Menu

New to homeschooling-what curriculum??

Guest AdvocateMom

Guest AdvocateMom

My daughter will be 12 (6th grader) this week and we are going to begin homeschooling soon. As I mentioned in another post, we were/are considering K12 curriculum; however, I was curious what other options there were for her. K12 placement tests placed her a year or so behind in Math and English, although she is an A student and in honors!

Could you please point me to other resources? We prefer online options but we are open to anything.

Thank you

There is so much it's hard to know where to begin. I like to go through the catalog at Rainbow Resourse. They carry almost everything and have descriptions. Bob Jones is good and can be done online if you want a Christian choice. Sorry I'm not much help. We don't do online and I pick and choose for each subject. Good luck!

http://www.rainbowresource.com/index.php?sid=1280408026-24246

There are SO many different types and styles and choices, it's hard to answer. Do you want something more hands on? Something very rigorous? Something heavy on writing? Something textbookish? Something not textbookish? Something religious? Secular? Perhaps you need to spend more time researching various homeschooling styles, and then curricula within that style, and try to narrow things down, then ask for feedback or comparisons if you've narrowed it down some.

Personally, I'm a huge Oak Meadow fan. Love, love love it. Plan on using it for K-8 with my little guy starting in the fall, and so far I've used it for 4th and 5th with my 10 y/o daughter- will be continuing at LEAST through 8th grade with her.

But it's not going to suit everybody, I like it because it's more laid back and gentle in the earliest years, and more hands on and not particularly dry/textbookish even in the later years. But then I'm a more relaxed homeschooler to begin with.

I have an 11-year old 6th grader. Our curriculum is listed in my siggy line. I'll translate the abbreviations: Math U See, Lightning Literature, All About Spelling, Classical Writing Poetry for Beginners, Classical Writing Homer books A and B, Harvey's Grammar. The Kingfisher History and Science encyclopedias along with lots of books recommended in The Well Trained Mind for history and science. Latina Christiana 1

Are you looking for Christian, curriculum based on a different religion, or secular homeschooling materials?

Edited by Parrothead

I would go over to the curriculum boards. Find the abbreviation sticky and then begin reading siggy lines ;). You will have to refer to the Abbreviation sticky for awhile!!!

Also, if you post over there something like, "Help!!! DD is coming home and I don't know where to start! Would you please tell me what your doing for...."

Also, do a search of the curriculum board, and read TWTM!!!! ;)

WELCOME!!!!

I hope you are not discouraged by your child testing a year behind. When we left public school my DD had skipped two grades, made straight A's and was on the honor roll. One day after pulling out of school she looked at me and said....."What is this noun and verb you keep talking about?!" That was a real light bulb moment for us! In only one year of being home she was able to raise her math 4 grade levels and in the area of language arts the kids not only caught up but moved way ahead. We do not use anything online. I read The Well Trained Mind and pick and choose what we use. You might look at TRISMS. In encompasses all areas except math and science. The child can do most of it on their own and from what I understand it offers more high school credits than a lot of other curriculums. In can be started in 6th or 7th depending on the child. The website is quite extensive with information.

Honestly, hitting a homeschool convention would be AWESOME for you right now. You will be able to hold the books, look through them, speak with the vendors, attend classes, etc. Now is the time for all the homeschool conventions. I'm not sure where you are located but maybe there's one within a few hours of you. It would be really beneficial to attend one....especially for someone who is just starting out. It's very difficult to know what curriculum to choose when there are so many choices.

When I need a new curriculum, I pick ONE subject, then hang out at the K-8 boards until my eyes twitch.

Seriously, go slow and try not to take take it all in at once. Get a copy of the WTM and read it slowly.

Narrow it down to a couple of choices and ask the board what they think.

Lara

Get this book :http://www.amazon.com/100-Top-Picks-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0805431381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300123679&sr=8-1 it will help you narrow down what method fits you and your family. Then it will give curr. choices based on that method. It does not have all the curr. available, but it will give you some good ideas of what you are looking for. Then you can do your research on the curr. In that category.