Menu

If you are teaching 5 grades or more...

How do you keep up with the grading or checking (if you aren't grading)?

I have 9th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, K/1st, and a couple of pre-Ks. We don't have any online work yet- looking into a few courses for my highschooler for next year. In the meantime, I feel he needs a lot of guidance- he's a minimalist and needs gentle encouragement to stretch beyond his comfort zone.

I've listened to SWB's advice to randomly sample the kids work, but....well, I guess my kids need more sitting on. :001_unsure:

How does it look in your house?

Thanks.

Jo

I don't know if you are open to this or not, battlemaiden, but I read once, many years ago, that the really big families often unschool, or have a relaxed homeschool, and the olders help the youngers a lot. Something has to give, I'm sure. I only have 5, but my two olders do most things on their own.

In America, we just cleaned and cooked when we could. We kept our expectations low. It's hard to do it all and not end up some kind of mental mess, I think.

Have you read Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe? I think the author is pretty realistic about big families and homeschooling.

Good luck!:)

I don't know if you are open to this or not, battlemaiden, but I read once, many years ago, that the really big families often unschool, or have a relaxed homeschool, and the olders help the youngers a lot. Something has to give, I'm sure. I only have 5, but my two olders do most things on their own.

In America, we just cleaned and cooked when we could. We kept our expectations low. It's hard to do it all and not end up some kind of mental mess, I think.

Have you read Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe? I think the author is pretty realistic about big families and homeschooling.

Good luck!:)

I will look into the book. Thank you.

I find that entering high school removes any tendency to relaxed schooling I might have had.

I really am not *that* worried about the bathrooms, laundry, or cooking- it gets done eventually. I'm just making the point that the day goes from sunrise to sunset with a whirlwind of activity and little break, then at 9pm I'm still checking a few papers or worksheets or planning for tomorrow.

This may be completely normal for this season in life, but I sure would love to hear from others that have been here to confirm it. :tongue_smilie:

I appreciate your input- I'm not here often, but aren't you in India? Can I tell you that we studied Gandhi this week and I made my first Roti and Dahl!? The kids have asked for Roti every meal since Monday night. They are in love. :lol:

Somewhere there is a post where I came to the conclusion it was just impossible to do everything well. I just can't, and I only have three. I have tried to set a priority for each child. For example, this year there were two priorities for my oldest ( 10th):

1. to survive an online class with another teacher and learn how to do that ( AP STATS)

2. To work on writing- We're getting there. I still have a way to go. This will be a high priority next year as well.

He does with math and science. He has great study skills. He has a great memory. Objective tests are really easy for him and he scores consistently high on them. He scores 99 percentile on the objective testing every year. Essay tests.... another story.

Second child: 8th grade

1. To do all his work on a consistent basis. He has done a better job of this. He isn't quite as bad as putting off things until the last minute.

2. Math, math, math. Working with math has been a big deal, always has. When I pulled him out of ps at the end of 1st his math scores were dismal. He has a hard time, but he is much, much better.

3. Treating me with respect- should probably be number one. Since he turned 13 and grown 5 inches taller than I am, he has decided that I don't know very much or he's heard everything I can teach him.. Sigh...

3rd child- 3rd grade

For the first few years, her main goal was for her to enjoy reading. Mission accomplished.

1. To get math facts down. We just aren't there. Frustrating. She can do hard, complicated problems, but you give her a timed subtraction, multiplication, etc test and she freaks. Actually, she freaks over subtraction period. Working more than 10 minutes on math feels like FOREVER to her. Sigh...

2. Writing- I just started really working on having her write more and she is fighting me tooth and nail. She has a pen pal that she is writing that has helped. Cursive.. she knows all her letters and can copy, but writing from her own brain in cursive, forget it..

I try to work on these areas EVERY day with each of them. The rest gets done: Spanish, history, science, etc. It may not get done to my standard of excellence. I just can't keep on top of everything.

Christine

My children check their own daily work. I hand them the teacher's manual. I usually glance over things while I'm teaching (especially for my 7yo and 10yo), but I only really grade/check papers and tests. Dh grades math and science tests for me. 18yos grades all Latin for me.

When I had more dc at home, we hired the local high school English department head to check big papers for us. And at a few points, we used Write Guide and Writing Assessment Services to help with writing evaluations.

Maybe one of these ideas would work for you.

The two pre-Kers are a big source of time reduction in the day. I just need to see how others are getting it done...and laundry....and meals....and educational excellence...and clean bathrooms.....

