Menu

For those who used MM . . .

Just wondering about math after math mammoth. Were you pleased with where your dc was in math upon completion of mm? Were they prepared for higher level math? If you were to start over again, would you choose MM again? Just hoping to get some feedback from those who have been there :) We are currently using Saxon but planning to switch to MM and I am slightly nervous due to MM being slightly less "tried and true" than Saxon. Thank you!

Keep in mind that MM 6B just came out last fall, around Thanksgiving I think, so very, very few people will have gone through MM all the way to the end of 6B as of today.

There are prealgebra recommendations on the MM website. I believe any solid prealgebra program will do. The two texts I'm holding on to, in the back of my mind, are Lial's Prealgebra and Russian Mathematics 6 by Nurk. These are not discussed on her website.

We're using MM and like it a lot. I don't see how you're making a fair comparison trying to say Saxon is tried and true and MM is not. Saxon is *tried and flopped* for a lot of kids (though it works for some). I think what you're really trying to figure out is whether MM covers all the state standards and is a solid sequence. Yes, from what I can tell (no glaring omissions). It's not non-traditional in sequence like say MUS (which again works for some people, just saying it's non-traditional in sequence). So what you're really asking is whether the METHODOLOGY is going to work for your kids. Nothing is tried and true and guaranteed to work for all kids, and the fact that you're contemplating changing shows that. The only thing you can do is try some things and find that happy blend of what *you* can teach and what gets it through to your dc. MM is getting through to a lot of kids and has a terrific thought process. But no, it's not going to fit all kids or be some mainstream option that every single child can succeed with. If you want that, stick with Saxon or go to school curriculum like BJU. BJU (which we've also done btw and liked) has something to appeal to every type of learner and is flexible enough that you as the teacher can make it work for a variety of kids. It has stories for the social learner, colorful pages for the visual student, b&w extra pages for kids who can't handle color, cd's of more printable pages for kids who need more practice, extension pages for kids who need extra challenge. School curriculum is meant to do that. MM is more niched, absolutely. But it still can be a very good choice for the right dc, very good.

Are you going to a convention where you'll get to see more things soon? Your dc is so young. Really and truly, I would cut yourself some grace in this. You're learning how to teach and what you need in order to be comfortable teaching, and you're learning how your dc learns. Almost NO ONE choses perfectly the first time on everything, and ALMOST NO ONE sticks with the same thing every year for 13 years. So cut yourself some slack. For real. Go buy 5 things. Buy 'em all and try 'em all, doing each one for 2 weeks this summer. I guarantee by the end of the summer you'll know more about how your dc learns and what will work for them. Or do no math this summer but play lots of math games and see where you're at come fall. Is your oldest K5 or K4 age? That 5 is still pretty young to be requiring lots of worksheets. It can ALL be done with manipulatives, games, etc. at this age, all of it.

Oh, my favs for this age? RightStart, absolutely. If you haven't done a level of RS yet, definitely look at it. It will sync into MM later, no problem. Love for levels A, B, and the first half of C. Lots of manipulatives, games, fun. I like MM, but personally I can't imagine missing the manipulatives and fun stuff we did for math in RS. There's also a book Kitchen Table Math that I want to get to try with ds. Comes highly recommended by the math afficianadoes.

The other thing to remember is that, although it doesn't seem like it now, you're teaching a very specific individual, not theoretical child or a class. When we start researching so much, we're thinking vaguely about what we do *to* the dc. Well at some point you start to realize that the perfect choice theoretically doesn't matter if it doesn't *fit* the specific child in front of us. Occasionally, a choice we didn't think was as good in theory (for whatever reason) turns out to be perfect for our kids. Most kids at that age like fun, want to play, and enjoy some form of interaction. Maybe your kid is a worksheet lover. I'd sort that out before you chose your math and let that factor in.

