in!

I don't know if you all remember our struggles with my almost 8 year old. Quick reminder...letter reversals, terrible handwriting (like a 5 year old), terrible spelling, behind in reading, writing, etc. You all led me to look into VT and she was diagnosed with CI and delayed Primitive reflexes. I had to change doctors b/c the other was a twerp..lol

Anyway..we are 6 weeks into the new doctor. The changes I see are amazing. She never used to wear blue jeans, socks, shoes or want her hair fixed at all, etc. Now, she willingly puts on blue jeans socks and shoes all on her own without me having to hassle her (there are just times when you HAVE to wear jeans, you know?) I can throw a pair of socks and shoes at her and she'll say OK when I tell her to put them on. WHAT? My husband and I are in awe! Yesterday, I caught her trying to put pigtails in her hair. She said "I just can't get it, can you do it?" Amazing...really.

As far as academics, she has made huge improvements in spelling and handwriting mostly. Look at a science lab she did yesterday:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d9a62Qjrab8/TY_1fThU_2I/AAAAAAAAFYM/iMjs8NH1St8/s1600/onesmallsquare.jpg

I helped her on 3 words for spelling. I know that she got a few wrong, but those are words we haven't covered in AAS yet...so I didn't expect her to know them nor did I correct them while she was writing. You can actually read what she wrote! WOW! She only has 1 number reversal and no letter reversals.

Reading...she is coming along in reading, but nothing really to yell from the rooftops with just yet. She IS reading more fluently, but still on 'frog and toad', etc. I'm not sure what to jump to next that's just a little harder but not too hard.

Anyway...I wanted to say thank you for your help and to say that if you are on the fence about VT, you should do it if you can...it's working for us!