:D

Thanks.

laundry....clean bathrooms...??:lol:

I do know how time intensive the little people are. I don't have anything earth shattering to say except that I reflect on this old, simple post from Tina in Ouray a lot.

My second grade and up have their own lesson plan books that I have written their daily assignments in and expect them to reference.

I go over the younger ones work as they finish it. Usually they finish something and come show it to me.

I go over the middles ones work about every other day, unless they are in a phase of needing daily prodding or struggling with something.

I go over the high schoolers work every day. They need the discussion and feedback.

Also, we are fairly strict about work before play, so they are all eager to have their work gone over.

And it stinks to think you are done or on schedule and then find out you have a week or more worth of errors or misunderstanding to correct.

My little ones tend to orbit around me fairly well. They know not to bother those doing home work and that if they want to be in the same room as those working, they have to be nice and they have to be somewhat toned down otherwise they will be sent to another room. Mostly they sit around us pretending whatever, often that they have their own school work.

It's the mobile babies that are noisy and into everything here. But that phase is just about 6-9 months before they catch on after repeated redirection on house policy and they tend to imitate siblings, so that helps.

We get most chores out of the way before and after meals. Everyone has assigned chores and many hands make lighter, faster work for everyone. But education is the priority.

And the weather is starting to warm up and be nice! All this week, I have tossed the little ones outside to play while the rest of us get some serious work accomplished. They go out and don't want to come back in unless food is involved, give them. Bath while making dinner and they are out cold for the night within minutes of finishing dinner. Rinse and repeat every day weather permits.:D

I schooled 6 last year and will have 6 again next year, this year I have 5 official schoolers and 2 PreK. It is hard! Tina’s old post is perfect and something I need to remember daily.

My oldest(at home) sounds very similar to your oldest and he is in 11th. I don't have much time left with him so he is top priority. I don't get everything done that I want with him, or graded that I should, but I do try to at least rotate it so that one subjects grading doesn't get slighted for very long. The better planned I am, and the more clear the expectations are for him, the more easily I can monitor it to see that he gets it done.

In an ideal evening I would be given at least 30 minutes to grade/plan while my dh manages everyone. In reality this usually happens once a week, sometimes more often and sometimes less often. I also try to get a block of time at least once on the weekend. I go to the library or Barnes and Nobles or even sometimes my parents house if they are gone. Or, even better, everyone goes to the zoo/library/anywhere and I stay home to work on school house (I ignore the house during those times)

Most of my school morning is spent with my younger children and doing math and language arts with my 1st/3rd/5th. If things go well then my 5th grader does some Latin and I read aloud to them. I check their work as we go. My 5th grader does do some work in the afternoon that I try to check in the late afternoon, if not I look at it with her in the morning. I do not unschool/relaxed school, but in the grade school years it is more relaxed and I am happy if we are steady and solid on the core subjects. I would love to do history/science, but the reality is that I can’t get the core things done if I spend time planning/doing history/science. I have the readers read books on those subjects, they write on them sometimes for language arts, but a beautiful execution of the SOTW Activity guide just doesn’t happen anymore. Sometimes we hit those “extras” including art and other things in the summer, but in an informal low planning way.

Grading for the older kids: The last 3 or so years I have scheduled a 30 min session in the afternoon with the 2-3 oldest. During this session I grade anything they have done and go over it with them as I do. Sometimes I also teach something, and sometimes we do some work together. If we have nothing we have to do together I have even had them monitor the younger children while I spend that time planning for the next day or week.

I also have found that I have to do some work with the older kids in the evening . Usually this is checking math with them or going over the next math lesson. We don’t get to this every evening but it sure helps when we do.

The better I plan the schoolwork, the easier it is to make sure the kids are being productive. My 13 year old son makes breakfast and I do last minute things to get ready for the day, or throw laundry in, or sometimes start a subject with someone early.

I hope this post doesn’t sound like everything is perfectly executed because it ISN’T!!! But maybe this will give you a few ideas to brainstorm with.