Edited by OhElizabeth

We're using MM and like it a lot. I don't see how you're making a fair comparison trying to say Saxon is tried and true and MM is not. Saxon is *tried and flopped* for a lot of kids (though it works for some).

In stating "tried and true" my intent was in the time Saxon has been around, while MM is relatively new. Many more learners have used Saxon than MM. This is not saying Saxon is better, simply that there is more "data" to prove the effectiveness (generally speaking) of one.

I think what you're really trying to figure out is whether MM covers all the state standards and is a solid sequence. Yes, from what I can tell (no glaring omissions). It's not non-traditional in sequence like say MUS (which again works for some people, just saying it's non-traditional in sequence).

No, I am not asking about state standards, I know Maria Miller has those on her website and I can see where and when they are covered. My question is simply, a generalized, "was your child prepared for higher level math after having used the program or do you have regrets in choosing it?"

So what you're really asking is whether the METHODOLOGY is going to work for your kids. Nothing is tried and true and guaranteed to work for all kids, and the fact that you're contemplating changing shows that. The only thing you can do is try some things and find that happy blend of what *you* can teach and what gets it through to your dc. MM is getting through to a lot of kids and has a terrific thought process. But no, it's not going to fit all kids or be some mainstream option that every single child can succeed with. If you want that, stick with Saxon or go to school curriculum like BJU. BJU (which we've also done btw and liked) has something to appeal to every type of learner and is flexible enough that you as the teacher can make it work for a variety of kids. It has stories for the social learner, colorful pages for the visual student, b&w extra pages for kids who can't handle color, cd's of more printable pages for kids who need more practice, extension pages for kids who need extra challenge. School curriculum is meant to do that. MM is more niched, absolutely. But it still can be a very good choice for the right dc, very good.

I am aware that each child has their own learning styles and not all programs work for each, that is why I am not asking "will this work"

Are you going to a convention where you'll get to see more things soon? Your dc is so young. Really and truly, I would cut yourself some grace in this. You're learning how to teach and what you need in order to be comfortable teaching, and you're learning how your dc learns. Almost NO ONE choses perfectly the first time on everything, and ALMOST NO ONE sticks with the same thing every year for 13 years. So cut yourself some slack. For real. Go buy 5 things. Buy 'em all and try 'em all, doing each one for 2 weeks this summer. I guarantee by the end of the summer you'll know more about how your dc learns and what will work for them. Or do no math this summer but play lots of math games and see where you're at come fall. Is your oldest K5 or K4 age? That 5 is still pretty young to be requiring lots of worksheets. It can ALL be done with manipulatives, games, etc. at this age, all of it.

Oh, my favs for this age? RightStart, absolutely. If you haven't done a level of RS yet, definitely look at it. It will sync into MM later, no problem. Love for levels A, B, and the first half of C. Lots of manipulatives, games, fun. I like MM, but personally I can't imagine missing the manipulatives and fun stuff we did for math in RS. There's also a book Kitchen Table Math that I want to get to try with ds. Comes highly recommended by the math afficianadoes.

The other thing to remember is that, although it doesn't seem like it now, you're teaching a very specific individual, not theoretical child or a class. When we start researching so much, we're thinking vaguely about what we do *to* the dc. Well at some point you start to realize that the perfect choice theoretically doesn't matter if it doesn't *fit* the specific child in front of us. Occasionally, a choice we didn't think was as good in theory (for whatever reason) turns out to be perfect for our kids. Most kids at that age like fun, want to play, and enjoy some form of interaction. Maybe your kid is a worksheet lover. I'd sort that out before you chose your math and let that factor in.

My dd is 5 (k-5), currently doing Saxon 1 and doing well. I like MM and am leaning in that direction. Math is really the only "worksheets" in our curriculum that we do consistently, so she is certainly not overwhelmed in that area. We plan to try MM1 next month when we complete Saxon 1 (I bought it from the coop) and give it a try. I really have no desire to buy a multitude of programs if I do not have to. Saxon "works". I think MM would be better (I would prefer more of an emphasis on conceptual and mental math), if it doesn't work for us, we will go back to Saxon.

