Menu

need help finding a Bible curriculum

razorbackmama

My kids do their own study using Kay Arthur's materials for kids, but I also like to sit down all together for a few minutes each day and go through some sort of something. Right now we are using Our 24 Family Ways. We've used Bible Study Guide for All Ages in the past, but that takes longer than what I'm wanting. I'm wanting something I can use with my whole crew. Any suggestions?

My kids do their own study using Kay Arthur's materials for kids, but I also like to sit down all together for a few minutes each day and go through some sort of something. Right now we are using Our 24 Family Ways. We've used Bible Study Guide for All Ages in the past, but that takes longer than what I'm wanting. I'm wanting something I can use with my whole crew. Any suggestions?

Since you used Bible Study Guide can you tell me what you liked/disliked about it? About how long did it take you to complete each day? Did you find it thorough? Did your kids enjoy it?

I'm looking for a curriculum for Bible and don't know anyone who has used that program but it looks interesting. Thanks!

"Oh that does look good! Does it "lean" in any sort of doctrinal direction?"

(This question is about "Long Story Short."... sorry I don't know how to do quotes."

It definitely is reformed. If you are familiar with Sovereign Grace that is the church that this book came out of. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is engaging with interesting "hooks" and questions and the text instructs you to read the Bible itself. Each Old Testament Bible story has a section that shows how it points forward to Jesus.

Since you used Bible Study Guide can you tell me what you liked/disliked about it? About how long did it take you to complete each day? Did you find it thorough? Did your kids enjoy it?

I'm looking for a curriculum for Bible and don't know anyone who has used that program but it looks interesting. Thanks!

We typically would do the review questions, read the passage, answer the questions, then go through the application questions on the student pages. This took about 30-45 minutes each day. If we did the timeline, drills, and all of the stuff on the student pages, it would have taken us that amount for 2 days per lesson.

My kids liked it OK. They didn't love it, but they didn't totally despise it either.

It's EXTREMELY thorough. It has some slight doctrinal leanings (Church of Christ), but not a whole lot. It goes through almost all of the Bible.

Overall I did like it. A few things I didn't, however. Since it goes through almost all of the Bible, it goes through almost ALL of the Bible. The story of Amnon and Tamar...I didn't really enjoy having the topic of r*pe come up during our Bible time, especially since I've got littles. I know it's in the Bible, but I didn't feel like having to explain the concept. I had to do some pretty heavy on-the-fly editing so that I wasn't asked questions they were not ready to hear the answers for, KWIM? There is no warning about heavier topics like that in the curriculum either. If you don't know it's in that passage, it will surprise you.

From a practical standpoint, as you get farther along in the curriculum, you'll still need all of the units available to refer to for review questions. The review questions in the upper units refer to lessons in the lower units. It got kind of cumbersome having to dig out those previous units for the review questions. I LIKE the review questions, but it's just tedious that way.

Oh that looks good too! Do you know how long it takes everyday?

I never did actually use it (the reason I purchased it didn't ever happen), so I went with BSGFAA since my kids were only 6 and 3 at the time. However I will lay out the first week from the Foundations I guide (the OT) and you can draw your own conclusions. You could also cut out as much or as little of what it says to do so it would fit your time frame. Here's week one:

Monday--introduce memory verse, say the first five books of the Bible (working on memorizing them for youngers, reviewing them for olders), read from the Bible (Psalm 119:1-16), discuss why we study the Bible and how it helps us, olders list all the verbs used in the Bible passage read.

Tuesday--memory verse, review first five books of the Bible, read from the Bible (Genesis 1), youngers draw/color pictures to illustrate what God created each day, olders discuss the meaning of the plural pronoun "us" used in Genesis 1:26, Bible drills (this is something that I saw in this Bible curriculum and carried over to my Sunday school class. My 6th, 7th, and 8th graders LOVE this! It is a game where there is a list of verses from the Bible and the kids race each other to find the passages in their own Bibles (you start letting the kids participate about 2nd/3rd grade or when they can read well). The curriculum gives you instructions on how to play.)

