Menu

Dd just not caring for SL book choices...

thundersweet

We are in core 3 at the moment. She is 9 and in the 4th grade. She tolerates the read alouds although i lose her sometimes. She just doesn't seem to really enjoy it. She says her readers are boring and usually complains. I really don't know if it's because she would rather be playing or she really just doesn't find history taught this way interesting. I am really wondering if maybe for 5th grade i should try a textbook. Something short and sweet that won't take up so much time.

What i decided to do for now is use "A Living History of Our World" and combine it with some of the SLbooks that i think she'll like or at least tolerate. I am adding in some books off of our own shelves.

Anybody else not care for Sonlight's book choices? Any recommendations for a history textbook?

Thanks,

Sandy

Sadly, my daughter, 10, just does not like Sonlight. At least she hasn't for Core 3 and Core 4. My son adores it. My daughter wants just the facts and a textbook. Everyone's different. She's enjoyed several of the read alouds and has completely zoned out on others; she's been the same with the readers. I've switched her to BJU Heritage Studies with the workbook and some of the SL readers and read alouds. This has been a great compromise and she's liking it again, not loving it, but I'll take like for now. :) Who knows, maybe in a few years she'll decide differently.

I think your plan sounds like a good one. Good luck.

My two older girls loved SL (up until the "high school" Cores anyway). My youngest didn't like SL past 3rd grade. I did history and readalouds with all three of my kids together up until she finished 3rd grade (oldest was in 8th grade that year). My youngest didn't do the SL readers until she was in 5th grade because she's dyslexic and her reading was way below level.

We're in Core 3 right now. My daughter LOVES the Readers. My son just tolerates it. :D

Is it the content that bugs her or the amount of reading? I think my son doesn't want to be bothered by the amount of reading. :glare: He's a Wiggly Willy.

There are tons of choices out there for history. Our friends like Mystery of History. I was always interested in BJU's social studies. There's MFW - which has more hands-on stuff than SL. There's always SOTW!

My third graders doesn't really love Core 3 either. She enjoyed Core K, Core 1, and Core 2. She enjoys the readers and part of the read aloud books fore Core 3. She hated the first two and that wasn't fun!

She doesn't like the Landmark book - she understands it, but doesn't like it. She HATES the Story of the USA workbooks.

We usually do SOTW and a Sonlight Core. Next year, we will do SOTW 4 and Winterpromise American Story 2. I will add in some of the Sonlight read alouds and readers since we both enjoy those. We will probably return to Sonlight for Core 5 since both of my girls were adopted from Asia and I think we would enjoy it.

Suzanne

Sonlight is so heavy in historical fiction and some kids just don't get into that. 17yos told me the other day he's never liked historical fiction and he's actually considering a major in history. Try finding your child some different genres and see how that goes.

For history, I'd either use SOTW or study the logic stage history chapter in WTM and go with that method for history.

Edited by Luann in ID

Sonlight is so heavy in historical fiction and some kids just don't get into that. 17yos told me the other day he's never liked historical fiction and he's actually considering a major in history. Try finding your child some different genres and see how that goes.

For history, I'd either use SOTW or study the logic stage history chapter in WTM and go with that method for history.

This was the case for us as well. SL did not work for us after several years forcing it on my kids. I finally gave up and let my youngest dd read what she wanted to. She is now going into 8th grade and has grown into a great reader just from choosing her own books. I will finally in 8th grade assign her books to read. Some kids just do not "get historical fiction" and find it boring and don't even understand it. Sonlight was just not for us.

I guess i'm afraid to leave SL for fear my dd will miss some great books. I just have to let that go. I suppose she's not really getting anything from the books if she's only half interested....if at all. I have no idea why Sonlight has such a hold on me.

Thanks,

Sandy

I felt this same way. Making that leap was very difficult for us especially since I had been using SL from the beginning. We finally dropped SL 15 weeks into core 3. It just wasn't working for our family. We are much happier, learning a lot, and doing okay without SL books for history (although we are catching some here and there). In fact, we've discovered a few others out there that we like just as much! :grouphug:

If she is doing okay with the History books, keep using those. If she likes only some Read-Alouds, then only read half of them--I never have time to read all of them in one year anyway! If she only dislikes the Readers, then ditch all of them, and use books from WTM and VP lists instead, or just use great books for her age that are NOT history books. In cores 3-4 & 6-7 SL Readers are heavily historical fiction, which I don't like. My kids love them and read them all, but also read lots of other fiction on their own. If they didn't, I'd have them read *maybe* half the SL readers and supplement with other sorts of fictional works. There are so many really great books out there for children that don't have to be read in chronological order!

I guess i'm afraid to leave SL for fear my dd will miss some great books. I just have to let that go. I suppose she's not really getting anything from the books if she's only half interested....if at all. I have no idea why Sonlight has such a hold on me.

Thanks,

Sandy

I think there are perks to using time tested resources, that hold the teacher's hand, too. SL provides quality with ease of instruction. It does give you the sense that you're getting "it" done, well, and that is a huge relief.

There are other programs that can give you the same satisfaction. Just take the first step! :grouphug:

Where can i find some really great book lists? Like lists of books that every child should read. Some lists by subjects would be great too! I decided to continue on with what we are doing. Just adding in SL books in order from the schedule. If she is not interested, we'll just drop it.

Thanks,

Sandy

That is one of my main reasons for leaving Sonlight. We did 8 Cores and my oldest daughter tolerated it. I think it was because there were several great books mingled in with the awful ones. She read one for Core 100 last year that was so disturbing she begged me not to make her finish it. Don't remember the name right now but it was about the Dust Bowl.

We switched my daughter to MFW and I have been using Winter Promise for the younger children. It has been a very good fit for us all.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Well, after so many years of homeschooling, I have discovered that there is no such thing as the perfect curriculum. So I have made my own. :D Here is my ecclectic mix:

Winterpromise

TOG

Trail Guide to Learning

KONOS

Plus a perusal through Sonlight and Veritas read-alouds and other books to throw in for fun.

It's expensive and a pain in the patootie to plan sometimes (unless you are like me and LOVE planning lessons...I'm a freak, I know. :lol:), but it has everything I want.

Also want to say that I don't buy all of those curriculums every year. I have enough curriculum accumulated that I usually add only one or two from the above (usually WP and Trail Guide). The rest I already own....and then some. :glare: