Menu

Do you have a soft-coated wheaten terrier or a standard poodle?

If you have a soft-coated wheaten terrier or a standard poodle, I would really appreciate it if you would tell me about it. What was it like when it was a puppy, and what is like as an adult? I am interested how intelligent it is, ease of training (including housebreaking), temperament (especially snapping and biting), and behaviors such as chasing cars, running off if it gets out, and so forth.

I realize that some of these things will be addressed as the dog is trained. I've read exhaustively about every breed. I just want to hear about firsthand experience of these two breed's traits. What is it like having your dog as a member of the family?

I am trying to figure out which non-herding dog breeds suit me, in case I decide not to get a collie. I don't like snappy dogs who bite. I don't like aloof dogs. I really want one who will snuggle up next to me on the couch while I read. I like sweet-tempered, calm dogs who like to play, who are easy to train, and who love to spend time with their owners (me, especially). I figure I will be able to take it on walks over hill and dale, about 1-2 miles a day, and I'm not sure what to do in winter when there is snow and ice out. Anyway, it can't be a dog who needs tons of exercise because my cardiologist hasn't cleared me for that, and I don't know if he will.

I know if I get a puppy it will be energetic for the first year or two, no matter how calm the breed is. That is fine with me. I don't want a small dog because it will get stepped on or fallen on. My husband is a big guy (6'2"; 250 lbs) and Grace is not his middle name.

Also, does it catch mice? That would be a plus, because DD is allergic to cats. Actually, it doesn't have to catch them, it just has to intimidate them so they stay away from me. I am getting tired of the kids telling me they saw a mouse because then I have to spend all day with an eagle eye out, wear shoes in the house, and meow loudly every time I walk around.

Thank you so much for your help,

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

My parents have a chocolate standard poodle. I LOVE her! Here eyes almost seem human:001_huh:. She is very intelligent, active- but not overly so, and just an all around good companion. My parents have a lot of acreage and "Tootsie" loves hiking the property, but she doesn't seem overly hyper if she doesn't get as much exercise. They keep her hair in a more natural style, and I think she is stunning:D. From what you have described, I think a standard poodle could be a good fit.

We have a Wheaten as do my IL's. My replies are posted in blue and they represent both of our experiences.

What was it like when it was a puppy? SOOO cute and sweet. Typical puppy though (chewing, some accidents), but he seemed to outgrow the "puppy" stage quickly.

As an adult? He's a great dog - loves people and is wonderful with our houseful of kids. Even my IL's wheaten who isn't around kids on a normal basis does well, much better than their other terrier.

I am interested how intelligent it is- They are a very smart breed. My DH is constantly commenting on how smart our dog is. He seems to understand what we are saying and will almost always do what we ask him to do even if it's a new command. I would say that he's very intuitive.

Ease of training (including housebreaking) - He had very few accidents as a puppy and only a few as an adult (due to our negligence). We have trained him to use only one part of the yard for pottying. My MIL has taught hers many more tricks, but we have kids to teach, so.... Overall, they are very smart and easy to train. They pick up things very quickly and retain what they have been taught.

Temperament (especially snapping and biting) - He has growled once or twice when greatly annoyed. He's been ridden, has had his fur pulled, and has encountered various other things that happen to pets in a home full of children; he always weathers it well. My IL's dog has nipped a child once. However, as mentioned before, he's not around kids consistently.

Behaviors such as chasing cars, running off if it gets out, and so forth. Both dogs LOVE visitors and can charge the door due to their excitement. Our dog will sometimes run out the front door when it's opened but comes right back when called. At our old house, my DH would leave the dog out all day while doing yard work, car repairs, etc. and DD (dear dog) would lay on the driveway the entire time. He has escaped the backyard and will explore the neighborhood, though. I have always been able to locate him or a neighbor will bring him home. He's never chased a car.

I realize that some of these things will be addressed as the dog is trained. I've read exhaustively about every breed. I just want to hear about firsthand experience of these two breed's traits. What is it like having your dog as a member of the family? We all love him. He's very gentle. Loves to be with us, ride in the car, go on trips, take walks, sleep on the couch... He does require regular maintenance such as brushing, bathing, and hair clipping. Since his fur is so soft, it tends to get matted when not attended to regularly. I love that he doesn't shed.

