Menu

MEP questions

Koerarmoca

dd5 is will be coming from pvt school kindy to HS for first grade. Should I start at the reception level this summer (we are schooling "lite" in the summer) would the reception level be to simple coming out of Kindy?

when you do MEP do you print the entire thing? lesson by lesson? or do you work off the computer? my printer is not spectacular on graphics it more of a work horse for black and white text.

dd5 is will be coming from pvt school kindy to HS for first grade. Should I start at the reception level this summer (we are schooling "lite" in the summer) would the reception level be to simple coming out of Kindy?

when you do MEP do you print the entire thing? lesson by lesson? or do you work off the computer? my printer is not spectacular on graphics it more of a work horse for black and white text.

The graphics in MEP (with the exception of the Reception materials and some posters) couldn't be much more basic. It is all black and white and perfectly suited to a printer like yours.

Bill

MEP reception covers numbers 0 through 5, with no writing required.

You could try the games, which are really cute, but the rest might be too basic for a kid who's already been through K.

I agree about the graphics -- rarely anything fancy in MEP outside of reception. It's a bit like 1980s clip art.

The other lessons do refer to "Posters" which are in color. I did pull them up on my monitor for a time, but finally decided to print and put in sheet protectors in my notebook. It is easier for me to do that than load the computer, internet, and pdf file when needed.

These posters are not written on, but referred to, so they can be easily used for all of your students.

I do print the 'copymasters' ... some of the logic pages are only found there and my daughter likes to have more room to write her work in.

There are 22 posters referenced in reception, y1, and y2. They are typically used in the text in y1 for doing a problem like "let's find a bunch of things that total 16" sort of a way. You can therefore use any picture with a bunch of stuff in it, or collect objects from around the room.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/posters/posters.htm

There are 22 posters referenced in reception, y1, and y2. They are typically used in the text in y1 for doing a problem like "let's find a bunch of things that total 16" sort of a way. You can therefore use any picture with a bunch of stuff in it, or collect objects from around the room.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/posters/posters.htm

great Idea thanks so much

I haven't actually done Reception, but from what I've read on the MEP Yahoo! Group, it's basically all repeated in 1st grade, just with more info & writing. So there might be some cool games in Reception, but I'd think that Year 1 would be a fine place to start. If you have more questions or want more info - the Yahoo group is awesome.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mep-homeschoolers/

I agree; you can start in Year 1 instead of Reception. It already goes slow (atleast in the first 20 lessons), but you can go slower if your dc needs it. Take more time to cement numeration with real objects, games, etc.

In Year 1, you will have to print out the Practice Books at the very least. I like to have the printed Lesson Plans as well (that is the teacher guide) but some people refer to those directly on the computer.

HTH