Kendall

while I am not schooling as many as you (and not even school at all this year) My dd actually came to me with a plan. In school they exchange papers and grade each other as the teacher gives answers. I figured well my 4th grader could check my 8th graders work with the answer solution, and the 8th grader could check the 4th graders. Any questions could be brought to me. And I would do the math. My 8th grader is also a TA in school for Kindy class so grading and helping little ones with work is not foreign to her. I plan to allow her to do some work with dd5 (she already TA's her class in school so she is used to taking limited instruction from her already)

Can I ask too what role your dh plays here? I know mine works FT and all but if I handed him some papers to grade I know he would help out. (he also has no issue helping teach in my weak areas)

our biggest obstacle is out zany into everything toddler I plan to do a schedule where she rotates with me or "buddies"

So while I am doing math with dd12, she might be reading with dd9 while dd5 plays an online educational game. I am hoping this will work. The last time I schooled I had a preschooler, 1st & 5th grader and was preg. It wasn't easy I know 5+ kids is a challenge no matter how you do it. I have much respect for you. :D

Can I ask too what role your dh plays here? I know mine works FT and all but if I handed him some papers to grade I know he would help out. (he also has no issue helping teach in my weak areas)

My dear husband is in the Navy and right now with the Japan tragedy he is working long, hard days. He is always the go-to guy with math if the kids are struggling and he's been known to sit up until 10 or 11 pm at the kitchen table working through algebra with my oldest (not the mathiest of kids ;)).

Because he will be going back to sea duty in a year, I would really like to work out a system that doesn't rely on him, but if he is available it would be a bonus.

I appreciate the suggestion of grading each others work.

Thanks so much.

Jo

I schooled 6 last year and will have 6 again next year, this year I have 5 official schoolers and 2 PreK. It is hard! Tina’s old post is perfect and something I need to remember daily.

My oldest(at home) sounds very similar to your oldest and he is in 11th. I don't have much time left with him so he is top priority. I don't get everything done that I want with him, or graded that I should, but I do try to at least rotate it so that one subjects grading doesn't get slighted for very long. The better planned I am, and the more clear the expectations are for him, the more easily I can monitor it to see that he gets it done.

In an ideal evening I would be given at least 30 minutes to grade/plan while my dh manages everyone. In reality this usually happens once a week, sometimes more often and sometimes less often. I also try to get a block of time at least once on the weekend. I go to the library or Barnes and Nobles or even sometimes my parents house if they are gone. Or, even better, everyone goes to the zoo/library/anywhere and I stay home to work on school house (I ignore the house during those times)

l

Yes, this sounds like me. I really love the days when my husband takes the kids to the zoo! I find I can grade during the week, but to assess and plan I need quiet- I'm highly distractible.

Your post was encouraging because that is how it is looking here- grabbing snatches here and there. It is irregular, but we keep on plodding. I needed to hear this.

My children check their own daily work. I hand them the teacher's manual. I usually glance over things while I'm teaching (especially for my 7yo and 10yo), but I only really grade/check papers and tests. Dh grades math and science tests for me. 18yos grades all Latin for me.

When I had more dc at home, we hired the local high school English department head to check big papers for us. And at a few points, we used Write Guide and Writing Assessment Services to help with writing evaluations.

Maybe one of these ideas would work for you.

All those ideas are helpful. I was hoping you'd chime in. Reading about your family, and your standards, always encourages me.

Teacher manuals: this is where I'm heading, I believe. They will need to start checking the manuals for a few subjects. I'm not a devotee of learning style theory, but my oldest is very auditory and so he still benefits from discussion/narration and then writing. I'm wondering if that will decrease as he gets older and better with writing?

Hiring an English teacher to grade writing assignments is a great idea. Out of curiosity, how did you know what to pay?

Thanks again, Luann.

Jo

*And* that entire thread you linked was helpful. It is messy. I am trying to lower my standards here. I cooked dinner yesterday with a worm dissection going on atop the kitchen island. No cross contamination, but it gave me a moment to ponder the wonderful complexities of education at home. I still wish I could build a "lab" in the garage though. Hee, hee.

Edited by battlemaiden

I have a smaller grade range (5th, 7th, 2-8th, 9th), but 4 are gifted, three are twice-exceptional and one is studying for a GED (I run a cottage school).

This was my first year running this school, so there has been a learning curve, for sure. The easiest qestion to answer is that everyone cleans up after themselves. If you open it, close it, get it out, put it away, etc. They keep each other honest. They also all get their own food.

A big second for having them help each other and give feedback on work. I never grade first drafts (they peer edit then re-write before I see it - first drafts are painful on a number of levels), and I also trust them to check their own math work. This year, everyone has a separate curriculum, but that is changing next year. I keep a portfolio on everyone and review it with the students once a month (for reflection and evaluation).