Wednesday--memory verse, review first five books of the Bible, read from the Bible (Genesis 2), make a map of where the Garden of Eden may have been located, marking the rivers mentioned in Genesis 2:8-14

Thursday--memory verse, review first five book of the Bible, read from the Bible (Genesis 3), define the word "subtil" used in Genesis 3:1 (KJV), list the characteristics of the tree in Genesis 3:6; compare with 1 John 2:15-16, discuss the meaning of Genesis 3:15. Bible drill game (explanation above)

Friday--memory verse test, review first five books of the Bible, read from the Bible (Genesis 4:1-16), discuss the meaning of Genesis 4:7.

There is extra Bible reading for the older students to do on their own (if you want them too) so that they would read through the entire Old Testament in 36 weeks.

Are you able to tell how they handle the more "rated PG-13" passages? Are they covered? Is there warning in the TG if they are?

From what I can tell--after a quick skim through the material--they are not covered in the group readings at all. The only dc who would encounter them would be the olders if you gave them the extra Bible reading to do on their own.

This year I'm going through Pilgrim's Progress with my kids (currently 8, 9 and 10). We've had a lot of fun with it, and even my boy (who just turned 8 this month) has really enjoyed it. It is the complete Pilgrim's Progress. Not abridged, not changed any for children. The radio theater with it has been great as well. Very well done. My 10 yo just a few weeks ago sat down with her copy of the book and listened her way through the whole book over a couple of days. We usually read a chapter on Monday play style with the kids each taking a part to read, and then we work through the study questions (included in the teacher's book and on a CD so they're easily printed) through the rest of the week. There's memory verses included, so it really is a complete package. Depending on the amount of discussion, we usually spend 10-20 minutes on it a day.

A friend of mine gave me an idea that I'm going to run with next year. Take a chapter from Proverbs every week. Read through the Proverb every day for that week Monday through Thursday. On their own time (or scheduled in) each child draws a picture illustrating a Proverb from that chapter. On Friday each person shows the picture they have drawn. The others have to guess what Proverb is illustrated by that picture! Sounds like a lot of fun, and sounds like a great, fun way to get really acquainted with the Proverbs.

We typically would do the review questions, read the passage, answer the questions, then go through the application questions on the student pages. This took about 30-45 minutes each day. If we did the timeline, drills, and all of the stuff on the student pages, it would have taken us that amount for 2 days per lesson.

My kids liked it OK. They didn't love it, but they didn't totally despise it either.

It's EXTREMELY thorough. It has some slight doctrinal leanings (Church of Christ), but not a whole lot. It goes through almost all of the Bible.

Overall I did like it. A few things I didn't, however. Since it goes through almost all of the Bible, it goes through almost ALL of the Bible. The story of Amnon and Tamar...I didn't really enjoy having the topic of r*pe come up during our Bible time, especially since I've got littles. I know it's in the Bible, but I didn't feel like having to explain the concept. I had to do some pretty heavy on-the-fly editing so that I wasn't asked questions they were not ready to hear the answers for, KWIM? There is no warning about heavier topics like that in the curriculum either. If you don't know it's in that passage, it will surprise you.

From a practical standpoint, as you get farther along in the curriculum, you'll still need all of the units available to refer to for review questions. The review questions in the upper units refer to lessons in the lower units. It got kind of cumbersome having to dig out those previous units for the review questions. I LIKE the review questions, but it's just tedious that way.

That is very helpful. The PG-13 passages are going to be a problem for us. I guess I would have to stay one step ahead of my kids to know what I want to edit.

It does look very thorough. I'm just worried it would get tedious. I'm still on the fence. I wish I could find a Bible curriculum that we love. :tongue_smilie: I really enjoy everything else we do right now.