Menu

White mold on cheddar cheese?

It is mold but I don't think the white mold on hard cheeses like cheddar is harmful. We always just scrape it off and eat the cheese underneath. IME though cheese only gets like this when we've had it in the fridge for a while so if this is like this when it is being delivered to you then, yeah, I'd probably complain.

It is a thin white coating on the cheese. Is it mold? I get my cheese delivered to me from the dairy and it is coming in the sealed package with the white stuff already on the cheese. Is it time to complain?

Is it Tillamook? (I think we have the same dairy). If so, there shouldn't be mold on it in the package. Def. call them.

Is it Tillamook? (I think we have the same dairy). If so, there shouldn't be mold on it in the package. Def. call them.

Could it be wax or something like that? I get something similar on Tillamook occasionally, and while slightly troubling, it doesn't really look like mold, so I've always assumed it was wax.