Menu

1st grade curriculum for a younger student? MFW, Oak Meadow or make my own?

Angel in FL

My daughter will be 5.5 when we start 1st. She is currently doing McRuffy K phonics and math. I like it but am not so in love that we'll continue. That is an option but I'm also looking for other programs that will cover most of everything needed. It needs to be inexpensive if possible. That never was much of an issue before but money is really tight.

So, MFW for 1st grade? If I do that, I need to add math right? Or is the Complete Book of Math they include in the deluxe package really enough?

I have considered doing McRuffy math & phonics, SOTW and maybe FLL. Any thoughts on combining those?

Oak Meadow 1st? I like the looks but am concerned about the lack of detailed plans, and it seems a little too free spirited to me.

MFW 1st grade is probably going to be too much for a 5.5 year old, IMO. It moves REALLY quickly and there is a lot of writing. That being said, if you've looked at the samples and think your dd is ready, it's a fabulous program!

The math program is really based on real-life activities and pictures books. The Complete Book of Math is supplemental, and helpful, IMO. They have you move through the topics once, and then again with the more difficult pages. It really is enough, but you have to be willing to put in the time on the activities, like sorting socks to learn counting by 2's, playing "restaurant" to practice with money, etc. It's great stuff, but a little more effort is needed on your part to make the activities happen.

Have you looked at MFW K? It's an OUTSTANDING program. It seems light, but my 5.5 yo dd (when we started) did very well with it. It's a lovely and gently intro to school. There's more to it than you might think, and if she's reading some already, you can skip some of the games for phonics etc.

Ariel was about that age when we started first grade. We pieced things together including SOTW and Sonlight science. OM1 is really light, and if you have a bright child, you'll end up adding a lot to make it work. I'm running into that with OM2 this year, and Ariel isn't quite 7 yet. :glare: Have you thought about Five in a Row? It's fairly complete and inexpensive, especially if you can use your library. You can add math, a handwriting workbook and reading and call it good. Ambleside Online is another good, relatively inexpensive option.

My DS is using HOD Beyond this year. He turned 6 in November, so it's technically his K year, but he's doing 1st grade work. LHFHG would be a nice choice too. I would have placed him there if I wasn't combining two kids. You may want to use the 1st grade level of Singapore with it.

Personally, I absolutely love Oak Meadow. If you would like to learn more about it in deciding whether it's for you, you might want to take a peek at my review here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124071.html

and this was from Kindergarten rather than 1st grade but you may find this informative, too:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/125979.html