Menu

Using SWB's History of the Ancient World

We're back to Ancients next year, and I'm looking at The History of the Ancient World. If you've used this, how did it go? What did you require of your student? How did you schedule? How old was your student?

I'm thinking of using it with 14yod and 16yos. I'm wondering if 13yod (8th gr) would be too young or if I could include her, too. (History loving 17yos has already read it. I'll probably use TheGreatBooks.com for him.)

I'm using it this year with an 11th grader. He reads about 3 chapters a week and I assign identifications and other questions that require several sentences to answer. Sometimes I will have him summarize a section. Ideally I would think of brilliant essay questions also and give occasional tests. I haven't given any tests, but if you search the board I think someone has made a test or review and posted it.

There are some things I wish had been left out of the book, but since my son is older he has read them(except for one-and that was partly for another reason anyway). You might want to preview. Here are a few spots - End of chapter 68-the last section. End of chapter 1(3rd to last paragraph). These are examples of the kinds of things I would want to know about before deciding to let my 13 year old read it or so that we could discuss them. My 13 year old would like the book and be capable of reading it and comprehending it, but he is advanced in his reading and he loves history, so I can't promise that all at that age would be the same way.

HTH,

Kendall

Edited by Kendall

I'm using it this year with an 11th grader. He reads about 3 chapters a week and I assign identifications and other questions that require several sentences to answer. Sometimes I will have him summarize a section. Ideally I would think of brilliant essay questions also and give occasional tests. I haven't given any tests, but if you search the board I think someone has made a test or review and posted it.

There are some things I wish had been left out of the book, but since my son is older he has read them(except for one-and that was partly for another reason anyway). You might want to preview. Here are a few spots - End of chapter 68-the last section. End of chapter 1(3rd to last paragraph). These are examples of the kinds of things I would want to know about before deciding to let my 13 year old read it or so that we could discuss them. My 13 year old would like the book and be capable of reading it and comprehending it, but he is advanced in his reading and he loves history, so I can't promise that all at that age would be the same way.

HTH,

Kendall

Thank you so much for giving your thoughts. I'm going to take your advice and preview. I started to read the book when it first came out but set it aside thinking it would be better to read it when we got ready to do ancients again. I remember now seeing what you mentioned. Thanks for the reminder.

End of chapter 68-the last section. End of chapter 1(3rd to last paragraph). These are examples of the kinds of things I would want to know about before deciding to let my 13 year old read it or so that we could discuss them.

Thanks much for the heads up! Ch 68 is esp questionable for my 13yo dd.

Joan

HTH,

Kendall

Dh and I sat down together last night and read these two passages. We came to the conclusion that things would pretty much go over the head of anyone we were not wanting to fully understand them. I am still planning to read ahead of the kids next year, so I can adjust assignments if I need to. I love the narrative style and am looking forward to using the book with three or four of our children. (17yos says he might want to read it again.)

I just wanted to say thank you again for your advice and for posting the specific passsages. I know that took time.