Just wanted to know, if you have used it, was your dc prepared for higher level math? :)

I'm not through it yet, but we are about 1/2 way through MM6A with my 12yo. We did mostly Saxon until last year. My son has always been great at math concepts and so he flew through Saxon 3, 5/4, and 6/5. Then in 7/6 he hit this big wall, didn't remember how to do anything and was super frustrated all the time. We switched to MM and got about 3 chapters in when I realized that it was over his head. We went back to to MM 4 (where fractions and decimals are really broken down and explained) and struggled and wrestled and worked until he really understood the underlying concepts. Then we started MM 6 over and now he is doing really well again.

I think that MM does a better job than Saxon getting to the "why" of math concepts. I am also using it with my K'er and 1st grader this year, and they all seem to be doing well. In my opinion it is a very thorough program.

I have already purchased Lial's Basic College Math to do after MM (I didn't know 6B had finally been released!) - it is one of the texts that Maria Miller recommends for pre-alegebra. And looking through it, I have to say it will be a breeze. There are a few things like stats and geometry that we haven't covered lately, but I wonder if they are covered in 6B. But for the most part, this course (that is actually taught at some colleges - my book came from a college book store!) will be easy review for my son.

HTH!

I'm not through it yet, but we are about 1/2 way through MM6A with my 12yo. We did mostly Saxon until last year. My son has always been great at math concepts and so he flew through Saxon 3, 5/4, and 6/5. Then in 7/6 he hit this big wall, didn't remember how to do anything and was super frustrated all the time. We switched to MM and got about 3 chapters in when I realized that it was over his head. We went back to to MM 4 (where fractions and decimals are really broken down and explained) and struggled and wrestled and worked until he really understood the underlying concepts. Then we started MM 6 over and now he is doing really well again.

I think that MM does a better job than Saxon getting to the "why" of math concepts. I am also using it with my K'er and 1st grader this year, and they all seem to be doing well. In my opinion it is a very thorough program.

I have already purchased Lial's Basic College Math to do after MM (I didn't know 6B had finally been released!) - it is one of the texts that Maria Miller recommends for pre-alegebra. And looking through it, I have to say it will be a breeze. There are a few things like stats and geometry that we haven't covered lately, but I wonder if they are covered in 6B. But for the most part, this course (that is actually taught at some colleges - my book came from a college book store!) will be easy review for my son.

HTH!

very helpful! Thank you!

I know BCM was recommended after MM, but after Singapore 6 (and I keep hearing MM is similar in level), BCM was too much review for my dd. We switched to Lial's Pre-Algebra and it's a much better fit. I'm wondering if now that MM has a level 6, the Pre-Alg would be a better follow-on? The Pre-Alg has much more practice with negative numbers, variables and simple linear equations throughout the book - BCM doesn't introduce even these concepts till the 2nd to last chapter.

My dd finished 6A and is about a quarter through 6B. She is also doing LOF Pre-Algebra/Biology. We plan on LOF PreA/Economics this summer. I'm not convinced she will need a full year of a pre-algebra course after this. I could be wrong. But most pre-A programs look like review of MM year 6. I guess time will tell.

I know BCM was recommended after MM, but after Singapore 6 (and I keep hearing MM is similar in level), BCM was too much review for my dd. We switched to Lial's Pre-Algebra and it's a much better fit. I'm wondering if now that MM has a level 6, the Pre-Alg would be a better follow-on? The Pre-Alg has much more practice with negative numbers, variables and simple linear equations throughout the book - BCM doesn't introduce even these concepts till the 2nd to last chapter.

That makes sense. 6A was out but 6B was not when I looked at her recs. And I am thinking we might be able to go into LoF Algebra after a quick review in Lial's BCM.