Menu

Question about house painting -- covering brick -- does that work well?????

Our house has a partial brick front. We will be painting the house in a month or two. I'm thinking about painting that brick, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Have any of you ever painted brick on your house?

Were you still glad you did it after a few years had gone by?

Do you have to prime the bricks in some way before painting?

Does the paint stay on?

Does the color of painted brick match the color of painted wood (assuming you used the same paint brand and color to paint both, lol)?

I appreciate sharing any experiences you have had with this, as I know nothing about it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

If I could, I would not paint brick. The bottom of my house is brick, as is the low wall along the stairs to the porch. Over time the paint bubbles and peels, and it's got to be repainted. In order to repaint, it's got to be thoroughly scraped, which is a royal pain.

If you do choose to paint your brick, yes, you MUST prime with a high-quality masonry primer. Do not skimp on this.

Be prepared to scrape and repaint every couple years.

Oh, hey, Strider, long time no talk.

Thanks for the heads up, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

Argh, scraping is not on my list of fun things to do.

I'm more into low or no maintenance these days; sounds like we should leave the brick naked.

It's fairly decent brick, not tacky, thankfully, so it should be fine.

Okay, THANKS!!! All the best to you!

Blessings,

I hate the color of our brick and several people know it. All of the contractor construction type people have suggested I paint the brick and all say it will last as long as paint on the house. That doesn't reassure me considering that my parents house sits in the sun and has to be painted every 5-10 years, not the 20 that I hear others talking about. Personally even though I don't like my brick, I plan on leaving it alone. I don't need extra work or expense. Kind of like let a baby stay asleep, KWIM.

We're painting our brick house. My DH worked for a company for 20 years that was entirely painted brick. It was beautiful and the paint job was not any more difficult to maintain then any other painted home. You do need to prime. You do need to repaint every 5-7 years just like any other painted surface exposed to the weather. But if you do your maintenance, no scraping will be needed. Our home is a very old style tan brick. It is dated and there is no way to update the look other then painting. I can't wait!

If done correctly it looks good. My dh is a contractor and painted one of our previous homes. It had been red brick and he painted it a medium gray. We were never sorry, it changed the mood of the house. We've driven by a few times and it's still the same color.

A good cleaning with a power washer and a good primer are necessary. I would get tips from a paint store, not just the hardware store.

If I could, I would not paint brick. The bottom of my house is brick, as is the low wall along the stairs to the porch. Over time the paint bubbles and peels, and it's got to be repainted. In order to repaint, it's got to be thoroughly scraped, which is a royal pain.

If you do choose to paint your brick, yes, you MUST prime with a high-quality masonry primer. Do not skimp on this.

Be prepared to scrape and repaint every couple years.

I would think power washing would take it off without scraping.

I've wondered about painting our exterior bricks as well. Another idea I had was exterior tiles? Or, doing a cement finish over the bricks -- like a staccato finish. (? not sure if that's the correct term). Anyone have any experience with either of these applications?

T

[boy this board moves fast.]

Thanks, ladies, for the info. Very interesting!

Hmmmm... will have to think.

But I guess we are erring on the side of leaving it as is, even though it would be GREAT to get a totally different look. Well, maybe some day.

I appreciate everything you said, thanks!

Blessings,

I used this stuff

http://www.brick-anew.com/

to paint a hideous red brick with white mortar fireplace that dominated our family room.

It looks truly fantastic and was very easy to do. It's pretty much a decorative paint process with 3-4 steps. It's been 3 years and it still looks absolutely perfect. I brag on it all the time, and noone ever had guessed it was painted.

I haven't tried it outside, but if faced with a similarly ugly brick exterior, I'd be very tempted to try it based on the success inside.