Next year I am planning on working thematically, with everyone studying the same theme at a different level. Math will all be different, but good writing is good writing, and because they are all middle/high school that makes it easier, but their reading levels are all over the map (GED student speaks English as a second language and reads at a lower level than the 5th grader, who is highly gifted in reading and reads at a 10th grade level). We will study China all year for social studies, with the 10th grader focusing on AP World Geography, the 8th grader on economics, and the 5th/7th graders doing a more general study of the people and culture. Current events will also be an element for everyone, and some of the writing instruction will come from that as well.

I will probably have a couple more students next year, and will lose two (one who is moving due to the military, and my GED student), but generally, even though there will be some specialized parts, we will all be on the same theme focused by the same questions. This keeps the big picture manageable, gives everyone a common language (literally and figuratively) and keeps me from going crazy while still delivering a rigorous but personalized curriculum.

Checking each others work did not work here(character issues) between the oldest 2, but I can sometimes have an older check on or help a younger.

Here is what is working this year for us: I don't do a lot of workbooks, mostly math. The 2 middle boys do reading comprehension that they check themselves. Writing for IEW is edited/checked by me on the computer before printing and then checked again by my teaching partner at co-op.

I have the staples desk top apprentice(LOVE IT) and that holds all teacher manuels etc. There is a hanging green folder for "in" and a red one for "out". When they finish math, or there are a few other things I check for my oldest, it goes straight to the green folder. I dont even worry about it that day or evening. The next morning, the desk top apprentice gets moved to the middle of the table. We do a few group lessons and then everyone works on language arts on their own level. This involves copywork, writing, reading comp etc. I am not really needed during this hour(except to work with the 5 year old) and to write spelling words on the board when anyone needs to know how to spell something(those are gone over as a group the next day). So I sit at the table and check yesterdays papers and place them in the red folder. When any student is ready for a subject which requires the papers to be turned in, they go get the previous days from the red folder and look it over. They fix any mistakes and turn it back in(sometimes I have a min to check it right then) before moving on to that days lesson. This is the ONLY method that has worked for us consistently.

This frees me up from the interuptions of being shown work all day long when working one on one with someone. It is also immpractical for me to be checking papers in the evening. If Im not plain too tired, we have other things going on usually.

BTW, I have 5 students in K, 3,5, 7 and 8/9 as well as an almost 3 year old with special needs and a brand new 1 year old. It is tough. The toughest year we have had. I am trusting that it will all work out in the end!

I hope that helps!

Are you familiar with Joanne Calderwood? If not, I would highly recommend you visit her site at www.urthemom.com.

Some things that have worked for us is having my 12yodd do preschool with the littles. We are using Little Hands to Heaven.

Another big time saver for me has been Teaching Textbooks. We are currently using TT3. It grades the lesson for you, then you can either go back and discuss the ones that were missed, or delete the missed problems and have the child do them over.

We also do workboxes and lots of science and history from educational dvds and non-fiction library books.

I really had some hard struggles this year, but reading Joanne Calderwood's info gave me hope that things were doable :).

Just wanted to thank you for starting this thread, I've gleaned some good ideas. I've got six students this year ranging all the way from 12th grade to K and I know what you mean about grading and planning. I've tried different systems over the years, but right now I get up 45 minutes earlier than everyone else and that is my grading time and if I move fast I can get through everything :) It's never worked well for most of my kids to grade their own work. Things tend to spiral out of control without my awareness and then all of a sudden there's been weeks where a subject isn't getting done properly and everything blows up.

We have a grading basket that sits on the table during the day and everything that needs graded goes right into the basket. On good days I do grab things during the day and grade as we go - unfortunately good days are few and far between.

As far as planning, I use Tracker Plus and spend the spring/summer inputting the plans and then on Sunday night feed them into the schedule for the kids. It usually takes me about an hour to do this and it gives everyone a schedule to work from for the whole week. If there is a subject that I need to adjust for a repeat lesson or a review, I can do that without messing with the lesson plans I had already input.

You women are incredible!!! I only have one left and a college student living at home.

Housework, we do one of two things. When the house becomes intolerable, then I announce that everyone cleans like crazy for an hour (two if everyone's schedules allow). (I have back issues, and can't do some of the house cleaning tasks.) We usually do this option. Life is busy with dh working two jobs, and me homeschooling a high schooler and running ds back and forth to college so we can have a car here. The other not so used option is a little each day, not the same place, so each place in the house doesn't become too dirty.