I am trying to figure out which non-herding dog breeds suit me, in case I decide not to get a collie. I don't like snappy dogs who bite. I don't like aloof dogs. No on both. A happy medium?

I really want one who will snuggle up next to me on the couch while I read. I like sweet-tempered, calm dogs who like to play, who are easy to train, and who love to spend time with their owners (me, especially). Yes on all.

I figure I will be able to take it on walks over hill and dale, about 1-2 miles a day, and I'm not sure what to do in winter when there is snow and ice out. Anyway, it can't be a dog who needs tons of exercise because my cardiologist hasn't cleared me for that, and I don't know if he will. He joins right in when we're very active - camping trips, daylong hikes, walks around the neighborhood. He's also just fine sitting at home and enjoying our company. He does love to run in the yard, though, and chase his imaginary friends.

I know if I get a puppy it will be energetic for the for the first year or two, no matter how calm the breed is. That is fine with me. I don't want a small dog because it will get stepped on or fallen on. My husband is a big guy (6'2"; 250 lbs) and Grace is not his middle name. He's a perfect size - not too big and not too small. He's thinks he's a lap dog, but can hold his own and keep up with the fam.

Also, does it catch mice? That would be a plus, because DD is allergic to cats. Actually, it doesn't have to catch them, it just has to intimidate them so they stay away from me. I am getting tired of the kids telling me they saw a mouse because then I have to spend all day with an eagle eye out, wear shoes in the house, and meow loudly every time I walk around. I'm pretty sure that they were originally bred to be a ratter. We have had one mouse (that I know of) and he was all over the place trying to flush it out. He cannot leave a squirrel or chipmunk alone. He also gets very excited when he hears any squeaking noise - the baby squeal, a shoe across the floor, an eraser on the table, a bowl slide across the counter. I'm pretty sure that you could easily train one to be a very efficient mouser.

Overall, he has been a great dog. He's not the most aggressive dog out there (but he does let us know when he senses trouble), but he's not docile either. Oh, I should mention that he does bark, but only rarely in the house. If he's outside though and detects anything out of the ordinary, he'll bark and bark and bark. Also, he's pretty happy in all types of weather. We just keep him groomed shorter in the summer and let him grow out in the winter. He loves the snow and finds it to be great fun. He's very cute to watch in the snow - he almost does snow angels! He comes in looking like a snowman.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Housebreaking my standard poodle was difficult. It took several months before he was no longer dribbling just a little bit because he waited too long before letting us know he needed out. I would say he was 5 or 6 months old. I think their bladders just take longer to mature than some other dogs.

It was a big change from my husky who seemed to be pretty much housebroken at 9 weeks when we brought him home. He was easy.

If you have a soft-coated wheaten terrier or a standard poodle, I would really appreciate it if you would tell me about it. What was it like when it was a puppy, and what is like as an adult?

I have two standard poodles. They are adorable as puppies and great as adults. They are very smart and do need to be trained. My female would get into mischief if she was bored as a puppy. We focused her energy on obedience and it was great. My male had less energy. He iwas and is more content to lounge around.

I am interested how intelligent it is, ease of training (including housebreaking), temperament (especially snapping and biting), and behaviors such as chasing cars, running off if it gets out, and so forth.

The female was the easiest dog ever to housebreak. She started using a puppy pad on day two. Then, when she was bigger, we transitioned her to go outside. The male was harder, but he had some health issues going on that were hard to identify.

There temperament is great too. I have taken mine to kindergarten and preschool classes for visit. I have also taken them to a home with disabled adults for a visit. I can trust them totally even with my newly adopted 15 months old.

They are very intelligent and easy to train. Both of mine won trophies in their obedience class and we were lazy trainers!

I realize that some of these things will be addressed as the dog is trained. I've read exhaustively about every breed. I just want to hear about firsthand experience of these two breed's traits. What is it like having your dog as a member of the family?

Our dogs are awesome members of the family. They want to be with us more than anything.

