Menu

Math question

2squared

I am hesitantly here for the first time, so please be gentle. :001_smile: I am looking for help for my 6yo. His sweet little mind is all about logic, numbers, patterns, and rules. He even loves poetry.

I've been taking him through RS B, but he is sooo bored. He perks up when his sister is doing oral lessons from RS C, and he does the mental math along with her. Today he decided to complete one of his sister's RS multiplication sheets, and I haven't intentionally taught him multiplication. I want to keep walking him through RS B to make sure he has a solid math foundation, but I need something more for him. He would thrive on something that he can self-teach and explore. Any suggestions on how to take him deeper into his passions?

I'd let him go at his own pace. I have heard some recommend that you should use two different programs when you have a younger child ahead of an older child. I haven't done that. My younger son is close on the heels of his older brother and often beats him to the punch in a real life math situation. My older son has his own strengths.

I've used Khan Academy http://www.khanacademy.org/ as a tool for discovering what my 3rd grader knows and doesn't know. It has a "tree" that builds skills on each other or you can go in under individual skills to get a different perspective. I pulled her out mid-year and discovered her teacher had skipped around so much that she knew some upper level math skills but was "out of the room in the Gifted program" when something basic was covered.

• 2 weeks later...

When I accelerated my kids in Horizons, I usually skipped the worksheet assignments and had them do the tests (either the ones every 10th lesson or the quarterly exams) just to make sure we weren't missing anything.

If you do decide to let him jump ahead and skip whole levels and work with the older sibling, you could also do something like RightStart math card games to get the basics and mental math covered in a fun way.

I am hesitantly here for the first time, so please be gentle. :001_smile: I am looking for help for my 6yo. His sweet little mind is all about logic, numbers, patterns, and rules. He even loves poetry.

. Any suggestions on how to take him deeper into his passions?

Right Start is a hard curriculum to compact/accelerate because of the scripted nature of the lessons. You might want to consider switching to Singapore with the Intensive Practice book.

I'd give him Singapore and let him be part of his sister's RS C.