Menu

Phonics curriculum that's semi-independent

KrissiK

I went through A Beka phonics with both my boys because they're boys and they don't like school and if they had their own way they'd just play all day and would be happy to remain illiterate their entire lives. So, A Beka worked great because it really taught them and is very teacher directed. They're good readers now. My daughter (just turned 5), on the other hand, has taught herself her letters and sounds (most of them) and has taken the initiative to learn how to write her letters and numbers. She is very independent and likes to learn on her own, so I'm thinkin' that A Beka might not be a terribly good fit for her, since it is so scripted. I do want her to get a good foundation in phonics, though. Is there a good but less scripted and a little more independent phonics program out there?

CLE, maybe? I've only looked at it a few times, so I'm not sure.

School Phonics. For school phonics, since you've taught A Beka, you should only need the 2 student books. The teacher's manual is only necessary for people who have not taught phonics.

http://www.didax.com/shop/productdetails.cfm/BrandID/7/Sort/Item/Order/Asc/StartRow/1/ShowAll/No/ItemNo/1-58324-103-5.cfm

As a bonus, the stories are better than the normal CVC programs since they start with long vowels, you can make a better story with long vowels than short vowels. They're not as good as the old Open Court stories, which also started with long vowels, but they are better than the norm.

Edit: Here are some sample pages, they are a bit hard to find.

http://www.didax.com/schoolphonics/program.cfm

I went through A Beka phonics with both my boys because they're boys and they don't like school and if they had their own way they'd just play all day and would be happy to remain illiterate their entire lives. So, A Beka worked great because it really taught them and is very teacher directed. They're good readers now. My daughter (just turned 5), on the other hand, has taught herself her letters and sounds (most of them) and has taken the initiative to learn how to write her letters and numbers. She is very independent and likes to learn on her own, so I'm thinkin' that A Beka might not be a terribly good fit for her, since it is so scripted. I do want her to get a good foundation in phonics, though. Is there a good but less scripted and a little more independent phonics program out there?

My 5 yo sounds very similar to yours in regard to learning on her own. And she's also very active, so getting her to sit still long enough to work through Abeka isn't going to happen any time soon. :D I've decided to try a combination of Spectrum workbooks ("Phonics", "Sight Words", and "Spelling") with some of those boxed reader sets (like Bob Books) for early readers. I think this will be integrated enough, but more streamlined to implement than Abeka (or any of the other phonics programs we've used over the years!).

Explode the Code online and Click N Read both us algorithms to progress the child - as they master the letters/sounds, they are moved forward - if they need more time/help, the program generates more to work with for them. Homeschool buyers coop has discounts.

I had my daughter use BJU DVDs for grade 1. We used it in a very independent manner with me helping when she was stuck, and she has a great phonics knowledge. Plus, the classes are fun and very engaging. I'm not a fan of long-term DVD classes, but K and 1 are fairly short lessons and are put together extremely well by wonderful teachers. If I had more blessings of that age, I'd likely use those two grades again.

Edited by hearts4homeschooling