I am trying to figure out which non-herding dog breeds suit me, in case I decide not to get a collie. I don't like snappy dogs who bite. I don't like aloof dogs. I really want one who will snuggle up next to me on the couch while I read. I like sweet-tempered, calm dogs who like to play, who are easy to train, and who love to spend time with their owners (me, especially). I figure I will be able to take it on walks over hill and dale, about 1-2 miles a day, and I'm not sure what to do in winter when there is snow and ice out. Anyway, it can't be a dog who needs tons of exercise because my cardiologist hasn't cleared me for that, and I don't know if he will.

My Standard Poodles don't need a ton of exercise.

I know if I get a puppy it will be energetic for the first year or two, no matter how calm the breed is. That is fine with me. I don't want a small dog because it will get stepped on or fallen on. My husband is a big guy (6'2"; 250 lbs) and Grace is not his middle name.

Also, does it catch mice? That would be a plus, because DD is allergic to cats. Actually, it doesn't have to catch them, it just has to intimidate them so they stay away from me. I am getting tired of the kids telling me they saw a mouse because then I have to spend all day with an eagle eye out, wear shoes in the house, and meow loudly every time I walk around.

Mine have never caught mice that I know of!

Thank you so much for your help,

RC

Good Luck!

Suzanne

Edited by Suzanne115
easier to read

I have a standard poodle and I really considered a Wheaton when we chose the poodle. I think they are both great breeds. The poodle has been very easy to train and is a great family dog. She is cuddly and affectionate. She likes to play but isn't wild.

I didn't get my standard poodle as a puppy, so I can't address housebreaking. She was not well housebroken when I got her from a shelter, but mastered it quite quickly for us.

The only downside is that she will get into trouble if she is bored. I think the same applies to a Wheaton though. Intelligent dogs need to have something to keep them mentally occupied. One more downside with my poodle, she can easily jump a 6 foot fence. I live in the country and it didn't matter, but it is a real issue for some.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really enjoyed reading about your dogs. Both breeds sound wonderful. They, along with a collie, make up my short list for breed of dog to buy.

I called our landlord, and he was enthusiastic about all three breeds and happy to give us permission to get another dog.

Having had a rough collie, I am prepared for grooming and for life with a highly intelligent dog. Teddy was never alone, and I don't think our next dog will be either, so that helps.

My sister has a wheaten. He is a wonderful boy! He is pretty sure he is a real boy, actually. We were fairly certain he was part mountain goat or maybe gazelle because his climbing, jumping, and leaping abilities are so, um, impressive. As a pup, he and my sister lived on a farm so he could run through fields. Sometimes my sister had to chase after to be sure where he was, but he never ran off. I have never had even the slightest reservation about him with my boys. They both adore him. When I had trouble with my second dog, who had been abused, I called on the wheaten. My big nervous guy would do anything if he could do it with the wheaten. Saved us many times, and saved my old fellow. Although not aggressive in the least, he is protective when you'd want him to be. He's handsome, charming, and very intelligent. He isn't a mouser. My mom had a miniature Schnauzer who moused, so we were hopeful when mice came to her cottage. No luck. I hope you find a wonderful dog!

My sister has a wheaten. He is a wonderful boy! He is pretty sure he is a real boy, actually. We were fairly certain he was part mountain goat or maybe gazelle because his climbing, jumping, and leaping abilities are so, um, impressive. As a pup, he and my sister lived on a farm so he could run through fields. Sometimes my sister had to chase after to be sure where he was, but he never ran off. I have never had even the slightest reservation about him with my boys. They both adore him. When I had trouble with my second dog, who had been abused, I called on the wheaten. My big nervous guy would do anything if he could do it with the wheaten. Saved us many times, and saved my old fellow. Although not aggressive in the least, he is protective when you'd want him to be. He's handsome, charming, and very intelligent. He isn't a mouser. My mom had a miniature Schnauzer who moused, so we were hopeful when mice came to her cottage. No luck. I hope you find a wonderful dog!

Oh, so true. He loves to jump and climb. Yes, very impressive!

I have a standard - my mom has two standards - I adore standard poodles! Mine was very easy to housebreak. He's a big dog, but thinks he's a lap dog :-) Mine has chased mice, but never caught them.

One of my mother's standards has caught a mouse and is always alert to the possibility of repeating this heroic deed! He's also very interested in the gophers in my parents' backyard.

Anne